2u/3u maths (1 Viewer)

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
hey i do 2 and 3 u maths and anyways we have one class so we do the 2u and 3u stuff together ( like for eng we have a separate adv. and ext class) but for maths its all together. anyway so we concentrate more on the 3u stuff coz its harder. for the 2u stuff we fully only do two questions on each thing while the actual, 2u classes do about 20 q's. also they have 2u tests that we dont do! anyways im just wondering does this in away dis advantage u? coz im thinking i wish to drop ext maths next year but i cant coz i wanna drop chem more but yeah although we cover the 3u stuff, we dont cover the 2u stuff, so when we did the 2u exam we wont know how to do it!

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
well really if your a 3 unit student then i gues they asume you find the 2 unit stuff "easy". thats what happened with us. not so much easy, but theyr things that you can do by yourself. but then again, we got tuahgt both. youre lucky you have one clas doing maths and ext 1 work together. some schools have like everyone does 2 unit, then the ext 1 is offline and a seperate class. i find it a bit odd how you guys dont do the 2 unit test because you guys are ranked against them too. in a way its a disadvantge, but the tacher prob thinks your a capable enough bunch to do exatra study. maybe theyre teaching you 2 unit stuff and youre just not realising it.

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
^^ i dunno coz they only give us like one question to work through for the 2u stuff and im like yeah i can do it, but when we actually do the test they have harder ones and i havent had practise. next year i think i might do better with just doing 2u but my mum wants me to do 3u so i have an extra unit, but im like if i do 3u i wont do as good in 2u!

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by kimmeh
well really if your a 3 unit student then i gues they asume you find the 2 unit stuff "easy". thats what happened with us. not so much easy, but theyr things that you can do by yourself. but then again, we got tuahgt both. youre lucky you have one clas doing maths and ext 1 work together. some schools have like everyone does 2 unit, then the ext 1 is offline and a seperate class. i find it a bit odd how you guys dont do the 2 unit test because you guys are ranked against them too. in a way its a disadvantge, but the tacher prob thinks your a capable enough bunch to do exatra study. maybe theyre teaching you 2 unit stuff and youre just not realising it.
they r teaching as the 2u stuff, but so brief, ie we have like one period a week on 2u. and he gave us the test like the test questions and just said take it home and do it when u want and that was that ( like we dont have to hand it back in) so im just like yeah we r gonna stuff up on 2u and it is worth 2 units and we will do good in 3u but \thats only 1 unit wortj so maybe it is best for me next year just to do 10 units, including 2u maths thus i would actually learn the 2u stuff in class

Numero Uno

HSC
i also have the same scheme in my school
but we also do the 2 unit tests
i personally think 2 units easy , the problem is if ur finding 3 unit easy and 2 unit hard ? i think ur better off studying hard on 2 unit since its the foundations for 3 unit work

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
^^^ mmm the prob. is next year i would just like to do 2u coz i think i would do better at it than if i did 2u and 3u but then i would only have 10 units and if i stuff up in wnglish im stuffed

~dEjA vOuX~

Home Brand
HSC
They don't spend that much time on 2u in class, but they expect you to do heaps at home. You have to make sure you do all your 2u homework and extra stuff, and if you have problems, ask your teacher.

Heinz

The Musical Fruit
HSC
why dont you ask your teachers for a copy of the test? 2units pretty simple, you should be able to do most of it on your own anyway. half an hours worth of excercises a night is more than enough practice

funrun

u could alwys get tutoring it mite help and worth it if u do beta

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by ~dEjA vOuX~
They don't spend that much time on 2u in class, but they expect you to do heaps at home. You have to make sure you do all your 2u homework and extra stuff, and if you have problems, ask your teacher.
because i am thinking for the hsc, next year i am better off doing 2u maths and only 10 units all up, than doing 3u maths as an extra unit, if that makes sense

m1nx

HSC
Originally posted by *girl04*
because i am thinking for the hsc, next year i am better off doing 2u maths and only 10 units all up, than doing 3u maths as an extra unit, if that makes sense
that is exactly what i'm doing this year :) had more or less the same dilemma w/ the mixed 2u/3u class~ i could do 3u perfectly fine, but as we hadn't spent enough time on 2u stuff (and i didn't have enough time to do that at home) that as the year progressed, it became more difficult for me to keep up bc i hadn't managed to learn the absolute basics as well as i should/could have. [throughout the year, all of my 3u exams were that much higher than 2u- which is STUPID !?!?!] oh, and add to it the fact that i absolutely hated my teacher :rolleyes: i realised that if i was going to spend more time than i should be for maths and get meh, adequate marks - not the 90+ i want to get - and my 2u was suffering bc of my 3u (and i'm thinking in terms of 2 units VS the 1 unit~ opportunity cost!) it was easier to just drop it and concentrate on the 10units i had equally. personally, i think that was the best thing i've done this year, heh.

skotgb

3u/2u comparison

hey, i was in 3u like you for the first half of a year in year eleven,
and i agree that they dont teach the 2u stuff and just expect you to know it. i've got too many subjects (phys, chem, etc) that expect me to be completely self motivated. AND IM NOT.
I was going worse in 2u than 3u, i failed my 2u h/y and passed my 3u h/y

but when i dropped i found that they 2u stuff was easier bcos it was explained to me, i could do the 3u stuff, but i found the course was very dense, like all hsc courses, only worse, and my teacher was bad at explaining.

i also did ext eng for two terms, and it was a great class, easier than my adv english, but the teacher was a rude prick, every week he would criticise us for not reading enough, and tell us that we weren't at the level for extension, and he would talk with his eyes closed... that was strange, but worse.. he would eat peanuts and spit them as he spoke, and of course he would be sitting right in front of us........ eewww,
unluckily my friend sara was closest and copped it the most:(

if you do 2u, you will probably find it easier to cope with the workload and everything will be explained better

p.s. if yoiu like the teacher, theres more reason to stay in the subject, my maths teacher was a perverted, sweaty middle-aged combover type........ my friend emma was the only girl in a class of six, poor thing....

Zarathustra

Dasein
The ficticious world of subject, substance, "reaso
HSC
At my school they have 2U/3U for 3U people only, I don't understand how it could work any other way??? - especially for the people doing 4-unit. Part of the ext-1 course is harder 2U, this is most easily incorporated into the teaching of 2U - this couldn't be done if the 2U stuff is taught in a combined class??? - for 4-unit it's different because it only a one year course and so many people drop.
Out of interest, who has a 2-unit class and a specific ext-1 line/class - how does this work out?
- if you don't want to do extension don't (duh), you know what will be in your best interest, in regards to school, more than your parents (you've only been going 12-13 yrs:rofl: )

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
^^^ im happy to just do 2u maths ( ive been thinking bout it) meaning i will only have 10 units BUT im worried for my eng. ext coz if i stuff it, it has to count n i suck at eng. so yeah im stuffed@ coz if i do 3u maths i have dat extra unit, but then i wont do as well coz we dont get taught. grrrr

mishka

HSC
N/A
At my school, we can't have more than 26 ppl in a class. So when people chose 2u and 3u when I was in yr 11 last yr, 24 chose 2u and 13 chose 3u. It seems to work ok!!!

:. we have a 2u class and a separate 3u class on the same line. For us 3u's we do an extra hour and a half per week, and this is to get all the 3u stuff done. Now there's only 6 people 3u's!!! It's such a cool class!!! We cover all 2u topics and go a little faster than the 2u class to get the 3u topics done too!!!

The only problem is that we don't always know where the 2u's are up to so when assessments come around, we are stuck asking the 2u teacher what's in the test!!!

My advice would be: stick with it, buy an Excel guide (they're good summaries, but you should still make your own!) and if u have any probs ask ur teacher, or the head teacher. If u can master 2u, give 3u a try. But you have to know the basics before you can expect to move to harder things.

rumour

HSC
if you do 3unit, they assume you can do 2unit.

we dont get tought 2unit at all!

this must be why we all fail the 2 unit tests! LOL!

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
FAILING 2U as we speak ....not doing 3 unit either ...failing cos i dnt get half the stuff and our teacher doesnt bother giving us examples just types the theory and hopes for the best
Might drop maths all together cos its too late to go dow to general

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by mishka
At my school, we can't have more than 26 ppl in a class. So when people chose 2u and 3u when I was in yr 11 last yr, 24 chose 2u and 13 chose 3u. It seems to work ok!!!

:. we have a 2u class and a separate 3u class on the same line. For us 3u's we do an extra hour and a half per week, and this is to get all the 3u stuff done. Now there's only 6 people 3u's!!! It's such a cool class!!! We cover all 2u topics and go a little faster than the 2u class to get the 3u topics done too!!!

The only problem is that we don't always know where the 2u's are up to so when assessments come around, we are stuck asking the 2u teacher what's in the test!!!

My advice would be: stick with it, buy an Excel guide (they're good summaries, but you should still make your own!) and if u have any probs ask ur teacher, or the head teacher. If u can master 2u, give 3u a try. But you have to know the basics before you can expect to move to harder things.

ours is a puclic skool and we cant have more than 24 in a class. so yeah but hardly any are full so its fair good

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by SpoRTsGaL
look, keep the extra maths unit. It has good scaling too... and it won't hurt to have a backup unit...
anyways, you have plenty of time to think about it.
nah i ahev to decide by the end of this term coz it is affecting my others subs.

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
myr pob is yeah if i do 3u i do good in the 1u extenison bit but not in the 2unit. coz in class we zip by the 2u section to move on to 3u and we doint learn. thus if i do 2units i willhave 2 good units and if i do 3u i will only have 1 good unit but i have to do 3 or icant drop other subjects that i wanna! eeekk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)