2013 Law Cohort Rollcall (1 Viewer)

deswa1

HSC
Hey I'm George and I'm doing comm/law

Ang3les3nce

HSC
Hi guys!
I'm Kitty and I'll be starting Comm/Law this year!
Just a question- when do we get tickets for the law camp? Just making sure I won't miss out. Haha :)

Naz1234

HSC
Hi I am Michael. I am not a first year but I am around to help out if anyone has any problems.

My degree is Commerce (Finance)/Law :)

I would recommend going to law camp if you can. Great way to make friends. I made most of my friends there. It is also a great opportunity to know people from higher years to ask for advice and stuff.
Hii Michael.

I will be starting B business and commerce/B laws this year. I am really confused as to how law students actually set their study notes
and how they organise lecture notes etc. What I had in mind is to basically summarize readings for each subject and thus make that your own notes.
But I have heard from students who did this and said its not a very method because you simply wont have time for it.
Probably because law has so much readings.

Any idea's, tips or advice? im super confused.

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi guys!
I'm Kitty and I'll be starting Comm/Law this year!
Just a question- when do we get tickets for the law camp? Just making sure I won't miss out. Haha :)
Usually Week 2 of Semester but if they are well organised maybe even Week 1. BSOC sells their camp tickets on day 1 of O-Week so if you want to go to that make sure you rock up on first day of oweek.

Hii Michael.

I will be starting B business and commerce/B laws this year. I am really confused as to how law students actually set their study notes
and how they organise lecture notes etc. What I had in mind is to basically summarize readings for each subject and thus make that your own notes.
But I have heard from students who did this and said its not a very method because you simply wont have time for it.
Probably because law has so much readings.

Any idea's, tips or advice? im super confused.
I usually summarise my readings as I go. However, this is usually not my notes. The way you structure notes for the course will depend on the assessment format. If it's an essay like format, then you set notes according to topics. If the format is a problem scenario, then you set your notes according to a scaffold so that when it comes to exams, you copy your scaffold and fill in relevant bits.

For e.g. half of Public Law is essay based. So I arrange my notes according to topics like Bill of Rights, Right To Vote, Separation of Power etc.

Whereas for Torts, it's a problem scenario, I will write my notes as a scaffold like.

"In order to determine whether ____x____ was negligent towards ______y_____, we need to determine whether ____x___ owed ____y___ a duty of care, whether ___x____ breached that duty of care and whether as a result of _____x's____ breach, _____y____ suffered damages. (Insert case name here)"\

There is an essay bit but I am using the problem scenario as an example.

Something like that.

Naz1234

HSC
Usually Week 2 of Semester but if they are well organised maybe even Week 1. BSOC sells their camp tickets on day 1 of O-Week so if you want to go to that make sure you rock up on first day of oweek.

I usually summarise my readings as I go. However, this is usually not my notes. The way you structure notes for the course will depend on the assessment format. If it's an essay like format, then you set notes according to topics. If the format is a problem scenario, then you set your notes according to a scaffold so that when it comes to exams, you copy your scaffold and fill in relevant bits.

For e.g. half of Public Law is essay based. So I arrange my notes according to topics like Bill of Rights, Right To Vote, Separation of Power etc.

Whereas for Torts, it's a problem scenario, I will write my notes as a scaffold like.

"In order to determine whether ____x____ was negligent towards ______y_____, we need to determine whether ____x___ owed ____y___ a duty of care, whether ___x____ breached that duty of care and whether as a result of _____x's____ breach, _____y____ suffered damages. (Insert case name here)"\

There is an essay bit but I am using the problem scenario as an example.

Something like that.
So basically your notes will depend on what the assessment is. In other words, summarising
readings, lecture's etc and making them your notes is not as useful for studying....? Right?

But when you actually start uni do you get like an Assessment booklet or something? like which tell you when
your assessment will be....just the date and the topic for it?
So that would then help you set your study notes.....???

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
So basically your notes will depend on what the assessment is. In other words, summarising
readings, lecture's etc and making them your notes is not as useful for studying....? Right?

But when you actually start uni do you get like an Assessment booklet or something? like which tell you when
your assessment will be....just the date and the topic for it?
So that would then help you set your study notes.....???
summarising readings and lectures help you with writing up your exam notes later. It's kinda hard to explain how notes should be. If I meet you in person I would probably explain it better.

All courses will have a Course Outline which basically outlines reading schedule and assessment schedule.

Naz1234

HSC
summarising readings and lectures help you with writing up your exam notes later. It's kinda hard to explain how notes should be. If I meet you in person I would probably explain it better.

All courses will have a Course Outline which basically outlines reading schedule and assessment schedule.

Oh okk. I guess thats what I meant, study notes. I do understand...sort of.
ahaha Thanx micheal <3

I go to UWS, missed Maqc by 2 ATAR points.

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
Oh okk. I guess thats what I meant, study notes. I do understand...sort of.
ahaha Thanx micheal <3

I go to UWS, missed Maqc by 2 ATAR points.
You're welcome. Do well first year and you can apply for a transfer :)

Naz1234

HSC
You're welcome. Do well first year and you can apply for a transfer :)
Lol yea the B business and commerce/law (BC/L) course at UWS is not equivalent to the Comm/law course at Macq. I was surprised this course (BC/L) is actually not offered at any other uni except for uws, its not even offered at UNSW. Can you believe it! hahaha i guess in stuck with UWS. Looking forward to it though.

lawstu

HSC
I cant find the quiz :(
pp. 27–31, of 56 pages.
You can't miss p. 31. There are these nine caricatures that are rather different from the rest of the document. Had to do a double back when I saw it.

I have to hand it to UNSW Law Society. It seems to diverse and genuinely multicultural/multiethnic. Go it!

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
pp. 27–31, of 56 pages.
You can't miss p. 31. There are these nine caricatures that are rather different from the rest of the document. Had to do a double back when I saw it.

I have to hand it to UNSW Law Society. It seems to diverse and genuinely multicultural/multiethnic. Go it!
JDs and LLBs are pretty integrated too within LawSoc. Not entirely 100% but I would say around 70-80%. They still working on the rest :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)