About to enter my Virginia Woolf phase... (1 Viewer)

veanz

hath no fury
HSC
N/A
i love such 'phases' where you read a whole bunch of novels by the same author as quick as you can. Jane Austen, Leo Tolstoy, Bronte sisters...yet to start dickens bc i know it'll take me forever...does anyone else go through similar bursts?

but need your expert help, what do you guys reccommend? of VW?
And how would describe her writing? is it explicit in its simplicity like sylvia plath is?

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
I'd recommend Mrs Dalloway to begin with. Its a fine introduction to her writing style, and generally a very good book. (Worked for me. :p)

Hard to describe her style, but the main element I've noticed is that her modernist novels usually eliminate the omniscient impassive narrator. Instead, the narrative progresses through each characters thoughts and actions, rendered in stream-of-consciousness. This has some interesting effects, not only giving insights, but social commentary, and some nicely written passages on time and meaning;

What is the meaning of life? That was all--a simple question; one that tended to close in on one with years. The great revelation had never come. The great revelation perhaps never did come. Instead there were little daily miracles, illuminations, matches struck unexpectedly in the dark; here was one; (To The Lighthouse, p.186)

One of the few exceptions I can think of to this style is the second section of To The Lighthouse (also recommended), 'Time Passes'. In short, I'd recommend beginning with either of these novels, neither is particularly long, and both are excellent reads. Who's afraid of Virginia Woolf? Not I. :D

clerisy

HSC
I've only read Mrs Dalloway, and I worship the ground that book walks on. Sadly, I haven't yet gotten around to reading any of her other fiction works -- though now I think the next book on my list will be To the Lighthouse!

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by clerisy
I've only read Mrs Dalloway, and I worship the ground that book walks on. Sadly, I haven't yet gotten around to reading any of her other fiction works -- though now I think the next book on my list will be To the Lighthouse!
Good choice, and I hope you enjoy it. My next Woolf novel to read is 'The Waves' (Should be buying it in a fortnight).. 'A Room Of Ones Own' is quite good too, an essay about 'women and writing'.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
i like virginia woolf's style of writing. nice looong sentences...it really developed my writing after reading mrs dalloway and the hours (not by woolf)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)