A case of over-optimism... (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

shibank

As I surf this site I am shocked to continually see students who've received horrendous assessment marks, saying that they're aiming for a UAI of 99!!

What are you thinking?

I don't know whether I should feel sorry for them, or just plain concerned.

Don't you realise that just over 1% of the population get 99. It's not something you can just say and achieve. Unfortunately, no amount of studying will guarantee you a 99.

Just thought I should break it to you now, before your hearts are broken..

Fi

I see what u mean... only a certain amount of students can get over 99. However, I think that it's good these guys are aiming for a high UAI.

Keep working hard yr 12, don't let anyone tell u that u can not achieve ur goals. And don't forget, enjoy yourselves, it's the last year of wat some people say are the best yrs of ur life!!

bobo123

HSC
i dont think anyone on the board is genuinely expecting a 99
but we all aim for it anyway.
you really cant tell if a person's gona get 99 or not just from the first assessment.
optimism is good

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
Originally posted by shibank
As I surf this site I am shocked to continually see students who've received horrendous assessment marks, saying that they're aiming for a UAI of 99!!

What are you thinking?

I don't know whether I should feel sorry for them, or just plain concerned.

Don't you realise that just over 1% of the population get 99. It's not something you can just say and achieve. Unfortunately, no amount of studying will guarantee you a 99.

Just thought I should break it to you now, before your hearts are broken..
Who came up with the term "over-optimism"?? I don't believe there is such thing, we aim for the sky and that's what motivates us.
Thanks for your concern about our "horrenous" assessment marks... one assessment does not screw up your chances of being in the top 1% of the state... as kini mini and some others had proven.

bobo123

HSC
im just wondering, shibank, whether you've done the hsc or not

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by shibank

What are you thinking?

It is hard to judge someone's UAI from assessment marks when you don't know what that assessment was like. It's also unreliable to extrapolate from assessment results in March to performance over the rest of the year and in the HSC. At this stage of the year, developing a strong work ethic through a target like a UAI of 99 is a priority. Though people may well have unrealistic assumptions at this stage, these will be tempered by their experiences of the course as the year goes on. Even a shock is not fatal at this stage as there are several months till the final exams.

aznchickie

Re: Re: A case of over-optimism...

Originally posted by InfiniteQ

one assessment does not screw up your chances of being in the top 1% of the state... as kini mini and some others had proven.
what did they do?

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Who the fuck do you think you are Shibank?
There are several people on this board with a very real chance of gaining a 99, and others who are aiming for it as a motivation. How dare you come on here, not knowing any one of us and try and cut people down like that. I don't know if you have done the HSC or not but if you have it sounds like you are trying to justify your own failings in some twisted way. If you haven't done the HSC, maybe you should be concentrating on your own mark and not other ppls!! Jeez, think about what you're saying. People have every right to strive for 99 if thats what they want!!!

BTW pplz my 800th post!

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
Re: Re: Re: A case of over-optimism...

Originally posted by aznchickie

what did they do?
Picked themselves off the ground and worked their butts off to make up for it I guess...

kini mini

HSC
Re: Re: Re: A case of over-optimism...

Originally posted by aznchickie

what did they do?
Did some soul-searching, decided to work smarter and harder and moved on.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by YEAR12
Who the fuck do you think you are Shibank?
There are several people on this board with a very real chance of gaining a 99, and others who are aiming for it as a motivation. How dare you come on here, not knowing any one of us and try and cut people down like that. I don't know if you have done the HSC or not but if you have it sounds like you are trying to justify your own failings in some twisted way. If you haven't done the HSC, maybe you should be concentrating on your own mark and not other ppls!! Jeez, think about what you're saying. People have every right to strive for 99 if thats what they want!!!
I agree
shibank sounds like he/she jus wants to cause problems...
ppl should encourge high achievement, not discourage it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)