2016ers Chit-Chat Thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

leehuan

HSC
One does not simply improve in English. I've decided that English is just a RNG simulator, and they assign you a random number between 0 and 20.
No, but miracles happened when I tried.

StudiousStudent

HSC
Does dropping 2 subjects at the start of the year, and getting kicked out of drama in prelim (along with a mate) make me a quitter? apparently we laughed too much, which you're not meant to do in serious scenes.

Wish I chose a language, would've liked to continue doing French.

leehuan

HSC
Does dropping 2 subjects at the start of the year, and getting kicked out of drama in prelim (along with a mate) make me a quitter? apparently we laughed too much, which you're not meant to do in serious scenes.

Wish I chose a language, would've liked to continue doing French.
You're not a quitter in my eyes until you have less than 10 units unnecessarily.

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
Can physics-chemistry genius explain this to me? Why in cathode ray tubes is cathode negative and anode is positive? Meanwhile in Chemistry its the other way around?
This is one of the very mysteries that will remain unsolved. I've asked both my phys tutor and phys teacher which one is more correct and neither could give a definitive answer (especially the latter, soo bad)

MilkyCat_

HSC
Can physics-chemistry genius explain this to me? Why in cathode ray tubes is cathode negative and anode is positive? Meanwhile in Chemistry its the other way around?
they use conventional current in physics and electron current in galvanic cells is my only guess

Jeff_

HSC
Yeah actually thought of this before, here's a good explaination from the good old internet that seems to make sense:

In chemistry, a cathode is the electrode where reduction (gain of electrons) takes place. So for it to gain negative electrons, it'll have to be positive.

In physics, a cathode is a source of electrons (already been reduced) so it'll be classed as negative.

leehuan

HSC
This is one of the very mysteries that will remain unsolved. I've asked both my phys tutor and phys teacher which one is more correct and neither could give a definitive answer (especially the latter, soo bad)
Historically, they had no clue about whether it was positive or negative charge that was the cause of electricity. For their convenience, you can expect why they simply assumed that the positive charge was what moved.

Conventional current is classified as the flow of "positive test charge" across a circuit. We know now that it doesn't exist, rather electron current is what actually happens. Electron current is obviously a flow of negative charge, but in reality it's just the flow of electrons.

Most of the physics that is at least taught (I can't say for sure how much of it we still apply today) is based off the original belief of conventional current. This occurs due to the fact that a ton of the physical models that we use today (heck, even the definition of CURRENT) relies on conventional current. Because it was historically assigned that charge would leave the anode and enter the cathode, in the CRT we supposedly say that it has a positive anode and negative cathode.

This is obviously not true as we know it now.

Chemistry is more interested in the behaviour of substances at the atomic level. Electrons play a crucial role as the concept of ions needs to be refurbished in the chemistry course. The chemists therefore choose to neglect the historical analysis and use the more convenient one for them.

UnbiasedProductivity

The lurker.
HSC
You know that feeling when you sit down to get work done, then realize how much work there is to be done, and you feel really down?
But then you play some sick tunes and it revs you up and then you smash through all the work?
Fkin feels amazing.

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
You know that feeling when you sit down to get work done, then realize how much work there is to be done, and you feel really down?
But then you play some sick tunes and it revs you up and then you smash through all the work?
Fkin feels amazing.
I always seem to miss this part

si2136

HSC
N/A
Fkin feels amazing.
Listening to the instrumental version of Kygo's Firestone works for me.

StudiousStudent

HSC
Productive day overall - 854 words written for my 1200 word assignment, planning on finishing it tonight. Love that I was able to choose the topic, easy marks.

Might be MIA for a few days. 9hrs 9mins til my first legal drink :drink:

leehuan

HSC
Productive day overall - 854 words written for my 1200 word assignment, planning on finishing it tonight. Love that I was able to choose the topic, easy marks.

Might be MIA for a few days. 9hrs 9mins til my first legal drink :drink:
Well we all know what you do behind the scenes now tsk tsk tsk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)