2016 Federal Election (1 Viewer)

Who will receive your first preference vote in the House of Representatives?

• Liberal / National

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Labor

Votes: 14 51.9%
  • Greens

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Independent / Minor Party

Votes: 5 18.5%

• Total voters

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
Re: 2016 Election Chit-Chat Thread

I don't know much about politics and can't be bothered Googling it, but which party is Shorten and which party does Turnbull belong to?

Flop21

HSC

oh no, you have to wait a few more minutes to torrent game of thrones, cry me a fucking river

Pre-tertiary education, sure. But there's absolutely no reason taxpayers should be forced to subsidise worthless arts students.

No, they're not at all. Seems to me you've fallen for labor's scare campaign

Gee, it might be this little thing called ALL OF THEIR POLICIES
If you think education is a cost and not an investment, I don't want anything to do with you. You sadden me. Same goes with the NBN. Liberal also have been butchering TAFE. It's sick. Education needs to be something that everyone can obtain. We should be striving to make it accessible to everyone. Making education costly does the OPPOSITE.

Why should I settle for a government who does those things? Oh wait, I don't have to. We live in a country where there's more than one party to vote for!

-

If anyone's undecided on their vote, or wants to throw it away, just vote Labor. Don't vote for those who want to make you fork out more money for your uni degrees / education (Liberal).

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC

If you think education is a cost and not an investment, I don't want anything to do with you.
you can't just consider it "education" as a category. Teaching kids how to read and write is an investment. Doing an arts degree is not.

But if its such a great investment then surely people should have no problem paying for it then, no?

Same goes with the NBN.
It may be an investment for certain businesses, not households. But if thats the case, why dont businesses just pay for fibre to premises themselves?

Education needs to be something that everyone can obtain. We should be striving to make it accessible to everyone.
It already is.

Making education costly does the OPPOSITE.
arts students are a drain on society. the less of them the better

If anyone's undecided on their vote, or wants to throw it away, just vote Labor. Don't vote for those who want to make you fork out more money for your uni degrees / education (Liberal).
Oh no, a bunch of spoilt uni kids paying a bit more for their degrees. Working class australians definitely need more of their money going towards cheaper uni degrees, right?

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad

Your vote is actually more important than most people here. Many seats are safe, but you're in a significant swing seat, one that dictated who was going to be in government in 2010.
You people who don't give a crap really surprise me. You'd think you'd want to have a say in your country's future. The whole reason we have this system is so everyone can have their say.

Don't waste your vote.
Yep . it also triggers me when people don't vote or scribble on their paper.

We are at least given the opportunity to pick our leaders and live in a somewhat democratic country. There are so many countries that are not given this opportunity and have no say in who becomes their leader.

Don't take it for granted.
my attitude is that if both parties are actually going to do something to help the future of this country I would absolutely vote for the party that has my best interests/the one i like over the other. however i haven't seen much change since the last time I gave a shit about the government. sure they built west connex and whatever then they screwed it up again because they put tolls on it so most people will take alternate routes. they tried to fix the congestion then they just pushed it elsewhere. other examples, light rail, medicare etc. imo i wouldn't take any government or political party in Australia seriously. you'd think they'd have some sort of advisory or something to help them plan out stuff but it seems like it's pretty ad hoc in election years

D94

HSC
N/A

my attitude is that if both parties are actually going to do something to help the future of this country I would absolutely vote for the party that has my best interests/the one i like over the other. however i haven't seen much change since the last time I gave a shit about the government. sure they built west connex and whatever then they screwed it up again because they put tolls on it so most people will take alternate routes. they tried to fix the congestion then they just pushed it elsewhere. other examples, light rail, medicare etc. imo i wouldn't take any government or political party in Australia seriously. you'd think they'd have some sort of advisory or something to help them plan out stuff but it seems like it's pretty ad hoc in election years
That's because the last time a political party had a majority in both houses was in the Howard era. Without a majority in both houses, progress will inevitably be slow.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad

That's because the last time a political party had a majority in both houses was in the Howard era. Without a majority in both houses, progress will inevitably be slow.
so what we need to do is make it roughly half-half to see significant progress?

so according to this

http://www.abc.net.au/news/federal-election-2016/guide/preview-national/ Coalition has 160 and labor has 150, so we need to vote for labor so it's about ~155 per party?

sorry i am a noob at politics

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad

so according to this

http://www.abc.net.au/news/federal-election-2016/guide/preview-national/ Coalition has 160 and labor has 150, so we need to vote for labor so it's about ~155 per party?

D94

HSC
N/A

so according to this

There are 150 seats in the House of Representatives, and 76 seats in the Senate. To pass a bill into legislation, the bill needs to be passed by both houses. Without having a majority in both houses, you can expect the opposing party to vote against a bill in its initial form, meaning progress in slow.

To have a majority in both houses, a party would need at least 76 in the HoR and 39 in the Senate. The last time this occurred was in 2004 when the Coalition led by Howard won 87 in the HoR and 39 in the Senate. It's not impossible to get things done, since the last time before Howard that a party had a majority in both houses was in 1981, but bills will require negotiation with smaller and independent parties, slowing down progress.

Kolmias

HSC

There are 150 seats in the House of Representatives, and 76 seats in the Senate. To pass a bill into legislation, the bill needs to be passed by both houses. Without having a majority in both houses, you can expect the opposing party to vote against a bill in its initial form, meaning progress in slow.

To have a majority in both houses, a party would need at least 76 in the HoR and 39 in the Senate. The last time this occurred was in 2004 when the Coalition led by Howard won 87 in the HoR and 39 in the Senate. It's not impossible to get things done, since the last time before Howard that a party had a majority in both houses was in 1981, but bills will require negotiation with smaller and independent parties, slowing down progress.
Unlikely that the Libs will gain a majority in the Senate though.

Flop21

HSC
There's a snapchat filter that says "VOTE LIBERAL". Screw that, Labor needs to get on that shit.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I can see why some people choose to donkey vote and hence the reasons behind Squar3's decisions. However I don't agree that nothing has happened over the past few years. Plenty of things have changed.

There's a lot that can happen in politics and politicians are asking everyone to trust them. Think about it. A stranger is handling the future of your country. Do you really choose to trust them? As a result, a lot of people may feel that political campaigns are deceptive and hence don't bother to pay any attention. As a result, it's a few days before voting and many people are undecided. It's just a problem with how political campaigns are run.

Voting from everyone is important. It should be a right. However, some feel that it is just a responsibility given the nature of politics. If voting was not compulsory, then how many people would actually vote? (although this is a bad thing as then voting would have a corrupt nature if voting was not compulsory)

If you get annoyed by the fact that some people donkey vote then consider the fact that some people consider it a burden due to the nature of politics. It's sad that some people don't care but I don't think it's their fault. Consider what just occurred with the Brexit as well.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Completed my "cheat list" for preferences for down the line voting.

I'm ready for voting!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)