Aas (1 Viewer)

nesstar

I'm ok with the theory behind AAS and how the machine works, but I'm really struggling with answering questions relating to AAS - the ones where you are required to work out the concentrations of samples and graph calibration curves etc. I really can't get my head around the process. Plz help!

edd91

HSC
You should get a set of values of AAS readings for known ppm concentrations, plot them on a graph accurately. You should then be given a AAS value for your sample, find that value on the graph and you can see the ppm of it aswell

nesstar

thanx 4 that...but sometimes you have to work out the ppm concentrations from data - i think that's the part that confuses me the most...when u get bombarded with info about masses and volumes etc.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Might be easier if you gave an example (or two) of questions that are causing you problems.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
oh yea, talk abt aas... cm_tutor: learning the molecular orbital theory, i am starting to think that aas can be applied to any ions, not only cations... because doubtlessly, there will be a energy gap regardless if tis cation or anion... but then i was readin my chem notes from hsc, i wrote down (as instructed) that it only works for cations???

can you plz verify this for me???

thx in adv =)

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
AAS will only work on species that can be present in a flame as isolated (unbonded) atoms or ions - hence the name of Atomic Absorption Spectroscopy. This restricts it practically to most metal cations, as there aren't many other species that survive the conditions.

For example, if you want to measure Ca<sup>2+</sup>, then you can't get a decent reading in the presence of phosphate, colloidal aggregates form that don't readily come apart to release the metal cation, even in a flame. You can reduce this problem by forming a complex - the EDTA<sup>4-</sup> complex with calcium is good, [CaEDTA]<sup>2-</sup>, as the ligand combusts in the flame, releasing the calcium cations.

Remember that we are talking about a high temperature flame, so we are talking about an environment with a lot of unusual, and highly reactive species. For example, the C<sub>2</sub> radical is common in a flame, but you won't encounter it in many other places.

Last edited:

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
uhm, ok... aas is alot mroe complicated than i thought...

so aas only works by exciting electrons around an ATOM rather than any complex/ions???

i thought it work similar as IR spectroscopy, where if the frequency is right, the molecule absorbs that wavelength of light hence a dark band in the spectrum @@

nesstar

AAS is more complicated than u thought?? R u ppl trying to convince us poor lil yr 12 students not to do chem at uni, cos that is so over my head!

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by nesstar
AAS is more complicated than u thought?? R u ppl trying to convince us poor lil yr 12 students not to do chem at uni, cos that is so over my head!
ohhh... no... not at all... chem is one of the most interestin subjects you will do in uni =D (aprt from maths that is)...

and the fact that something is more complicated than you thought should be another reason for you do the course ~~~ so that you can endavour on the great journey in finding out the truth ~~~ =D simply fascinating...

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by xiao1985
uhm, ok... aas is alot mroe complicated than i thought...

so aas only works by exciting electrons around an ATOM rather than any complex/ions???

i thought it work similar as IR spectroscopy, where if the frequency is right, the molecule absorbs that wavelength of light hence a dark band in the spectrum @@
Since a complex will have 'molecular' orbitals that are different from the atomic orbitals of the cation, it is not surprising that the exitation wavelength would have changed, even if you assume that the orbital into which the electron would have been promoted remains vacant.

Remember with IR that the frequencies change with the environment. This is fine if you are going to scan the spectrum (as in IR), but is a problem if you are using monochromatic light, as in AAS

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Nesstar, I agree with xiao that Chem can be (and frequently is) interesting. Remember that xiao is a Uni student, and so has much more background theory than you do - For an HSC student, none of the complications that can interfere with AAS are an issue. Also, AAS is really not that complicated a technique. It works on monatomic cations in a flame, and anything that stops a cation being monatomic will interfere. Xiao's question begins to address the interference issue, which is why I brought it up

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
yea... thanks for the explanation cm_tutor =)

i asked those questions because this question was asked by an other bos'er previously, during the period when you were away... i wrongly stated that aas would work on all species, nto just the cations... so i wish to get this clarified... =D

nesstar

I must say I am very gald at this stage that the complications don't come into it!

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
I must say I am very gald at this stage that the complications don't come into it!
Actually, they are rarely a major problem in practice, either. A large enough amount of cyanide or EDTA removes most of the complications. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)