A-League (1 Viewer)

T

timbk2

Might aswell start a new thread for the new league. Who's interested in the A-League getting up and running later on this year? Thoughts on its progress and ultimately, it's future?

Players so far (jan 2005)

Adelaide United ---------------------------------------------

Confirmed Signings: (14)

Richard Alagich (AU)

Ross Aloisi (AU)

Robert Bajic (AU)

Daniel Beltrame (Parramatta Power)

Chad Bugeja (White City Woodville, SA)

Angelo Costanzo (Marconi Stallions)

Aaron Goulding (AU)

Matthew Kemp (AU)

Michael Matricciani (Campbelltown, SA)

Lucas Pantelis (Parramatta Power)

Kristian Rees (AU)

Michael Valkanis (AU)

Carl Veart (AU)

Aurelio Vidmar (AU)

Central Coast Mariners ---------------------------------------------

Confirmed Signings: (18)

Michael Beauchamp (Parramatta Power)

Nigel Boogaard (Newcastle United)

Damian Brown (Newcastle United)

Andrew Clark (APIA Leichhardt, NSW Premier League)

John Crawley (Blacktown City, NSW Premier League)

Andre Gumprecht (Parramatta Power)

Dean Heffernan (Sydney United)
John Hutchinson (Northern Spirit)

Adam Kwasnik (Northern Spirit)
Nick Mrdja (Perth Glory)

Paul O’Grady (Parramatta Power)

Matt Osman (Northern Spirit)

Wayne O’Sullivan (Northern Spirit)
Stewart Petrie (Northern Spirit)

Tom Pondeljak (Perth Glory)

Noel Spencer (Northern Spirit)
Daniel Vukovic (Parramatta Power)

Alex Wilkinson (Northern Spirit)

New Zealand Knights ---------------------------------------------

Confirmed Signings: (4)

Darren Bazeley (Walsall, England)

Danny Hay (KFC)

Noah Hickey (KFC)

Danny Milosevic (Leeds United, England)

Melbourne Victory ---------------------------------------------

Confirmed Signings: (1)

Archie Thompson (Lierse, Belgium)

Newcastle United ---------------------------------------------

Confirmed Signings: (12)

Nick Carle (Marconi Stallions)

Craig Deans (NU)

Andrew Durante (Parramatta Power)

Steve Eagleton (NU)

Richard Johnson (QPR – England)

Ante Milicic (Parramatta Power)

Stuart Musialik (NU)

Jade North (Perth Glory)
Franco Parisi (Sydney United)

Liam Reddy (Sydney United)
Matt Thompson (Parramatta Power)

Jobe Wheelhouse (NU)

Queensland Lions ---------------------------------------------

Confirmed Signings: (9)

Michael Baird (Sydney Olympic)
Royce Brownlie (Brisbane Strikers)
Karl Dodd (Brisbane Strikers)
Chad Gibson (Marconi Stallions)

Scott Higgins (Brisbane Strikers)
Matt McKay (Brisbane Strikers)

Jordan Simpson (St George, NSW Premier League)
Tyler Simpson (St George, NSW Premier League)
Tom Willis (Newcastle United)

Perth Glory ---------------------------------------------

Confirmed Signings: (13)

Simon Colosimo (Parramatta Power)

Bobby Despotovski (PG)

Henry Fa’Arodo (Melbourne Knights)

Jamie Harnwell (PG)

Matt Horsley (PG)

Hiroyuki Ishida (Sydney Olympic)

Milan Jovanic (Veternik, Serbia & Montenegro)

Ante Kovacevic (South Melbourne)

Scott Miller (PG)

Naum Sekulovski (Parramatta Power)

Daniel Vasilevski (Melbourne Knights)

Nick Ward (Stirling Lions, WA)

Stuart Young (Wollongong Wolves)

Sydney FC ---------------------------------------------

Confirmed Signings: (15)

Clint Bolton (Parramatta Power)

Alvin Ceccoli (Parramatta Power)

Steve Corica (Walsall, England)

Steve Laurie (South Melbourne)

Robbie Middleby (NU)

Mark Milligan (Northern Spirit)

Wade Oostendorp (NSWIS)

Andrew Packer (Sydney Olympic)

Justin Pasfield (Bray Wanderers, Ireland)

Saso Petrovski (Parramatta Power)

Mark Rudan (Sydney United)

Alejandro Salazar (University of Portland, USA)

Ufuk Talay (Mersin Ydman Yurdu, Turkey)

Jacob Timpano (Wollongong Wolves)

David Zdrilic (Eintracht Trier, Germany)

Crazy Horse

HSC
I agree! I hope that soccer does become no. 1 here but with the A-league and all the rules the Australian soccer board put up i honestly cannot see that happening. They are making so many mistakes.

Last edited:
HSC
For starters - the correct terminology is "Football" Repeat after me ... :p

The A-League will be shite for the first two or three seasons, but to be honest some of the Socceroos and talent that has come back for probably alot less pay than they would get in Europe to show Farina they are playing good football is impressive.

The winner of some Cup competes in the new World Club Championship methinks? We gotta get sides into that and into the Asian Champ Leauge, if we don't then we might as well have stuck with the shite NSL.

moseley

Alwayz Diana said:
I agree! I hope that soccer does become no. 1 here but with da A-league n all the rules the Australian soccer board put up i honestly cannot c dat happening. They are making so many mistakes.

wtf, what mistakes are you on about, i beleive the new FOOTBALL administration has done nothening but good work for football in this country.

Crazy Horse

HSC
Actually i call it football as well only when I do many people ---> "...........huh?? you cant do that in football. what you talking about??" i wasnt sure if it was goning to happen here or not.

Last edited:

Crazy Horse

HSC
Mistakes - they've made PLENTY! what happened to free to air football?? Tell me?? Its no longer! The only free to air football is past world cups on sunday afternoon so we are competing with NRL and Tennis and Cricket. Ohh i know that Champions League is on early morning Wed n Thur but ONLY people who already like football will get up to watch it so it's not enticing new supporters!
How about the 1.5million dollar salary cap?? WHO from overseas is going to come and play the sport here when overseas countries offer so much more?? For goodness sake England 5th division offers $180,000 + car + house n Italian 4th division offer $200,000!! Not to mention the attention and adoring fans! They are treated like GODS over dere! Why come here??
AND DO NOOTT get me started on FRANK FARINA!

Last edited:
T

timbk2

moseley107 said:
wtf, what mistakes are you on about, i beleive the new FOOTBALL administration has done nothening but good work for football in this country.
true... apart from the salary cap.. which i kinda see the reason for now.. frank lowy and john o'neil have done excellent jobs with the near impossible job they were given.

Pace Setter

transcendent said:
I hope soccer becomes the dominant sport in Australia.
I hope I live long enough to see Australia become the Brazil of soccer :)

Last edited:

Crazy Horse

HSC
I WILL support the new league- if people who are into football dont get behind it then why would people who rnt interested!

Last edited:
T

timbk2

i do however agree that no free-to-air football at the moment sucks.

Although SBS didnt have much of a choice cause fox were being dickheads, i felt someone should have came in and stopped it. Esp. with the EPL.

As for a-league. Even if they do what the NRL does... have 2 main free-to-air games a week and the rest can go on fox. That'll be good.

Crazy Horse

HSC
Yea ur rite! u noe football is da only sport dat doesnt sit under sum sort of protection act! Every other sport here has a free 2 air rites 2 sum extent! I juss hope when new bids 4 champions league occur dat FOX dun buy dat 2.........

Generator

HSC
N/A
Eh. My team (the Spirit) died and the team that I followed (the Wolves) is back in the State league... I will take an interest in the league, and I'm happy that a number of the better NSL players have been taken in by the new clubs, but I will not become an active supporter of the Sydney team for some time.

Nick Theodorakopoulos... The fact that he is currently unemployed is a tragedy.

ZabZu

HSC
Doesn't SBS get their champions league coverage via ESPN?

I also reckon the salary cap is a major problem for a Australian league. Very few Australians are going to return to play soccer/football here because they can earn a lot more money overseas. I heard Mark Viduka gets something like $166,000 a week!!!

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Salary cap iz a problem, in termz of attractin quality playerz. But I think it iz a positive thing. Don't foget every team can have a marquee player paid outside the cap.

vanbanned

Banned
HSC
N/A
The European leagues/clubs get most of their money from television rights. That is all.

Crazy Horse

HSC
Yes they do. But how r da Australian teams gonna get dere money?? Are there matches gonna be shown on TV???

T

timbk2

vanbanned said:
The European leagues/clubs get most of their money from television rights. That is all.
dont forget millions of replica shirt sales and ticket sales.

T

timbk2

Alwayz Diana said:
Yea ur rite! u noe football is da only sport dat doesnt sit under sum sort of protection act! Every other sport here has a free 2 air rites 2 sum extent! I juss hope when new bids 4 champions league occur dat FOX dun buy dat 2.........
look at the NBL.. they used to have free to air rights on channel 10 ... now its completely fox sports. No point following the comp anymore. Did anyone even care that the sydney kings won the nBL championship last year... i didnt. whereas i went to a few games and followed them a bit back years ago when they got more coverage and people could follow whats happening.

moseley

Alwayz Diana said:
Mistakes - dey've made PLENTY! wat happened 2 free 2 air football?? Tell me?? Its no longer! The only free 2 air football is past world cups on sunday afternoon so we are competing with NRL n Tennis n Cricket n all dat other jazz. Ohh i know dat Champions League is on early morning Wed n Thur but ONLY ppl who already like football will get up 2 watch it so were not enticing new supporters!
How about da 1.5million dollar salary cap?? WHO from overseas is goin 2 cum n play da sport here when overseas countries offer so much more?? For goodness sake England 5th division offers $180,000 + car + house n Italian 4th division offer $200,000!! Not to mention da attention n adoring fans??? They r treated like GODS ova dere! Why cum here??
AND DO NOOTT get me started on FRANK FARINA! OMG wat da hell r dey still keepin him 4!
If u want me 2 name any moer reasons plz juss say cauz im tellin u i gotta list!

For starters diana football australia could nt get any of the commercial networks to show the new A league so instead of making as it has been done for the past decade and just not been shown on any tv and got it put onto fox.
the 1.5 mill salary cap is there to make the league more fair as not all clubs could afford a higher salary cap of 1.5 million
And as for frank he has tried his best of the last couple of years but was given no help from the olds soccer adminsitration in not orgainisng the socceroos any internationals on top of other things.
in summary new football administration good old soccer administration bad

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)