2014 Extension 2 BOS Trial Exam Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

mreditor16

HSC
i constructed a quadrilateral using the points z, z+1, 1, and 0. and since it's a parallelogram, where the diagonal bisects the base angle, it must be a rhombus -> |z| = 1

obviously with exception z = -1 because then it's not a quadrilateral
hmm okay, anyone do it sorta algebraicly?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
i constructed a quadrilateral using the points z, z+1, 1, and 0. and since it's a parallelogram, where the diagonal bisects the base angle, it must be a rhombus -> |z| = 1

obviously with exception z = -1 because then it's not a quadrilateral
It was a circle.

Hi there444

HSC
Hey all, I did the exam today at home. If anyone would like to compare or discuss answers, here are mine:

View attachment 31002.

I didn't include the three questions I drew diagrams for (two graphing q's and the circle geometry), I might do them in paint tomorrow lol...don't have a scanner.

I also didn't include every step of my working in this, so please ask if anything is unclear or if I just made sillies/typoes.
Ahhhh I cant see glittergal. Divine light is burning my eyes ahhhh.

Hi there444

HSC
It was a circle.
Was that the locus one? bahahahah idont know why I got x^2+y^2 =1 .I started day dreaming in the middle of the test for the rest of the test. I saw carrots face when hed looked at me and he was just like 'do some math and stop dreaming'. What to do- need my energy drink quota everyday :(....

Hi there444

HSC
Carret, would you have done it how aDimtri did it? Is there any neat algebraic way?
I failed this test. I threw away all my chances of getting a good mark in 4u. What would you do for integration one? I had no idea? I tried every kinda manipulation but in the end got tired of trying.
Edit: the first one.

Last edited:

mreditor16

HSC
I failed this test. I threw away all my chances of getting a good mark in 4u. What would you do for integration one? I had no idea? I tried every kinda manipulation but in the end got tired of trying.
Edit: the first one.
I haven't tried the test yet. I was only asking about 11 e) just then, because a non-BOS friend emailed me asking how to do the question. and I recognised it from when I looked through the 4u bos trials :D

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Carret, would you have done it how aDimtri did it? Is there any neat algebraic way?
Not that I know of, using vectors is extremely straightforward.

11e) was posted on one of the marathon threads recently (before BOS trials)
What a coincidence! I did not know that.

Whoever wrote that problem probably had the same mindset as me, wanting to screw over those who blindly sub in z=x+iy.

aDimitri

i'm the cook
HSC
Not that I know of, using vectors is extremely straightforward.

What a coincidence! I did not know that.

Whoever wrote that problem probably had the same mindset as me, wanting to screw over those who blindly sub in z=x+iy.
i did the 2003 paper on thursday so when i saw it in BOS trials it was a good moment

aDimitri

i'm the cook
HSC
Wouldn't the locus be the circle |z|=1 as well as the ray x>-1 where x=/=0?
uhh no that doesn't work but come to think of it you are right that there should be more than just the circle. it works for the entire real axis except for -1 <= x <= 0

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Currently marking the paper, the highest mark for Question 16 is 14/15.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)