50% of uni students fail at least one subject. (1 Viewer)

Dingo

Banned
is it true that 50% of uni students will fail at least one subject in their course?

evilc

I am a fish
HSC
probably, but it isnt really that hard to get through a course passing everything. **watch this space**

bluesky100

Carly :-)
HSC
I wouldn't have thought so??? I had an English lecturer tell a the grp of people at the end of the lecture - the hard part is getting into Uni and their are 2 plausible reasons Uni students fail:

A) They did not like the course/subject selected or B;
B) Spent too many nights partying and not studying.

evilc

I am a fish
HSC
the figure is misleading i think, beacuse there are freaks who get straight HDs for their entire degree, and people who fail like 6 subjects a year, so the stats would average out these extreme cases

Last edited:

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
but some people can't afford to fail because if they do they won't be able to do the next few years

i don't know if those figures are right, but going to lectures isa good start

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
I've failed before. And it was because of bluesky100's two reasons...both a) AND b). But there'll be no more subjects with any quantitative elements come semester 1...so it'll be hard to fail anything from here on in! It's almost impossible to fail a law subject!

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
UNSW law limits the number of fails to 5% of the candidature...

Dingo

Banned
so is their a certain amount of people that MUST fail?
like is a rank shit again?
fuck !!!
so your saying if everyone got 90+ in an exam
and few people got 80s
and considering it was a SMART class..
the people who got 80s will b given a FAIL ????
is dat how it works mate?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
yes most subjects are fit to bell-curves when distributing marks - however, these curves may not be exactly normal..there are variations..but yes, people fail..not because they have to, but because they just do

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
generally in first year they try not to fail people though.. well at least in uts anyway. we're told that you only fail if you have an attitude problem and you really shouldn't belong in uni anyway

or, you're a dumb shit like me and they feel sorry for you and pass you by one mark =(

Dingo

Banned
i was thinking of doing engineering at uts then transfer to business...
but i thought id fail everything, coz its hella hard course and then wont even have the opportunity to transfer at all, so i chose business at uws instead, that way i wont fail, and if i do get my transfer id also get exemptions.. even better aye..

peace^^

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
I think the 50% figure sounds pretty accurate...although maybe it was meant to apply for a certain course?
I reckon around 50% of the people I know of in my course have failed a subject...and we have only done 1 year so far! :(

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
yeah i'd say its pretty accurate, especially in first year because of the transition from school, people find it hard to know what is expected of them, and drop out rates are high. About 50% of my friends have failed subjects.

santaslayer

HSC
what happens if u fail a sub anyway?.....u get kicked out or do u get banned from doing that particular elective?

evilc

I am a fish
HSC
no, you just have to repeat it another semester. If the subject you fail is a prerequisite for later subjects, you cant do the later subject until you have passed the subject you failed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)