A HSC Ranking Question~ (1 Viewer)

TNguyen

HSC
webby234 said:
no - external mark is unaffected by the internal rank. THe internal mark is affected by external marks ie if you come first in a subject your internal mark becomes the best external mark achieved by your class.
when you say first in a subject, do u mean external or internal?

H

housemouse

The idea of first place in any subject for internals will get the best mark in the externals regardless is a bit suss.

So like first place can just totally fail the externals and still get the highest by taking the best mark off who ever got it thus leaving last with a rather bitter mark.

H

housemouse

That is still suss.
Where did this idea actually come from because it is a bit hard to believe that regardless of anything, first in internals automatically gets first in externals. Its almost like last year when this year 12 guy told me that whoever does 4 unit maths automatically gets 100% in 2 unit maths which isnt true at all.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
well thats reality, and it can work for you if you play it right. i was below average for most of my maths exams but i miraculously came out with a ranking of 5th and my school assesment was 94 despite the fact i got around 60 for most of my exams.

whoever does 4u maths doesnt sit 2u maths at all because it is ASSUMED you would get a band 6. i think thats what he meant.

Raginsheep

HSC
They get the highest HSC exam mark for their moderated school mark. Their actual HSC exam mark will still be what they actually got in the exam.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Exactly what Raginsheep said. You still retain your own HSC exam mark. So there is absolutely no reason to just fail your externals if you are ranked first.

When you are ranked first, only your assessment mark will be moderated to the highest HSC exam mark, whether or not that is your own mark or someone elses.

The average is still taken to obtain your HSC mark.

This is one of the more common misinterpretations I've noticed people have made. Along with thinking inputting school marks into SAM and expected it to be accurate.

I think I'll post a thread about the common misconceptions students who try to understand the system make sometime in the near future.

H

housemouse

That makes more sense than the previous posts in the thread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)