A few questions regarding Commerce degrees. Any help at all much appreciated! (1 Viewer)

ExitOnly

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys, I just have a few questions regarding Commerce and combined degrees (I plan to study at UNSW if it matters). I would really appreciate it if anyone could take the time to answer any or all of the questions:

1. How many majors can you do for Comm/Arts? Is it possible to do 2 commerce majors (e.g. accounting + finance) and 1 arts major (e.g. Chinese studies)?

2. Is it true that language courses such as Chinese or Japanese studies are very difficult in uni and are likely to worsen my WAM?

3. Is there a much heavier workload for Commerce (Liberal Studies)?

4. What is the difference between Commerce/Arts and Commerce (Liberal Studies)?

5. In the liberal studies component of Commerce (Liberal Studies), how in depth do you do each course? Like, if I did a language as part of the 'liberal studies', how far would I actually go into studying it? I assume doing a course as part of the liberal studies component isn't like doing a major.

6. If I do Commerce/Economics, would I be able to do a language elective? Or some arts electives?

I know I have a lot of questions, but again, I would really appreciate any help -- you can just answer the questions you are able to. :smile:

Thanks!

oyuck

HSC
1. How many majors can you do for Comm/Arts? Is it possible to do 2 commerce majors (e.g. accounting + finance) and 1 arts major (e.g. Chinese studies)?
I think it is possible but it will take longer to complete.

What is the difference between Commerce/Arts and Commerce (Liberal Studies)?
With Commerce/Arts, you graduate with 2 degrees: B.A. and B.Comm

On the other hand, if you do Commerce Liberal Studies, you graduate with B.Comm (Liberal Studies)

ExitOnly;56617755. said:
In the liberal studies component of Commerce (Liberal Studies), how in depth do you do each course? Like, if I did a language as part of the 'liberal studies', how far would I actually go into studying it? I assume doing a course as part of the liberal studies component isn't like doing a major.
http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2012/3539.html

The above link provides a good amount of info.

If I do Commerce/Economics, would I be able to do a language elective? Or some arts electives?
If you do a single degree, there are "General Education" requirements at UNSW which will force you to undertake units from a school not related to your degree. Eg. if you do B.Comm only, then you will be able to undertake elective units from the Languages faculty or Arts faculty should you desire.

General Education requirements were introduced to broaden students' mind whilst at uni. Studying a combined degree is taken to have met the General Education Requirements since you are studying 2 different disciplines and so you can't take units from a school not related to your degree.

Hope this helps. Don't forget that Info Day @ UNSW is on 4 Jan to answer all your questions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)