5 Extra UAI points (1 Viewer)

GaDaMIt

Premium Member
HSC
Not sure if this is where I'm supposed to post this thread, but it seems the best location..

Anyways. I have a memory of around two years ago that a teacher asked a year 12 student how many (and this is where I'm not really sure) extra UAI points he got. I seem to remember that you put stuff on this list that affected your studying time availablity, for example: Duke of Ed, which was the exact thing he said he put down on the list. I remember he said he got the full 5 extra points..

Could somebody please tell me what the hell I am talking about here, and also give your own listings for this? Thanks..

lfc_reds2003

i got 10 extra uai pts for having a massive donga and having ladies touch it each afternoon!

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
GaDaMIt said:
Not sure if this is where I'm supposed to post this thread, but it seems the best location..

Anyways. I have a memory of around two years ago that a teacher asked a year 12 student how many (and this is where I'm not really sure) extra UAI points he got. I seem to remember that you put stuff on this list that affected your studying time availablity, for example: Duke of Ed, which was the exact thing he said he put down on the list. I remember he said he got the full 5 extra points..

Could somebody please tell me what the hell I am talking about here, and also give your own listings for this? Thanks..
misadventure? i'm not too familar with that but i know that practically if you have a huge disadvantge of some sort, certain uni's would allow you to enter a uni course with a UAI below the cutoff.

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
Certain unis have a "rural access scheme" that gives 4 or 5 bonus points to students applying from rural areas. Charles Sturt Uni, Newcastle Uni, Wollongong Uni, and the University of new England all run this scheme (also called EAS, Educational Access Scheme). I don't know of anything apart from misadventure that would add to your UAI.

I_F

Riviet

HSC
N/A
An example of misadventure is a family member/close relative passing away. Depending on how much the event affected your performance in the hsc, you will be awarded a certain number of extra points, probably up to a maximum of 10.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
No. You will never get a higher UAI from misadventure or EAS. EAS is completely separate from the Board of Studies and while misadventure forms can be used as evidence for the EAS application it otherwise has little to do with EAS.

If you have an issue that has affected you during years 11 and/or 12 (examples include having disease, financial difficulty, death of a family member, being a carer for someone with an illness or being schooled in a rural area), then you may be eligible to apply for the EAS(Educational Access Scheme) with UAC. Once UAC approves your scheme it is sent off to the unis(all the unis that work through UAC support it excepting Aust. Maritime College) who deal with it in their own individual way. Some unis will work under the allocation method, whereby they set aside so many places for EAS people who must then compete with each other for placement, this allows the UAI to be lowered a certain amount - never more than a preset level by the uni. The other method is 'bonus points', where at this given uni they will deduct a certain amount of points off of *any* course regardless of competition. Unis will also vary widely in how much they offer you and whether they offer you EAS at all - USYD could very well accept your EAS application while UWS may not and vice versa.

Candi4u

HSC
From what i have been told UAI entry marks can be lowered and your UAI can be highered depending on situations.
Such as if you want to go to your local uni then some uni's will lower the UAI entrance mark for locals.
If a friend commits suicide (or family memeber) you get a bonus 5 UAI points.
For people that live in the country, my friend in SA recieved 3bonus UAI points.
Also mental illness and a car crash play a big role, with depression etc i think you get extra time, and breaks. And if you have a car crash close to the exam time, i think you get all estimates.
So it depends on the situation, but usually the entrance level is lowered for you, and you are given consideration.
Someone i know got a 80.5.UAI however with the circumstances, she ended up with a 89.5 UAI.
Dont take my word for this, this is what i was told

stalk_if_u_dare

cheese hater
HSC
Riviet said:
An example of misadventure is a family member/close relative passing away. Depending on how much the event affected your performance in the hsc, you will be awarded a certain number of extra points, probably up to a maximum of 10.
Im just wondering, what if your mother died of Cancer in 2001 (when i was in year 8) & my marks had been badly affected by them...which i proof of.

THEN cos my dad couldnt get a job the past two years...we had a low income. I have a pretty good chance dont I? But I cant work out how to tell Canberra Uni, i tried their website but i couldnt find a link.

But mainly, would my mum's death count though she died in 2001?

vizman

HSC
stalk_if_u_dare said:
Im just wondering, what if your mother died of Cancer in 2001 (when i was in year 8) & my marks had been badly affected by them...which i proof of.

THEN cos my dad couldnt get a job the past two years...we had a low income. I have a pretty good chance dont I? But I cant work out how to tell Canberra Uni, i tried their website but i couldnt find a link.

no the EAS counts only for year 11/12

100percent

HSC
If you go to a crappy school like bonnyrigg for example (like i did), EAS is automatic, you don't even need to apply for anything, it's already given to you.

dawso

needmorecustomstatusspace
HSC
u can never get "extra uai points"....

misadventures such as illness or people dying are handled by the board of studies, not the uac....

once u get ur marks, thats it, u dont just magically get extra marks

also....schemes such as eas and local advantages (uow gives 3 marks to locals) dont actually change ur uai, they simply mean u can get accepted with a lower uai...some unis will even let people in below these adjusted personal acceptance levels....

Riviet

HSC
N/A
stalk_if_u_dare said:

They had to have happened within the year you did your hsc in. The situtations you mentioned would not have been regarded as misadventure affecting your performance even though you may feel that it gas had it's long term affects on you.

nanajim

HSC
okay so this is going to sound stupid but... by five uai points that's like from 90 to 95 right? or is it 90 to 90.05?

Riviet

HSC
N/A
nanajim said:
okay so this is going to sound stupid but... by five uai points that's like from 90 to 95 right? or is it 90 to 90.05?
The UAI cut-off for a course is LOWERED by 5 points, so if you got 91 UAI and the cut-off was 95, it would be dropped by to 90 for you. Hence you're eligible for the course. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)