A subject which I like but am not good at, or the reverse? (1 Viewer)

What should I keep?

• The subject I am good at but don't like.

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • The subject I am not good at but do like.

Votes: 7 70.0%

• Total voters

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
This'll probably help many. Hopefully.

I am stuck in a pickle - 16 units, despite what my sig says, and I am dropping something. That's for sure. But what?

Maths and its Extensions? Of course not. I just splurged many a dollar on some help books for that.
English 2u? I ain't dropping down.
English 3u? My marks are good, my rank isn't - still, I need to do it so I can do...
English 4u? I want to write a story. Period.
Chemistry? I beat the class... I'm 1st by a loooong way (24% in the last exam). Ain't dropping that.
Legal Studies? My teacher said I'm Band 6 material. I also enjoy the class. Not dropping that.

But then I'm stuck with the two subjects..

Physics. And Economics.

Economics? I was third ranked of eight last time - but then I got the highest exam mark for the half yearlies, and the yearlies (83%). It's an extension of Commerce, and I feel I can just give my 'commerce' answers to most things so far - and my drive is losing out for it.

Physics? I'm ranked first... or second. Pipped by 4% in the yearly. I got a lovely... 56%, while the leader got 60%. Despite this, I'm very much looking forward to learning about Einstein and that kind of stuff.

My careers adviser told me to keep Econ and drop Physics, although she doubles as my Econ teacher, I do have second thoughts. There are other benefits to dropping Econ, namely, two consecutive study periods every Monday and Thursday - meaning I can at least attempt most of a past paper, without stopping after 40 minutes for if I drop Physics. Although dropping Physics, I'd get nine study periods per two-week cycle, although they are far apart and there are no doubles.

So what does the BoS think? A subject I like but am not good at (marks wise) or a subject I'm good at but don't like?

toby12

HSC
well i also dislike economics, and really, more and more you do it your dislike for it (i believe) will just grow, and for physics well if you're looking forward to upcoming topics and you enjoy them i can't see why you wont perform well in them and being ranked 2 is still very good in itself. so definitely physics for me!

toby12

HSC
yeah or drop both and have 12 units.. as that will allow more time to focus on other subjects as well

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I am not a gambling man I'm afraid, 12 units is on the brink of insanity for me... I'd have English 4u, Maths 4u, Chemistry and Legal. With those, I'd probably do quite well actually - but Maths Ext 2 and both English extensions will keep me thoroughly worried on how I go...

ashllis92

HSC
I would say drop both and I think that after not too long you will but I would drop Eco because 56 in physics is scaled pretty well anyway. If you enjoy it and are looking forward to it then you're going to be motivated to work harder and therefore get better marks. Physics is hard work but I personally and a lot of people I know get a great sense of satisfaction from understanding a concept and being able to apply it...

lizajane91

HSC
honestly i think the smartest thing to do would be to drop both, as by the time you come to studying for trials/HSC u'll regret doing so many subjects. However i can tell you dont really like that idea so i think drop eco as yr 11 is usually easier than yr12 and if ur already loosing interest, yr 12 will be a long haul.. As the year progresses u will begin to understand that doing the least amount of subs possible is the best idea so u'll probs end up dropping physics too! anyway good luck with yr 12

tonyharrison

HSC
Keeppp physicsss!!!!
Just as long as you do 'From Quanta to Quarks' as your optional study.
Space topic was reallly fun, learn about projectile motion, orbits, einstein's theory of special relativity and all this really cool stuff about time, length and mass dilation.
Motors and generators is pretty bull, but you learn some cool stuff
Ideas to implementations is fun and yeah.
Didn't do Ecos....but that's cause it is inferior to physics!

tku336

HSC
Do 12 units with those sort of subjects. The subjects you have chosen are all hugely demanding. 4Maths is huge, English Extension and Extension 2 are the equivalent of 2 unit subjects in their workload to do well, you've chosen the two big rote-learning sciences, and another big humanity in eco (Can't speak for legal as our school doesn't offer it).There are people doing well at our school with 14 - just very few, and they generally do languages where the workload is far less and you're working off internalised knowledge from years 7-11 as well. You will a) not be able to cope with those subjects and 16 units, or b) cope at the expense of thinning your workload across the subjects and thus limit your chances of succeeding in the HSC.

alina yousif

HSC
Do not drop ECONOMICS. I REPEAT DO NOT DROP ECONOMICS.
I personally love love love it! and it's high scaling.
I came first for Business studies on 96% and i was 2 for Economics on 91% and after a uai calculation (a teacher does it on his computer based on past student performance) my economics was scaled way higher than my business. Hence the fact that you're on 83 which is pretty good for economics. I guess physics also is high scaling however that's only if you do well in it.. so totally up to you. i guess stick with a subject that you enjoy and try to limit your units. i do 13 and although it isn't stressful now because i've sent my english ext2 major, at times before it was sent it got stressful

WalkerP

HSC
So what does the BoS think? A subject I like but am not good at (marks wise) or a subject I'm good at but don't like?
Firstly, I wish I had these subjects to pick from*. Secondly, Unless you’re *awful* (you don’t seem to be), or unless you think you will struggle a lot to get the ATAR you want (doesn’t seem to be the case either), I would stay with what you like. I’d give it time though, if you’re not sure. Get a taste of the year twelve courses. It’s not as though you have to drop NOW. (I wouldn’t stay at 16 forever though – that’s too much) With fourteen units, you’ve got room for error – most people do 10-12. (I’m doing 14 too though)

*They were my two preferred topics. Our school didn’t run economics because we were 1 person short of the minimum. I was overseas when they had us pick subjects. They emailed me the sheets –*but I was sans-internets. The day I got back, they’d already worked out the lines. And it was the last day that I could apply to do correspondence – I didn’t find that out til the next week. Grrr.

HSC
I actually was in this exact position last year.
I liked biology but was absolutely shit at it. 48% in prelims :(
But I kept it and persisted with it. And I actually came out coming 4th.

Whereas a subject I WAS ok at, at the time, extension 1 maths I should have dropped. I took it into year 12 and dropped it in March. I didn't enjoy it one bit.
Disliked the subject, not that great of a class and felt stupid compared to everyone else. It was a waste of time keeping it and it was such a struggle to make myself listen because it did not interest me what so ever.

Go with subject you like but are not good at. Its amazing how much changes when you hit year 12, well thats what it was like for me anyway. Remember, you are more likely to work harder in a subject you enjoy ;)

Mu5hi

Banned
HSC
Eco does get alot harder in year 12, and alot of stats remembering is need.

Lukybear

HSC
Listen to the others. Drop both. Think of it this way. If you have more time for subject, then youll fail less.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Since you're all gravedigging the topic, I'll suppose I'll post an update.

I ended up dropping Economics because I hated it - and I had no drive for it. Physics is getting interesting with stuff like escape velocity and the like, although I am annoyed we don't get to do Quanta to Quarks and have to do... *sigh* "Medical Physics" and don't get to look at pictures of nuclear bombs, but instead get to look at pictures of a chair stuck to an MRI machine because someone forgot to secure it.

Although I might drop that even too - not sure how I'll do in the Electricity Segment which killed me greatly this year, pushing my mark down to 60%-ish, although still at the top of the cohort.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)