A question on Time Dialation (1 Viewer)

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
Hello :wave:, My Physics teacher gave me a problem.
Why does time dialate near the speed of light?

I used einstein's thought experiment about the train. I said that the light seen from
man A (in train with uniform velocity) takes 1 second to go from the bulb to the reciever via the mirror due to the law that states that you can not tell weather you are moving or still without reference to an outside point. The man B (on the embankment) sees the light take 2.32 seconds to get to the reciever. And they are both right because the speed of light is the same in all frames of reference.

The question is, am i right or wrong and if so could any one help me please, please, please... it is killing me!
Thanks

Wyvern02

HSC
yeah it's right, maybe you could add the reason why the man B saw the light travel in 2.32 sec.

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
Wyvern02 said:
yeah it's right, maybe you could add the reason why the man B saw the light travel in 2.32 sec.
THANKS Wyvern02 and to answer your kinda question;

its because the light has further to travel because the mirror and reciever had both moved as soon as the light came from the bulb.

And I just made a guess (2.32 sec) but I do know the mathematical formula for determining the amount of time dialated [ T = t/root of 1- (v^2/c^2) ] and it mathematical derivation (using pythagoras' theorem).

THANKS A MILLION:D

p.s. And the good thing is... i'm only in yr. 8:)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)