2U Mathematics for med?? (1 Viewer)

Eg155

HSC
If one were to say 'drop' 2unit in year 12 would this disadvantage them if they were to get into a medicine course?
Is there even any maths involved in medicine?? :confused:

theind1996

HSC
N/A
If one were to say 'drop' 2unit in year 12 would this disadvantage them if they were to get into a medicine course?
Is there even any maths involved in medicine?? :confused:
Not really, since Medicine doesn't involve maths.

HOWEVER, since Medicine requires a high ATAR, many people pick MX1 and MX2 which scale well and help them achieve that ATAR, so the only criterion would be to achieve a high ATAR, but if you think you can do that without maths, then go for it.

Also, (from what I've heard), the UMAT targets logical thinking, and generally being good at maths often correlates with a good logical thinking skills, which is probably why many Medicine students did higher maths for their HSC.

tl;dr: No, maths isn't necessary.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
There are no prerequisites for med that involce maths and there is barely any maths involved in med, although u need to have some basic maths skills for stats etc. That u may learn in med anyway

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
Not needed. My sister's friend's cousin's nephew's friends' son didn't do any maths in high school and he's doing med.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
It's not a pre req at all.

Chem is the one they strongly recommend. They don't care if you do bio or not lol

Ohh and an interesting note, your proposed 2013 subjects are exactly what I did for a term of yr 12 before I dropped His Ext hah So let me know if you have any Qs about those subjects ;)

Eg155

HSC
Not really, since Medicine doesn't involve maths.

HOWEVER, since Medicine requires a high ATAR, many people pick MX1 and MX2 which scale well and help them achieve that ATAR, so the only criterion would be to achieve a high ATAR, but if you think you can do that without maths, then go for it.

Also, (from what I've heard), the UMAT targets logical thinking, and generally being good at maths often correlates with a good logical thinking skills, which is probably why many Medicine students did higher maths for their HSC.

tl;dr: No, maths isn't necessary.
Lol my careers advisor calculated a 99.65 ATAR if i were to drop maths and pick up ext 2 english, continuing with my current english results .. so i think it would be wise to drop.. :)
thankyou for your help everyone! :)

Last edited:

Eg155

HSC
It's not a pre req at all.

Chem is the one they strongly recommend. They don't care if you do bio or not lol

Ohh and an interesting note, your proposed 2013 subjects are exactly what I did for a term of yr 12 before I dropped His Ext hah So let me know if you have any Qs about those subjects ;)
Yayy! I've been wanting to drop maths since primary school..:L
maths = worst rank and worst parent-teacher interview :L starts off with "E doesn't like maths, do you? -__-. This shows".
Lmao :)

Ohh about hist ext.. do they assign you a specific area/event/personality to study or is it on your own preferences??

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
^For History extension, your project is entirely your preference, as long as it is not heavily overlapping with modern or ancient courses.

For the Historiography part, you study a wide variety of historians in class. From very ancient to much more modern.
For the Case Study part, your teacher will pick it. At my school, they are doing Queen Elizabeth 1.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)