• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

About to get an N award? (1 Viewer)

GorZTE

HSC
N/A
I'm not sure if I condone people giving him advice considering he did technically plagiarise...
So, not understanding the content and getting resources and recommendations from other people and changing is still plagi..?

I guess it's impossible to get 90+ now.........eh?

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
So, not understanding the content and getting resources and recommendations from other people and changing is still plagi..?
It's hard to tell over the internet without actually seeing your essay etc, but using ideas that aren't your own can be plagiarism depending on how you've used them in your essay. Since you don't understand the content I'm thinking this is what the teachers are getting you for.

Spiritual Bean

The only
HSC
You should ask for evidence that you plagiarised. An accusation of malpractice is serious because malpractice is serious, and it should be substantiated. At this stage, you should learn what you wrote and understand it, so should you be asked again by someone else on what you meant, you can actually explain it.

But you've shown no display of your own understanding, which makes your teacher's suspicions valid. You are rote learning, using prescribed quotes, didn't read the book. Maybe you shouldn't fail, but you shouldn't think you deserve a great mark as well.

The Board of Studies has stated that: "Should malpractice be suspected, students will be required to demonstrate that all unacknowledged work is entirely their own."

You have not shown that to your teacher, so the conclusion, whether it's correct or not, is that you have indeed plagiarised.

If you actually want to finish the HSC, why would you suggest giving up? Why is anyone else's opinion relevant in your decision on finishing the HSC?
This.

That BOS quote is really weird. Suspicion isn't evidence and how can you disprove the affirmative? "I made this essay and my dog witnessed it".

The nature of events the kid has related are also pretty weird. If you hand in the task, why is it necessary that the teacher asks you questions about it? It's a hand in.

As I said, suspicion substantiates nothing, and the work should be treated as original until the otherwise is demonstrated. That BOS quote obviously puts my words into question, but it's really the mentality of "guilty until proven innocent".

Anyway, If your teacher absolutely hates the diction in your essays, don't use it. Follow his advice, write in the style that he wants you to write in, which may or may not be the style which succeeds in the HSC exams. You're only there to get the highest internal rank possible, then you can adjust back to your natural style in view of what's required of you to succeed in the externals, if necessary.

Last edited:

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC

I guess it's impossible to get 90+ now.........eh?
Didn't you have to do all my own work and what not in year 10?

What you are doing is essentially just rewriting others work which is plagiarism. When people talk about rote learning English essays this usually means writing a generic essay, memorising it and using it in the exam regardless of the question. Ofcourse sometimes some people memorise other people's essays and that is blatant plagiarism, the fact that some people get away with it doesn't change anything.

A lot of people do get ideas off other people's essays, the internet or books and in the context of the HSC that is kind of expected but what you have done is completely different as you have no idea what you are writing about and your essay will almost certainly be just a rephrasing of others work.

pHyRe

HSC
just say you wrote it yourself using dictionaries etc. so you couldn't remember the exact definition of the word while writing, but you knew it made sense when you looked it up.

enoilgam

HSC
I'm not sure if I condone people giving him advice considering he did technically plagiarise...
I kind of agree, this does sound like a minor case of plagiarism. You cant just reword or paraphrase something without referencing it in some way - you can however, make ideas your own. Since you dont understand the text or anything you wrote, it's clear to me that you just changed the wording and that still is plagiarism.

This.

That BOS quote is really weird. Suspicion isn't evidence and how can you disprove the affirmative? "I made this essay and my dog witnessed it".

The nature of events the kid has related are also pretty weird. If you hand in the task, why is it necessary that the teacher asks you questions about it? It's a hand in.

As I said, suspicion substantiates nothing, and the work should be treated as original until the otherwise is demonstrated. That BOS quote obviously puts my words into question, but it's really the mentality of "guilty until proven innocent".
I totally agree with this as well, the Board's policy in this area is ridiculous. It's pretty much proving a negative - how can you show that you didnt plagiarise something? It's far easier for the school to find proof of plagiarism - besides, as you said, the burden should lie with the accuser and be based around the principle of innocent until proven guilty.

Leffife

A lover is a best friend
HSC
N/A
Seriously.. you are putting yourself at risk. I never used anyone's essay during the olden days when I did my HSC. If you REALLY want to use a prepared essay at least pick out a few good points and its structure. Utilise them when you are writing your essay, but make sure you answer the damn question. DO NOT ever rely on a prepared essay or something else's essay purely. And NO don't even think paraphrasing it doesn't count.
The only thing I'll recommend to you ask your teacher is "where exactly did I plagiarised?".

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Rather than talk your way out of the punishment for something you actually did, you should probably work toward acknowledging that they're right in accusing you of plagiarism so you can identify it and not do it again. If you took an idea from the internet, rote learned it and reproduced it in an essay it is the same as copy-pasting it; it doesn't stop being plagiarism because you wrote it by hand. If you don't want to get an N-award for plagiarism don't plagiarise.

NotCricket

HSC
To be honest, I think that's pretty fair of him... I'm sick and tired of students just gaming the system by having tutors write essays for them. It's much better to try and grasp a conceptual understanding of what you're studying, and write in layman's terms, rather than bluff with words you don't understand.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)