A day in Uni (1 Viewer)

Which of the following resembles a uni day the closest?

• Lighter than an average day in High school

Votes: 20 40.0%
  • Like an average day in high school

Votes: 11 22.0%
  • Like an average day during the HSC

Votes: 8 16.0%
  • Harder than an average day during the HSC

Votes: 11 22.0%

• Total voters

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Scissors said:
per week?
per hour.

EDIT: I posted a random number. But in all honesty, divide that between 4 subjects (being full-time) and that seems pretty reasonable to expect around 3 hours a week study outside of classes. But as everyone has said, depends on the subjects.

For instance, 3 hours a week (in addition to textbook work) would be enough for accounting/finance courses, and that's 3rd year finance.

Last edited:
HSC
I know so many people who do NO WORK (and I mean I have never ever seen them actually studying or talking about studying, or planning to study, or seeming mildly interested in their course at all), and they still pass. It is possible, particularly in science/arts degrees where you needed to get a fairly good UAI/ENTER to get into the course in the first place. Because of this most people can probably pass just on basic intelligence and a few hours of crammed study before exams or assignments.

However, I think some people will regret it when they get out of uni (perhaps not in the science/eng/finance field where there is lots of work, but certainly in the Arts/Humanities field where there isn't so much) and find that employers are looking for people with a better average than pass.

I try to study well - sometimes it's hard to stay motivated when others seem to do no work - because I want to get into internships and get some good work in a competitive area (politics/international relations) when I finish, and if you do a bit of work it isn't that hard to get mid 70's percentages. Over 80 is virtually impossible in assignments, but 70's is generally as high as employers are looking for.

I certainly don't get around to doing my many (boring) readings every week (Unfortunately I'm not that interested in research - I'm more of a hands-on person - which is a bit of a problem doing arts...) and naturally my essays are generally rushed (because NOBODY gets their essays done more than a few hours before they are due at uni!), but it's easy not to lose silly marks by handing things in late, or simply not doing little assignments (3-5 percent of your total mark for the subject), because the marks you lose for this can add up..

IF you get everything in on time and relatively well researched/written/thought out, you'll be okay.

Naturally, per week study depends a lot on course/uni etc - in Science a lot of the work is done in class because they have a lot of contact hours, and pracs etc. In arts, there are only around 12-13 contact hours per week, but a lot of reading and research to do outside of that.

In terms of finding fun - join a club! Ie. debating club, music club, beer club, chocolate club, pilates club whatever. They are fun/social, there is generally a lot of drinking, and it is way easier to make friends if you find an environment in which you actually see people on a semi-regular basis, because in actual classes/lectures you rarely see the same people, or only see them once a week.

Hope this isn't too long... :)

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
Does many people actually put in the effort to get HD or D?

do0d19

HSC
N/A
I've found getting good marks at uni is completely random. I got a HD in my first year/first semester with abolutely no effort. The amount of effort put into a subject hardly ever correlates to the marks I get... I'm in third year now and frequently get shit marks for subjects I study heaps for.

Does many people actually put in the effort to get HD or D?
Yes, I've found most people in my course to be very competitive and willing to put in the effort. It seems everyone wants at least credits as a minimum.

live.fast

HSC
N/A
kevinx2 said:
How many hours a day should your time be dedicated to uni work etc?
Well to get decent grades anyways.
You can cover a whole semester unit of study in uni in about 3 days, even if you haven't learnt anything / gone lectures / tutorials etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)