A question for UWS Law students (1 Viewer)

jeffreylah

HSC
Hello, I'am currently in yr12 and i want to do B Laws/B Arts at UWS, but i don't really know much about the university.
What would be the difference between the two campuses that offer Law? Other than the distance problem (I live on the North Shore so have to drive nearly 1-2hrs to go to Campbelltown if i was accepted).
I would be applying for both Parramatta and Campbelltown (But i prefer Parramatta *I really want to do Law, but i don't think i will get a UAI good enough to get in to any other Uni for Law).
And how is the campus life like? Is there lots to do as well, just like other Uni's?

spank_meh

add me on MSN NOW!!!!
HSC
campbelltown campus is prety nice :) i've never been to parramatta one..

dude i think you would get sick of travelling almost every day for a few years..

Angel45

HSC
I do law at Parra. I don't know about the difference between campuses but I think Parra's a nice campus... it's by the river.. there's a cafe with cakes and coffee and I think like focacia's and stuff and also a bar with hot food with a pool table too and generally lots of ppl round there. There's quite a few ppl around lately - think its getting more and more. They have a moot court like Campbelltown. I like the big, old rooms as well plus there's the new building which I think some of the law classes will be (my one for next semester is in there) so that should have flashy new technology. UWS probably doesn't have the greatest social life going by personal observation...there's so many campuses which is probably one reasons for it...but they do occassionally have things going on around campus near the library and bar...

If u want info on what kind of diff events you can check out these:

http://www.uwssa.org.au/

http://www.uwsconnect.com.au/

Also there's associations like the law society and business, law and ethics association you can join.

I've liked the lecturers at Parra and one difference is that the order of subjects you do is a bit different but that's pretty much a non-issue.

You may wanna consider where ur arts subjects will be too to consider whether campbelltown or parra will be closer in case u have to transit between the two esp. in the one day.

Good luck with it... I'm loving law at UWS!

L

LaraB

jeffreylah said:
Hello, I'am currently in yr12 and i want to do B Laws/B Arts at UWS, but i don't really know much about the university.
What would be the difference between the two campuses that offer Law? Other than the distance problem (I live on the North Shore so have to drive nearly 1-2hrs to go to Campbelltown if i was accepted).
I would be applying for both Parramatta and Campbelltown (But i prefer Parramatta *I really want to do Law, but i don't think i will get a UAI good enough to get in to any other Uni for Law).
And how is the campus life like? Is there lots to do as well, just like other Uni's?
like Angel45 said - there is no difference between campuses as far as course content goes. The order of some of the core units for law may differ, but if the course name is the same at both campuses, you will do all the same content. The only thing is parramatta have 2x2hr classes for most of the earlier units, whereas campbelltown has 1X4hr class so if you have a short attention span parra may be better for you :)

Despite what most people seem to think - your non-law course should require more consideration as there's quite a variety from one major to the other whereas law, its gonna be the same at all of uws.

What arts course are you looking at? Coz depending on what non-law stuff you wanna do - it may make going to c'town or parra a better/worse option... eg - my non-law course runs at parra so i'm doing law at parra...

"Campus life" is pretty well what you make it... plenty of people bitch and whinge about how there's never anything to do, but yet they don't get involved in stuff when big events do happen nor do they get involved in organising events... it seems that c'town has a lot more social stuff than parra as far as regular, small things.. but all the campuses have stuff going on throughout semester... if you wanna konw more go to the links Angel45 posted.. or go to the uws site and look in the 'clubs and societies' bit coz there's a lot of stuff that isn't run by the uni as such, but is run by people from the uni..

d_elmo

HSC
As LaraB said, campbelltown has the seminars in large blocks, you would have a better chance of reducing the number of days you have to go compared to parra; so if you're travelling 1-2 hours to get to uni campbelltown might be a better option

Jonathan A

HSC
There is no real difference in campuses. The University tries to ensure it is as unified among campuses. The only difference logistically is that there may be different lecturers, different sequence of doing the units and electives.

In your first three years, the main difference will be the order of units. These are your Core Units and are generally knowledge-based substantive law. By the end of the first three years, both campuses would have completed the same exact law units.

The last two years, you may expect to travel between the two if needed. In those years, you would have finished your BA and concentrating on you LLB. The advantage is that LLB electives which you will do at this time are very flexible. E.g. International Trade Law is taught in weekend segments and Advanced Criminal Law is taught over 5 sessions spread over semester.

Jonathan A

HSC
My advice to you is get involved in law-related events at the university. They can create greate oppurtunities for you. Do not sit back and do the bare essentials.

Wish you well with the HSC...

Jonathan A

HSC
LaraB said:
it seems that c'town has a lot more social stuff than parra as far as regular, small things.. but all the campuses have stuff going on throughout semester... if you wanna konw more go to the links Angel45 posted.. or go to the uws site and look in the 'clubs and societies' bit coz there's a lot of stuff that isn't run by the uni as such, but is run by people from the uni..

C/Town has a lower social life. Parramatta actually does better here. Penrith has the largest social life given its the main campus (main as in where the Vice Chancellor is).

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
No-one in their right mind would drive from anywhere on the North Shore to Campbelltown, it's moronic to do so. You'd most likely be travelling during peak hours, along the M5 and Harbour Bridge which are both filled with traffic during those hours to the point where you're frequently stopping.

Macarthur station is close enough to UWS, but both Campbelltown and Macarthur stations are linked by a bus to the university, from what I have heard. It'd be a much better bet to catch a train. You could arrange your classes so that your interchange times on the train fall in the times when there are the most services.

If you picked Parramatta, it would be even easier. I don't know much about trains above the City Circle, but seeing as the North Shore line is yellow, as is Parramatta, you'd have a fairly easy time getting there.

L

LaraB

Nebuchanezzar said:
No-one in their right mind would drive from anywhere on the North Shore to Campbelltown, it's moronic to do so. You'd most likely be travelling during peak hours, along the M5 and Harbour Bridge which are both filled with traffic during those hours to the point where you're frequently stopping.

Macarthur station is close enough to UWS, but both Campbelltown and Macarthur stations are linked by a bus to the university, from what I have heard. It'd be a much better bet to catch a train. You could arrange your classes so that your interchange times on the train fall in the times when there are the most services.

If you picked Parramatta, it would be even easier. I don't know much about trains above the City Circle, but seeing as the North Shore line is yellow, as is Parramatta, you'd have a fairly easy time getting there.
nuh-uh... waaaay quicker to motorway it by car than catch a train...

L

LaraB

Jonathan A said:
C/Town has a lower social life. Parramatta actually does better here. Penrith has the largest social life given its the main campus (main as in where the Vice Chancellor is).
lol i'm just going on what i've seen when i've been at c'town and what friends say... most of em are 4th/5th year students who have been/are at both c'town and parra and they all say c'town is way more 'social'..

lol if you mean the VC's campus lol - there's nothing there :p... no classes..w ell... very very few classes run there... very little 'social' stuff happens there.. more the official lunches and presentations and all that kinda stuff:)

spank_meh

add me on MSN NOW!!!!
HSC
LaraB said:
nuh-uh... waaaay quicker to motorway it by car than catch a train...
petrol is really expensive nowadays, [especially if its an automatic car!!] i spend around$20 a week on petrol and considering i live 20-30 mins away from uni :eek:

spank_meh

add me on MSN NOW!!!!
HSC
LaraB said:
well... i livemaybe 15 minutes from uni... petrol costs me about $20 per week for uni... if i was to catch public transport, i'd need a bus a train n a bus... a 4 day week at uni... that's cost me about $21 a week... plus the inconveience and fact that it'd take me instead of 15 minutes, about 1hr 5 mins...

If i was to have to go to c'town campus.. i figured out it cost me to get there and back last time i was there the toll so that's like.. $12... plus petrol so that's about...i t hink it was $10?... so that's $22 for a 30 minutes trip....

i think public transport out there would cost about... $5 less... but the total trip includingtime waiting for buses n trains would take nearly 2 hours some days...

I'm more than willing to pay a bit more if it means not being stuck on or waiting for public transport surrounded by weirdos who feel a need to start conversations with me.. or rain... or cold lol :)
lol yeah true that mmm

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)