A question addressed to persons aiming for, or expecting, a high ATAR... (1 Viewer)

imZerroo

HSC
You need to have a clear plan on what you want to learn. Smart study differs from person to person.
For Physics it's pretty simple.
Make notes on each and every Syllabus dotpoint.
Memorise the key facts for the 'remembering' dot points and complete problems for the 'calculation' dot points.
Always rememver to state the formula(e) required and show the substitution line.
I'd recommend the Shadwick HSC Physics 'Dotpoint' workbook to test your knowledge.
After learning your notes and completing Dotpoint, practice past HSC papers. Look at the marking criteria for each question and relate it back to the syllabus dotpoint being tested.
I can't give any advice on Pracs, seeing as the marking criteria differs from school to school.
Maths is different. This is what I do for 3U.
I know MOST of the content in the 3U so I sit past HSC papers. I divide the exam into parts. Stage I Q1-5 and Stage 2 Q6-7.
Each Stage has 50 minutes working time and 5 minutes reading time (for both stages). Pass mark for Stage 1 is 58/60. Pass mark for Stage 2 is 21/24 with the total pass mark being 79/84. The normal 3U HSC is 2 hours, so you have 10 minutes time to look over your work and fix up any mistakes. Keep doing papers until you're consistently passing. If you can't do a question, skip it. 3U is about speed. You can come back to it later. If you're consistently getting a particular topic wrong, work on textbook problems. ALWAYS MARK YOUR WORK.
4U, I'm not going to give any advice other than 4U=Care.

tl;dr Phys: notes on each dot point, memorise.
3u : Past papers, 2 stages, pass is 79/84 or higher. Speed.
4u : Care
Thanks a lot mate.
I have been lazy for so long,
I have fully answered points for first two physics topics, but not for last 2.
1. I didn't have time (common excuse I know.)
2. I have been really lazy and putting it off.

I am mainly doing past papers now,
coz I did good in my 1/2 yrlies where i only did notes,
not many past papers.
This time, no notes, only past papers.
I do have note from BOS though which I am trying to memorise.

As for Maths, I have always left it till last day.
But I have always been up to date in class.
And usually I end up doing 10+ past papers 2 days before the exam.
As I said, laziness has killed me this year, but just like everyone,
I'm sure I can put in the hard yards these 2 weeks before trials.
Thanks for your help again.

Hermes1

Banned
HSC
4U is much easier than 3U...
Seriously though, I don't do 4U papers in stages. I just try and finish...and hopefully score more than 90
r u jokin, 4U maths is not easier than 3U maths, 3U maths i havent studied all year and im still averaging 96% and coming first

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
There's a reason why MX2 is named as such, it's because it's harder than MX1.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Both parties are correct. In terms of theory, 4U is not much harder than 3U but the scope of the questions/application varies immensely.

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
I wasn't serious...internet sarcasm fail on my part.
I'd be happy to get above 75% in 4U, but anything below 90% in a 3U HSC is disappointing, to say the least.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
This is interesting that many high achievers do economics...must be why it's basically the best scaling humanity. I see why though, it is harder appears to have much more content than a history or my friends legal/SAC/business classes. All the knowledge builds on it's self and you need to be able to write essays and interpret data.

Maybe should focus on my economics more, don't wanna get owned in it come HSC >.<

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
This is interesting that many high achievers do economics...must be why it's basically the best scaling humanity. I see why though, it is harder appears to have much more content than a history or my friends legal/SAC/business classes. All the knowledge builds on it's self and you need to be able to write essays and interpret data.

Maybe should focus on my economics more, don't wanna get owned in it come HSC >.<
Eco is a LOT of content. That's why it scales similarly to Chem and Phys...and that's why I do it. I'm a scaling hoar.

powlmao

Banned
HSC

I do all the Humanities :)

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Eco is a LOT of content. That's why it scales similarly to Chem and Phys...and that's why I do it. I'm a scaling hoar.
Economics is pro, it is so good!

The content isn't to bad, it is more the application of it.

HSC
My eco teacher is the worst ever. I appreciate the economic concepts and demand and supply and externalities within those...but...I think the economics syllabus is a bit long winded. Ie lots of similar content is repeated and repeated...and there is just so much content! Arghhh! And it's 40% extended resps in HSC...which is death for me, anyway. That is why I'm choosing it over physics. Though, the physics teacher is abominable too...but I will have some motivation to learn it.

jnney

lemon
HSC
I don't want to waste my life away doing a course I don't like. Hence I must work hard to be able to study what I like. :)

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
I don't want to waste my life away doing a course I don't like. Hence I must work hard to be able to study what I like. :)
Ahahahahahahahaha! Do Medicine. Become Big doctor! Make your family proud!

No, but seriously though, I agree with your sentiment completely. Do shiet subjects now...so I can do what I want later. I actually like 4U and Phys...can't say the same for Eco and Eng :/
And I do want to be a doctor when I grow up...just not a medical doctor :D

jnney

lemon
HSC
Ahahahahahahahaha! Do Medicine. Become Big doctor! Make your family proud!

No, but seriously though, I agree with your sentiment completely. Do shiet subjects now...so I can do what I want later. I actually like 4U and Phys...can't say the same for Eco and Eng :/
And I do want to be a doctor when I grow up...just not a medical doctor :D
See you at MBBS. LMAO.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I thought Physics would be interesting but the teacher they have? Nice guy, can't teach. Nearly the whole class is failing. They have an awesome teacher that should be teaching it imho.

I dunno if I like Economics, but I do well enough in it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)