2nd person narration (1 Viewer)

Emph

HSC
In some crazed frame of mind I promised my teacher as well as myself that I will incorporate some 2nd person narration into my short story.

Although this sounds like a fantastic idea, I can't seem to start. I have never tried 2nd person before and in truth I dont know how. I just can't write it. It is actually very intimidating.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to help me I would truly appreciate it.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
hmm how long is the narration going to be?

2nd person is slightly tricky, you have to remember not to hit the reader over the head with what you're trying to say. also it works better with an ambiguous paragraph, something that you're trying to make the reader empathise with perhaps? so don't overuse "you".

HSC
N/A
Eeek. 2nd person can be finicky to play with.

It works best in "Choose Your Own Adventure" type situations, or short interludes. Anything more is overkill because the "you, you, you" think can't be sustained for very long without driving both reader AND writer insane.

However you can reduce the "you, you, you" monotony by adding in descriptions of landscape etc (eg spacefillers).

Emph

HSC
Tulipa said:
hmm how long is the narration going to be?
It is only going to be used in short intervals. The style of my work is such that I use a variety or perspective and mediums to tell the story. It sounds a bit unusual but it actually works.

glitterfairy said:
2nd person can be finicky to play with.
tell me about it!!!

passion89

HSC
Emph said:
It is only going to be used in short intervals. The style of my work is such that I use a variety or perspective and mediums to tell the story. It sounds a bit unusual but it actually works.

That sounds like a really good idea :) Be sure to keep us up to date with it. My friend's doing something very similar

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Curious, does it have something to do with your concept? What's it on

*smiles* is it on postmodernism....? The whole author/character/composer thing?

I suggest Italo Calvino's "If On A Winters Night A Traveller". Even just the first chapter, it is entirely 2nd person, and quite enjoyable to read.

Emph

HSC
ur_inner_child said:
Curious, does it have something to do with your concept? What's it on

*smiles* is it on postmodernism....? The whole author/character/composer thing?
Funnily enough no. My topic for extension one is the Individual and Society. I actually know nothing at all about postmodernism but I have frequently been told that my work is starting to reflect some postmodernist aspects.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Emph said:
Funnily enough no. My topic for extension one is the Individual and Society. I actually know nothing at all about postmodernism but I have frequently been told that my work is starting to reflect some postmodernist aspects.
I wouldn't recommend you to do anything deliberately postmodern, especially meaning you'd be competing with people who are doing postmodernism in EE1.

But I do strongly suggest you find out what elements of your writing is reflecting postmodern aspects. It may lead to inspire you, or help you by showing the marker how fully aware you are of your writing, by brushing over it a little in your future Reflection Statement.

J

jhakka

If you want to see a great example of 2nd-person narration, check out this major work:
http://community.boredofstudies.org/1171434/post-107.html

I'm more of a first person writer myself, and find third challenging when I haven't done it for a while. I can't even imagine how difficult second would be.

As Stef said, though: Know what parts of your story are postmodern-ish. Touch on it in your RS. Also, use second person only if it adds to the overall effect of your work. No use putting it in if it doesn't do anything except look weird. If you do it, be sure to mention it in your RS. You need to justify it and tell everyone why it was great.

goldendawn

ὄσον ζῆς...
HSC
Yeah, I agree with Jhakka, Glitterfairy and ur inner child - but just as a proviso - second person isn't in itself postmodern. Alot of people get mixed up about what postmodernism is, both as a style and an intellectual movement. You might for example, like the postmodern aesthetic, but not the ideology. I reckon second person can have an avant garde, perhaps even film noir aura to it, which can be relly cool for building suspense and getting the readers attention - as Glitterfairy said, though - keeping it with seond person is a whole different thing, hehe.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Ah, second person is like trying to french kiss a bouquette of broken glass - very painful at the best of times.

As has already been said, monotony is a key thing to avoid with second person as the word "you" is used constantly. However I think this is more because we aren't exactly taught to write creatively in second person as its used more often in instructions and so on, but you can submerge this repetition within your tone and language so that its not quite as noticeable.

Also, you may find Carlos Fuentes' The Death of Artemio Cruz of interest as he moves between the various persons throughout the narrative.

Oh, and as a tidbit - if you want to wax poetic or rant then second person is slightly easier IMO.;)

J

jhakka

Emph said:
Sorry but there was absolutely no second person included in that story. It was a good reflection statement though.
Isn't 2nd person the use of "you" instead of "I" or "they"?

*confused*

EDIT: Ok, that was in the first. Was going from memory, and could have sworn it was Llyrai's that was 2nd person.

HSC
N/A
jhakka said:
Isn't 2nd person the use of "you" instead of "I" or "they"?

*confused*

EDIT: Ok, that was in the first. Was going from memory, and could have sworn it was Llyrai's that was 2nd person.
Nope, it wasn't. (and I say this from a 2-yr-ish memory gap)

I win! (again) :p

*hands Justin consolation chocolate cake*

Emph

HSC
jhakka said:
That's OK... I forgive you! :)

By the way thanks for all your help everyone with this.

From the looks of it many people are doubting if I can pull it off but I have to caution you that you are saying this without fully understanding my concept. This is almost certainly my own fault as I have not told you... but can you really blame me for not wanting to broadcast my HSC Major Work idea on a public forum? Let me tell you now that 2nd person is not going to detract anything at all from my MW; in fact not using 2nd person where I am intending on using it would probably be considered a gross crime against writing.

Anyway keep the suggestions coming and thanks again to everyone who has already helped!

J

jhakka

Hahaha. Again, I apologise one thousand times. Like Lynn, I was thinking about a story I read two years ago. Doesn't do much for the memory. ;)

Mate, I can understand exactly why you don't want to broadcast your idea on a public forum. I still haven't posted my Major Work, though a couple have read it.

Good luck with your story. I hope to eventually be allowed to read it. :)

Emph

HSC
jhakka said:
Good luck with your story. I hope to eventually be allowed to read it. :)
For being so nice you most certainly can read it! That is when it is finished of course... about 2000 words to go and a whole heap of editing!

Asheroth

Paranoid Android
HSC
Best example of second person I can remember is at the start of some Discworld books by Terry Pratchett. It doesn't overload on the you's and it's generally done very well. I just realised that a section of my own work is relatively similar, so you can see how it's done:

Asheroth's major work said:
This is Freedom City.

If you watch closely, you can see movement; millions of people walking, talking, fighting, flying, inventing the next generation of solar power, having dinner with Picasso. Every person is a world, the world is merely what a person perceives of it, and people perceive only what they want to. The Guideline defines all.
It's like describing something to someone.

My goodness my MW is terrible. I'll have to go and fix up the writing style when I've done my draft.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)