70 WAM. Easy or difficult? (1 Viewer)

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
70 is not easy at all, it is still a ton of work to have a wam of 70.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
Its stupidly difficult if you fuck up and barely pass several subjects. Then your WAM will be forever fucked up, you will have to struggle to get high 90 in all your other subjects in order to raise your average WAM to something decent. This is hat-on-head retarded, but I got 4/100 for one of my courses, and that drags down my average so much it'll be near impossible to get a credit (read: if I get HDs from now on i'll only ever get a cumlative WAM of credit). Haha laugh it up.

That said, don't fuck up. Dont:
-Not attend your lectures (unless you can GUARANTEE 100% you'll self study), even if it bores the shit out of you at least you absorb a little info and you wont be fucked for the test
-Not attempt quizes, tests and assignments, even if you get like 50% it beats the shit out of 0% (if your next result is 100% the average will be 75% instead of 50%).
-Fall behind, the faster pace of uni will make it super difficult to catch up (read: near impossible)

Last edited:

sinophile

HSC
N/A
At UNSW - the minimum to get into comm/law 2nd year is a 95 atar; combined with a 75 wam
or
if you were lucky enough to get above 97 atar, a 70 wam is required.

If you meet the above you're in.

At usyd's it's a different story though, and if you get those marks it's only competitive and not guaranteed entry
Applying through UAC, if you transfer at the end of first year they only consider either your ATAR or WAM, whichever is higher. This doesnt apply for any subsequent years, they consider your WAM only.

Last edited:

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Physics is insanely hard and you need all easy marks you can get.
It depends on the person. All my friends got a CR or D and found it really hard. I got a HD and found it fun/interesting... But I barely passed a subject that was apparently very easy (friends got D's and HDs). So go figure.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
It depends on the person. All my friends got a CR or D and found it really hard. I got a HD and found it fun/interesting... But I barely passed a subject that was apparently very easy (friends got D's and HDs). So go figure.
Most people that attempt it find it really really difficult. There was a quote from the engineering welcome booklet: "Fear PHYS1121!". I think thats true.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Most people that attempt it find it really really difficult. There was a quote from the engineering welcome booklet: "Fear PHYS1121!". I think thats true.
In my humble opinion the difficulty is similiar to that of 4U maths. The thing is that in PHYS1121/31 at UNSW one of the lecturers (Joe Wolfe) makes you think and he does encourage it too in his lectures and sets exams accordingly. But the problem is that people are trained to be 'formula monkeys' (as he terms it) at high school. So that's why people find it hard.

Maybe that's why people also find probability hard... cos they need to actually think.

dotslikeme

HSC
getting 70 WAM for psychology, is it difficult too? apparently, I also need 70 WAM to progress..

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
Maybe that's why people also find probability hard... cos they need to actually think.
unfortunately that's me lol- all memory
luckily i don't do anything resembling physics

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
But the problem is that people are trained to be 'formula monkeys' (as he terms it) at high school. So that's why people find it hard.
That is the case with every mathematics related course in every uni

TheTutorBot

HSC
Physics is insanely hard and you need all easy marks you can get.
Disagree...I only just missed out on an HD in phys 142 at UOW on a grand total of half hour per week study and actually fronting to lectures...

I've been told 2nd year stuff is much harder though

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
So general impressions... if we don't mind the deviation to transferring (which I don't mind as it keeps the thread afloat) - is 70 WAM is of moderate to easy difficulty.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Disagree...I only just missed out on an HD in phys 142 at UOW on a grand total of half hour per week study and actually fronting to lectures...

I've been told 2nd year stuff is much harder though
UNSW (Joe Wolfe) =/= UOW.

I've seen physics papers from other universities (Murdoch in WA) and their papers are quite easy. They even got a question wrong. JW knows his stuff really well unlike the typical Physics teacher today ==;

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)