A few questions about UTS... (1 Viewer)

klh

HSC
Hi,
I just wanted to know some things about UTS. Firstly, do you just get minimal lecture notes or do you guys get the full transcript of the lecture? Is it like WebCT?
About computers/internet, do you have wireless, and for your student hard drive, how much capacity do they give you?
Are enrolments online? And timetables, do you choose your times, or are you just given a timetable?

thanks for any info

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
klh said:
Hi,
I just wanted to know some things about UTS. Firstly, do you just get minimal lecture notes or do you guys get the full transcript of the lecture? Is it like WebCT?
About computers/internet, do you have wireless, and for your student hard drive, how much capacity do they give you?
Are enrolments online? And timetables, do you choose your times, or are you just given a timetable?

thanks for any info
With the lecture notes it varies from subject to subject - some will not have any whatsoever (unless you have some disability, then I think they arrange a taping for you) others will have the transcript online along with any slides. Its sort of like WebCT, except we call it UTSOnline - you'll get used to it pretty quickly.

We do have pretty extensive wireless coverage - here is an faq with some details about how wireless works at UTS. I'm not exactly sure what the limit is (or if there is indeed one) on the student hard drive - perhaps one of the more computer saavy students here would know.

Regarding enrollments, the majority of it is done online however for students beginning a new course they have an enrollment day where you get your ID/HELP forms/Bus Pass etc. done and they guide you through the web enrollment process there. Continuing students are able to do this entirely on their own.

If there is more than one class available for a particular subject than we either choose at our own disgression or we enter in a range of preferences for times and we are allocated to those times on a first in, first served basis.

Hope this helps:)

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
I don't think I've tried saving things onto hard drives outside the IT labs. I'm not sure if we even have hard disk space. Solution to that is a <$100 stick usb key.

There is certainly hard disk space on the IT labs though. You have to be an IT student to benefit from these though i.e. other than hard disk space there is free printing as well =)

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
klh said:
Hi again, just wanted to ask if UTS gets many careers expos?
In terms of careers expos/fairs they would normally appear on this website: http://www.ssu.uts.edu.au/careers/index.html otherwise known as the SSU Careers Service.

It is also pretty easy to drop into Level 3 where the careers service staff can help you.

Logistics

HSC
In regards to HDD. All engineering students are given 250mb of space. There's also IT accounts you can create, so you get space there as well.

You can use it to store data, create websites and publish stuff etc.

I myself don't bother with the space given to you, people use their own USB drives, hard disks etc.

CandE

HSC
klh said:
Hi,
Depends on the subject. In some subjects you will recieve handouts, in others you will log on to "UTSOnline" and need to print them out yourself. Some won't give you any and you will need to make sure you have the important points during the lecture. You can do further research after.
klh said:
We have wireless, but you need to buy a certain type of card to use it. I don't know about the disk space but I think it is 250 mb. If you do engineering their U drive is different to the H drive on the IT computers.

thanks for any info
Enrolments are online. It is not like UWS where you have a wide selection, but there is some choice. Usually they give you a "choice" between doing a tutorial at 2pm Monday or 2pm Monday. Most are chosen for you, however some give you a choice of days.

klh

HSC
many thanks for your replies. it seems pretty nice at uts the last 3 times ive been. Pity i couldnt get into the library, i just had to walk out...

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
CandE said:
Depends on the subject. In some subjects you will recieve handouts, in others you will log on to "UTSOnline" and need to print them out yourself. Some won't give you any and you will need to make sure you have the important points during the lecture. You can do further research after.
In some subjects the lecture notes will be sold in the union shop for around $10-$20 depending on the subject. Saves you time and printing costs =)

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
klh said:
Pity i couldnt get into the library, i just had to walk out...
I believe you can request a visitor pass. I'm guessing you can talk to one of the library staff and they might let you in.

klh

HSC
Hi again, another question on my mind...
Is the vice chancellors week a semester break?
Does UTS have a stuvac?
And reading the online timetable....wtf? or is it still very provisional? And the times listed, they are the choices we get to choose from? if anyone wants to see what i see, im looking at 22784 Accounting: Concepts and Applications; maybe someone can explain?

thanks

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
Vice Chancellors week is one week break in the middle of each semester. Faculties such as IT have a non-teaching week next to it so that makes two weeks (does not apply to all faculties- such as business).

The online timetable shows the days and times that we can choose from in MyStudentActivities (located here: https://mysubjects.uts.edu.au/ - requires login). This ofcourse must be done after enrollment of subjects (located here: https://www.onestopadmin.uts.edu.au/t1tbmain.asp - requires login).
MyStudentActivities is on a first-come-first-serve basis (for allocation subjects) OR for some courses you have to place 'preferences' for times and dates and you will be allocated to one of your preferred choices.

UTS does not have an official stuvac period between learning hours and exam periods, but subjects are normally scheduled to end 1 week before the exam period (or two sometimes) so it gives you enough time to last-minute cram.

klh

HSC
Thanks, especially about the phantom stuvac...i was frightened by no stuvac lol.
I was actually asking about why it didnt show up tutorials, lectures, labs etc. that is labels on the help site, thetimetable just shows Activity 1, 2, 3, etc. and it lasts for 3 hrs, so i thought it may be still in provisional.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Well I think most questions have been covered. In terms of wireless, there are 2 wireless networks at UTS, the main UTS one and the IT faculty one (well there might be more but I don't know of them). The UTS one just requires a laptop with a built in wireless card (most newer laptops like the Core Duo ones should have a wireless card built in anyways) or just a laptop wireless card which you can get for around $30 which just slides into your laptop. Other than that, you just need to log in using this software you download to your laptop and away you go (provided you within the coverage area).

The IT faculty wireless network is for anyone who has an IT account (those studying IT subjects). You just login using your IT username/password but it's only available in the IT building (Building 10). Both wireless networks are free to access for UTS students.

klh

HSC
Would you be able to tell me if there is a limit to downloads? The only limits I did see relate to the legal stuff, i.e. no hacking etc. which is der. Free access...but what abut usage?

Thanks all for your timely replies.

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
I don't think there is a download limit.

There may be a time limit for wireless connectivity though- I'm not sure, you'll have to check that one out on the wireless page/Jasee =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)