About Advanced English Prelim... (1 Viewer)

Pink Oni

HSC
I can't seem to find many "helpers/study guides" for this, like anywhere. I think I saw ONE Excel book in a Dymocks store and that's it. No one has love for Prelim Advanced English students?

Pink Oni

HSC
Aerath said:
You might as well be looking for specific study guides such as York Notes or Get Smart etc.
Ah yes, Get Smart. I borrowed that today, but it didn't seem to fit the syllabus for Prelims, unless it is and I am being a little ignorant lol. Oh well.

Asherah

HSC
Advanced English study guides are usually useless, due to the fact that a lot of the time schools can often pick different texts during prelim, and they change fairly often. I've done prelim advanced english three times, and I've done a different text each time, within a fairly short span of time.

The best bet is to look online for specific study guides for the texts, and pull out relevant information for the angle you're looking at the text from. Also, try to buy a copy of the actual text that includes study notes. Most useful thing I've ever spent the extra money on.

m&ss2008

HSC
Without Wings said:
It is because the Preliminary English course isn't as structured as the HSC course, where there is a prescribed text list, thus there is such a wide range of texts that can be studied.
this year is the start of the new area of study right? maybe as time progresses there might be more

Asherah

HSC
Right about now, I'd kill for a study guide to help me compare Gattaca and Animal Farm for my upcoming assessment. Our entire class seems a little baffled.

Pink Oni

HSC
Asherah said:
Right about now, I'd kill for a study guide to help me compare Gattaca and Animal Farm for my upcoming assessment. Our entire class seems a little baffled.
LOL

Well, they both compare in the opening quote from the Bible, don't they? "Consider what God has done: Who can straighten what he has made crooked?" They both compare in that they both try to create a perfect society right?

Discrimination, perhaps? In that of genes in Gattaca and that of species in Animal Farm (basically, if you aren't a Pig or a Dog, you're a slave).

Secret muders? Well, I guess in Animal Farm it was quite clear but the animals were led astray. Also, Gattaca is obvious in that the mission director was killed with a keyboard, lol.

:/ That's all I can think of...

Pink Oni

HSC
Without Wings said:
It is because the Preliminary English course isn't as structured as the HSC course, where there is a prescribed text list, thus there is such a wide range of texts that can be studied.
Aww, what a shame :( Well, I'm gonna study Animal Farm this year which should be easy to find study guides for anyway :D

Asherah

HSC
Pink Oni said:
LOL

Well, they both compare in the opening quote from the Bible, don't they? "Consider what God has done: Who can straighten what he has made crooked?" They both compare in that they both try to create a perfect society right?

Discrimination, perhaps? In that of genes in Gattaca and that of species in Animal Farm (basically, if you aren't a Pig or a Dog, you're a slave).

Secret muders? Well, I guess in Animal Farm it was quite clear but the animals were led astray. Also, Gattaca is obvious in that the mission director was killed with a keyboard, lol.

:/ That's all I can think of...
Yeah, I can think of minor, extremely specific things I can pull off, but it's the major, overarching themes that're irritating me. I mean, sure. If you want to pull it down to the basic levels, but that's not what they're looking for in advanced.

Pink Oni

HSC
Asherah said:
Yeah, I can think of minor, extremely specific things I can pull off, but it's the major, overarching themes that're irritating me. I mean, sure. If you want to pull it down to the basic levels, but that's not what they're looking for in advanced.
I get what you are saying. Specifics aren't enough lol. Well, I guess you can link them both to corrupted Utopia's; therefore, they become Dystopic. Then you can expand using the specifics :D

Thinking back, the three examples mentioned before pretty much relates to that. Maybe your specifics do aswell?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
There are about a zillion Animal Farm guides out there. Not sure about Gattaca, though. I've never watched it - it's later on in my course of Visions of Utopia and Dystopia for EX1.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)