a history of violence (1 Viewer)

icecreamdisco

HSC
who's hyped? cronenberg has yet to make a less than interesting film, and this looks to be his most accessible (i.e. subversive) film to date.

it also has viggo mortensen and maria bello 69'ing. yay for explicit sex in mainstream films.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Dont get all premature on this one. Maria Bello has a particularly unflattering body, and as for an explicity in the sex scenes - there really isnt much to see. With that all said, I thought it was a good film, and being a fan of Cronenberg it pretty well lived up to expectations. Not a huge fan of the plot especially the ending. The ideas are good nonetheless.

icecreamdisco

HSC
absolution* said:
Maria Bello has a particularly unflattering body
oh yeah, i just remembered the cooler. *deflates*

i mainly just included the tidbit about a sex scene because '69'ing' will always get more attention than 'a david cronenberg film'.

Last edited:

walrusbear

HSC
can't wait to see it!
i'll prob catch it tomorrow

i don't think i've ever seen a hetero 69-ing scene in a movie before...
can anyone prove me wrong?

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
It's very good. And Maria Bello is pretty hot in this :p The 69 scene isn't as good as the one that comes towards the end though. I'll wait for you guys to see it before spoiling anything for you

And no, the sex isn't too explicit. The second one's hot though

Last edited:

icecreamdisco

HSC
yeah, this was awesome. a lot of people in the audience were laughing at what i think they perceived to be serious scenes, but the genius of the film lies in it's ability to mimic conventions and cliches just as tom creates a veil of security for his family that's completely artificial. very lynch-ian in that sense (particularly reminiscent of blue velvet). in fact, i'd go as far to call it an all-out black comedy, yet the character dilemmas are treated and able to be taken seriously. probably deserves a second viewing to pick up all it's nuances.

i guess i'm biased, since it's cronenberg. a lot of people will absolutely despise it. still, this might be my fave film of 2005.

EDIT: and yes, maria bello is freaking gorgeous.

Last edited:

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Why would anyone despise it? It works pretty well as popcorn entertainment too :p

icecreamdisco

HSC
oh, it is very entertaining. but someone said "that was the worst film i've ever seen" on my way to the exit, so i guess it's also easy to be put of by the deliberate artificiality or assume that the whole thing's supposed to be viewed as a starkly serious family drama.

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
I felt the ending was lacking. Looking back on the film, it seemed devoid of content. What was the movie really about anyway?

icecreamdisco

HSC
thx for the link abs.

KeypadSDM said:
I felt the ending was lacking. Looking back on the film, it seemed devoid of content. What was the movie really about anyway?
the ending works on two levels. on one, it suggests that tom/joey's family has come to realise that everything he did was to protect them, but they no longer perceive him as a hero, instead just an ordinary guy who did what he had to do. the other is that they've realised the main theme of the film; that we're an inherently violent species, that violence is as much a form of expression as it is a part of our survival and we can't escape it. there's way more to the film than meets the eye.

Last edited:

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
icecreamdisco said:
thx for the link abs.

the ending works on two levels. on one, it suggests that tom/joey's family has come to realise that everything he did was to protect them, but they no longer perceive him as a hero, instead just an ordinary guy who did what he had to do. the other is that they've realised the main theme of the film; that we're an inherently violent species, that violence is as much a form of expression as it is a part of our survival and we can't escape it. there's way more to the film than meets the eye.
It still felt like the plot was there, just as a side point. Bah, I'm bad with words, I can't explain what I'm thinking.

I can see a few inner meanings within the whole movie, but they felt quite segregated from the actual plotline.

Bah, I can't say it.

libertine

in the middle class ghetto: North Shore, Bitch
HSC
all the critics seemed to hype it up as a movie portraying the effects of "violence" on american society.....what utter bollocks..there is nothing more i hate than critics reading too much into films..
i just didnt connect with the film..maybe if i rent it and watch it on the small screen i might absorb it better..but the movie seemed lifeless and disengaging..deliberate maybe?
the sex scenes were meh....maria bello isnt even hawtz

walrusbear

HSC
libertine said:
all the critics seemed to hype it up as a movie portraying the effects of "violence" on american society.....what utter bollocks..there is nothing more i hate than critics reading too much into films..
i just didnt connect with the film..maybe if i rent it and watch it on the small screen i might absorb it better..but the movie seemed lifeless and disengaging..deliberate maybe?
the sex scenes were meh....maria bello isnt even hawtz
there's little i hate more than people saying that

icecreamdisco

HSC
walrusbear said:
there's little i hate more than people saying that
especially when it's followed by "i just didn't connect with the film".

also, anyone who's expecting this film to resemble reality in anyway has got the wrong idea.

walrusbear

HSC
finally caught this movie and really enjoyed it (much like everyone else seems to have).

funny that pretty much every memorable film from 2005 has made its way here in 2006.

i think an interesting point of comparison for this movie is 'Straw Dogs', the peckinpah movie from 1971. it's also about a man thrust into violence in defense of his family. peckinpah seems to see violence as inherent too, but almost necessary and respectable (for males anyway). i think i can hold to the sentiments of cronenberg's movie a lot more, but straw dogs is worth checking out too - i was reminded of it watching 'history' :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)