A lot of questions in terms of counting marks (1 Viewer)

hurikai

boredofposting
HSC
Some help plz :) been thinking about this stuff for a while so I've built up a lot of questions...

1. If I have done the HSC tests for 2U, 3U and 4U maths, and I stuff up the 3U exam, can I count both the 2U and 4U marks? How many units will the 4U mark be worth? If it's worth 2 units, then would it be possible to intentionally screw up your 3U exam so that your 2U mark will be counted instead of your 3U mark? Also - if I were to do 3U english, and I stuffed up my 2U exam, would the ext. english mark be counted as 1 unit alone?

2. I've also heard that in some cases a 2U subject can be made to count towards 1U of your HSC... so if I've done, for example, 4U Maths, 3U Eng, 2U Phys and 2U chem, and I do better in ext. english than in chem, can I count the ext. english to my UAI and count 1 units worth of chem?

3. There's a rule that you have to do at least 4 subjects for your HSC... does this mean 4 subjects counted towards your 10U, or can you simply attempt 4 subjects and only count 3 towards your UAI? If the answer is the first option, if you were to do, for example, 4U Maths and 4U English, would you be able to take 1U each from 2 2U subjects?

4. Last question... if I were doing an accelerated subject, and I got an average mark, and I wanted to redo that subject next year - if I screw up the subject the second time, will I be able to count my mark for the first year towards the HSC?

I know that's a lot of questions, but I really really want to get everything clear...
Thanks heaps for any help ^^

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
1. I don't think you're allowed to be officially enrolled in 2U, 3U and 4U at the same time. Some 4U people sit their school's internal 2U exams informally to give them the option of dropping down later, but you can't do that officially, certainly not during the HSC exams.

For 3U English: a minimum of 2 units of English must be counted towards the UAI. If your worst two units are Eng Adv, and you are studying more than 10 units in total, then one unit of Eng Adv and one unit of Extension 1 would be counted.

2. Yes. Chem would be weighted half as much as the other 2U subjects.

3. There's no minimum number of subjects needed to be counted to the UAI. You need to do four to be eligible for a UAI, but they don't all have to count towards it. So the second part of the question is irrelevant.

4. No idea.

hurikai

boredofposting
HSC
oh ok, thanks for the help...

triangulum, I'm at sb so we accelerate 2U Maths and do it for the HSC in year 11 as insurance, and then do whatever in year 12...

so does anyone know the answer to question 1..? If I screw up my 3U exam, does the ext. 2 still count as 2 units?

P

pLuvia

Count for what? the UAI?

Once you do 4u, they disregard your 2u HSC mark (if you have one), so they count your 3u and 4u mark end of story, your 2u mark is gone

For english any of the units of english can count, so yes if you screw up your adv eng, and ace your 3u eng, they take that one unit of ext eng + one unit of your adv eng and add them together, so say you got 60 in adv eng, and 50 in ext eng, then they halve that 60 to get 30 + 50 from ext eng, then the mark counted towards your uai is 80

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)