5.2 Maths (1 Viewer)

kezod

HSC
N/A
Can you do 2U Mathamatics if you only did 5.2 in Year 10?

My school says you can't but they had a number of students do 5.3. Everyone says it's because the school just wants a rep. for high banded General Maths.

Has anybody done 2U successfully after doing 5.2 in year 10?

x_rogerr

HSC
look a the preliminary and HSC course for 2U, if you think you can handle it, then do 2U

kezod

HSC
N/A
Can you do 2U Mathamatics if you only did 5.2 in Year 10?

My school says you can't but they had a number of students do 5.3. Everyone says it's because the school just wants a rep. for high banded General Maths.

Has anybody done 2U successfully after doing 5.2 in year 10?

oops....that should say that the school only had a limited number of of students do 5.3 for the size of the school

jeshxcore

Premium Member :)
HSC
I was doing 5.2 in year 9.
Got bumped up to 5.3 in year 10 during the middle of term one, because they opened a new 5.3 class.
Im hopeless at 5.3, but because i'm in 5.3 i can continue on with extension maths if i want (but its highly recommended in my grade, that you are ranked top 70 out of 180 to do ext maths).
So, i'm finding it hard to cope with 5.3 atm, so i'm doing 2u math next year.
Lmao, my rank is 118 >_>

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
honestly i don't see why not. Just be prepared to step it up a notch. If you do 2u in yr 11 and have done 5.3 uptil then well you'l find 2u pretty much just revision for most of it until you get to like integeration and differentiation. But it should be okay. I found 2u boring because I learnt everything in yr 10 so yeah.

de__locke

HSC
^^ I do 5.3 at the moment [everyone at our school does 5.3 unless you're really, really, really bad at maths] and I'm absolutely failing it and dropping down to general next year. May as well do something I can get a decent mark in.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
At my school I was in the top class for maths, we never really completed 5.3 (maybe got through 1/3 of it)... now I've acclerated and I'm happy since I'm decently ranked in amongst the Year 12s ^^

PIFKIE

HSC
Hi Everyone,

New to this forum. I dropped Math entirely, was in 5:3 then 5:2. My school has 350+ students in year 10 alone. We have a very multicultural mix here with lots of Asian students and overseas students who do really well at Math. I feel compelled to drop out and do something more productive in the Humanities where my strengths are. The top Math students are just as good as those in the best selective schools and are years ahead because of great coaching in many cases.

Do you guys know of anyone who obtained a great UAI with out even having Math?

After all you can do Math at University if you need to. MATH 132
(Yr 11-12)

:wave:
------------------------------------------------------------------
Proposal for Yr 11

English Advanced
English Prelim Extension
Japanese Continuers
Drama
Ancient History
Legal Studies
Society & Culture
Multimedia Industrial Tech.

Clank_

HSC
Hi Everyone,

New to this forum. I dropped Math entirely, was in 5:3 then 5:2. My school has 350+ students in year 10 alone. We have a very multicultural mix here with lots of Asian students and overseas students who do really well at Math. I feel compelled to drop out and do something more productive in the Humanities where my strengths are. The top Math students are just as good as those in the best selective schools and are years ahead because of great coaching in many cases.

Do you guys know of anyone who obtained a great UAI with out even having Math?

After all you can do Math at University if you need to. MATH 132
(Yr 11-12)

:wave:
------------------------------------------------------------------
Proposal for Yr 11

English Advanced
English Prelim Extension
Japanese Continuers
Drama
Ancient History
Legal Studies
Society & Culture
Multimedia Industrial Tech.
Daniel Swain got 100 UAI in 2008 without doing any math or sciences.

Also, your subject choices look quite good, although you seem to have 15 units, and you should consider dropping a subject.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Maths at university (if you do a degree that involves it) generally assumes you know a minimum of 2 unit level maths. If you do General or no Maths in the HSC, then you will struggle if you do uni maths. There are probably introductory "Life Science" maths courses out there for those people, but uni lecturers go at a much faster pace than school teachers (= potential to struggle at uni if you haven't got your basics solidified) so it's usually better to learn 2 unit Maths slowly and properly at school rather than at uni. Pretty much EVERY university discipline (except perhaps for Arts/Law subjects) has 2 unit maths for assumed knowledge.

PIFKIE

HSC
Thanks Trebla,

Actually that's not quite right. Depends what Uni you are at.

This is the requirement at Macquarie:
Recommended Prior Knowledge:
Bachelor of Commerce

<!-- start content --><!-- Start Content --> <style type="text/css"> th { text-align: right; color: #000; background-color: #ffffff; background-image: none; } tr.grey-bg th { background-color: #EDEDEE; } table { margin-bottom: 2em; } </style> 2010

HSC Mathematics is assumed knowledge for some major areas of study, such as accounting, economics, econometrics and finance.

Students without HSC Mathematics (or equivalent) are advised to enrol in a Mathematics unit during their first year of study. The recommended unit is MATH123, which has been designed for students studying in the Faculty of Business and Economics.

Bachelor of Commerce - Department of Accounting and Finance - Macquarie University

Thank you for the information too about the student who received 100 UAI without Math/Science.

Yes I think I may have to drop one. We haven't been notified yet about our choices. So shall wait and see what I can get in to. We were asked to request more than we needed, so I guess it depends on the lines & timetabling etc.

Thanks again for your advice.:wave:

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
At my school you have to do 5.3 to get in to 2unit. It's because the majority of our school does not enjoy or are good at math and the majority do 5.2 or lower.

Brontecat

HSC
if achieve super well in 3U go for Extension
if you struggled in 5.3 go for 2U maths
if you did well in 5.2 and managed to achieve good marks go for 2U
if you really struggled with 5.2 go for general
if you we're in 5.1 go for general

autumn-angel

HSC
no, you will find it difficult and somewhat disadvantaged by the students who did 5.3 in year 10. However, I recommend you get tutored if you are willing to do 2U.

MissGiggles

HSC
the rule at our school is that you are allowed to do extension maths if you are getting 80% or more at 5.2 level and around 50% or higher in 5.3. i bombed out because of the faster pace, but advanced maths kind of carries on from the 5.2 course. i'm advantaged because i did 5.3 until it comes to calculus, and some people in my class are just plain idiots. you will be fine doing it if you study.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)