About to get the sack (1 Viewer)

lala2

Banned
HSC
Hey all, I'm in a pickle right now. Lemme explain:

1. The first time I got a complaint was back in December last year, when my boss said people said I had been chatting too much. I made a conscious effort to not chat as much, and I didn't receive a subsequent complaint. It helped when the one girl I was chatty with left at the end of last month.
2. I got a second comment that I needed to pick up my act. So I did--it was easy to because it was Xmas period, and after that Jan during which my boss was away and no complaints were made.
3. My boss called me up 2 weeks ago and said he'd give me 4 weeks otherwise he'd give me the sack. I asked why, he said apparently I wasn't working hard enough. He said he expected more of me as a pharmacy student, and that the original complaint came from the pharmacist supervising me on my work shift that fateful Saturday. I was tired from OWeek, and I admit it was a major mistake, I shouldn't have come but I did, and the pharmacist gave me a shitty job of taking out the rubbish 2 minutes before I was about to leave. My nerves were already strained from the two unexpected bitches who were rostered on to work that day, and I had enough, I said I wasn't doing it, but I'll do half (the vicnity of where I was) because the rubbish was piling up too badly there. So that's when my boss called up.
4. And now it's halfway through, these past two Saturdays I think were the best I've done in a long time, but see I only have another two weeks left. I'm sick and cannot come to work tomorrow, and next Friday, I'm working at my other job from 7am-2:30pm. I'll probably be tired so I won't go to work next Saturday either. So I'm thinking, should I just hand in my resignation letter now or wait for him to quit me, in the hope he may decide he'll give me another two shifts and a chance to prove myself?
5. Initially I was going to quit right away after that phone call, but my parents advised me to do one Saturday, and then, when nothing happened and he stuck to his word and gave me the next Saturday (so last Saturday), they advised me to stay, do it and see what happens. So the initial plan was to resign at some point, but I'm getting doubtful because objectively I'm working at a fairly good workplace, and after talking to people who are finding it really hard to find a job now, I'm tempted just to stay on and be grateful for what I have.
6. On the other hand, it's third year, it's the hardest year (damn you pharmacokinetics and pharm prac!), and I could do with a break. And I want to keep up volunteering and other things, because I guess it's the kind of mentality that I'll not be here by the end of next year, I'll have finished, I should take all the opportunities I can. I'm also an exec for ChocSoc now and due to start my term as NAPSA councillor for SUPA in July so I'm worried I'll have too much on my plate.

So I'm now in a conundrum, help me out here

Evan11

HSC
lala2 said:
Hey all, I'm in a pickle right now. Lemme explain:

1. The first time I got a complaint was back in December last year, when my boss said people said I had been chatting too much. I made a conscious effort to not chat as much, and I didn't receive a subsequent complaint. It helped when the one girl I was chatty with left at the end of last month.
2. I got a second comment that I needed to pick up my act. So I did--it was easy to because it was Xmas period, and after that Jan during which my boss was away and no complaints were made.
3. My boss called me up 2 weeks ago and said he'd give me 4 weeks otherwise he'd give me the sack. I asked why, he said apparently I wasn't working hard enough. He said he expected more of me as a pharmacy student, and that the original complaint came from the pharmacist supervising me on my work shift that fateful Saturday. I was tired from OWeek, and I admit it was a major mistake, I shouldn't have come but I did, and the pharmacist gave me a shitty job of taking out the rubbish 2 minutes before I was about to leave. My nerves were already strained from the two unexpected bitches who were rostered on to work that day, and I had enough, I said I wasn't doing it, but I'll do half (the vicnity of where I was) because the rubbish was piling up too badly there. So that's when my boss called up.
4. And now it's halfway through, these past two Saturdays I think were the best I've done in a long time, but see I only have another two weeks left. I'm sick and cannot come to work tomorrow, and next Friday, I'm working at my other job from 7am-2:30pm. I'll probably be tired so I won't go to work next Saturday either. So I'm thinking, should I just hand in my resignation letter now or wait for him to quit me, in the hope he may decide he'll give me another two shifts and a chance to prove myself?
5. Initially I was going to quit right away after that phone call, but my parents advised me to do one Saturday, and then, when nothing happened and he stuck to his word and gave me the next Saturday (so last Saturday), they advised me to stay, do it and see what happens. So the initial plan was to resign at some point, but I'm getting doubtful because objectively I'm working at a fairly good workplace, and after talking to people who are finding it really hard to find a job now, I'm tempted just to stay on and be grateful for what I have.
6. On the other hand, it's third year, it's the hardest year (damn you pharmacokinetics and pharm prac!), and I could do with a break. And I want to keep up volunteering and other things, because I guess it's the kind of mentality that I'll not be here by the end of next year, I'll have finished, I should take all the opportunities I can. I'm also an exec for ChocSoc now and due to start my term as NAPSA councillor for SUPA in July so I'm worried I'll have too much on my plate.

So I'm now in a conundrum, help me out here
keep working well, show initiative and extra effort. it will take energy from him to sack you so if you perform well over the next weeks i dont think hell sack you.

fernando

Poo
HSC
N/A
yer8899 said:
i think if he gives you the sack, you cant use them as a reference (i think). so i would prob quit if you needed it for work experience.

yeah actually that's a good point. it's better to resign as opposed to getting fired.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but didn't it take you awhile to find this job/the jobs you now have. I mean your working two jobs at the moment so I guess that means that you somewhat need the money/work.

So if I was you I would work out what my priorities are whether they be your volunteering, uni or work. Work out the hours you need for each and which ones you value.

But it being a Pharmacy job I would think that it would certainly help your career and the chances of you getting a job out of uni much more then what any other job would.

That being said try to get everything sorted out, burning out really is not good and it seems if things continue you might be headed that way.

Good luck. :)

Foxodi

HSC
By the sounds of it:
1. you genuinely suck at your job, in which case you should quit for failing :D
2. your boss is threatening you to get you to do anything for him - meaning he is a tool - in which case you should quit.

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
Bulbasaur said:
steal me some hyper potions if you could.

thanks
Why not go for a Max Potion?

P.S. I found a max revive in a tree the other day :)

sarevok

HSC
Do you need the money? If yes, stay. Even if you get fired eventually at least you get some money out of it. If you get fired/resign for incompetence you probably won't be getting a reference out of it, so I doubt the work experience will be too useful in acquiring future jobs.

yer8899 said:
think if he gives you the sack, you cant use them as a reference (i think). so i would prob quit if you needed it for work experience.
There is no legal obligation on employers to give references. If they think lala2 is incompetent, they probably won't give him/her a reference.

lala2

Banned
HSC
Thanks Evan11, pritnep, Foxodi and sarevok! Certainly will take your suggestions on board.
Re: the money--I don't really need the money I guess--the other job is real casual (as in, they email a whole bunch of us dates to work every so often and not with any real regularity, and we just reply if we can work x dates out of that list). I got the pharmacy job because I couldn't rely on the first one and needed something to do in the summer holidays. That's why I'm working--so I have something to do over the holidays.
I guess the reason I have been performing badly is because I'm rather disillusioned about pharmacy as a career--community is so boring, and after my lab demonstrator said that hospital is mainly analytical techniques (and I'm so incompetent in labs I'm always last to finish) and I know for certain research is lab work and nothing else, I'm starting to doubt pharmacy as a career choice. Treacherous to say it here on BOS, I've received so many PMs enquiring about pharmacy since I'm like the only one here, but that's the simple matter of it.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
yer8899 said:
i think if he gives you the sack, you cant use them as a reference (i think). so i would prob quit if you needed it for work experience.
If you leave in any way which leaves your boss pissed off you're not going to get a good reference from them.

Evilo

HSC
so the boss is on your back for not working hard enough + you're stressed from uni.
Decide if job is important/worth extra effort for your resume, then act accordingly.

AntiJap

HSC
N/A
Yeah, working in a pharmacy is pretty boring it seems.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
lala2 said:
Thanks Evan11, pritnep, Foxodi and sarevok! Certainly will take your suggestions on board.
Re: the money--I don't really need the money I guess--the other job is real casual (as in, they email a whole bunch of us dates to work every so often and not with any real regularity, and we just reply if we can work x dates out of that list). I got the pharmacy job because I couldn't rely on the first one and needed something to do in the summer holidays. That's why I'm working--so I have something to do over the holidays.
I guess the reason I have been performing badly is because I'm rather disillusioned about pharmacy as a career--community is so boring, and after my lab demonstrator said that hospital is mainly analytical techniques (and I'm so incompetent in labs I'm always last to finish) and I know for certain research is lab work and nothing else, I'm starting to doubt pharmacy as a career choice. Treacherous to say it here on BOS, I've received so many PMs enquiring about pharmacy since I'm like the only one here, but that's the simple matter of it.
Your welcome. :)

Ah ok, that's fair enough. Has this job made you come to this conclusion or the uni work?

I guess my point is there has to be a reason why you have continued with it for this long (3rd yr now?), I'm sure your not the first person to have doubts about their uni course/where it will get them. Maybe it's the whole juggling act your having to do with everything that's making these thoughts appear well at least be more prominent/not allowing you to think as clearly? I don't really know just trying to help.

Got any ideas what you will do instead of pharmacy? And have you talked to your parents about it?

lala2

Banned
HSC
Thanks pritnep :) I suppose it's both, but especially the job. The uni work--I'm enjoying what I'm learning, the whole physiology side of things anyway (and I suppose I can't expect any better than pharmacology with thousands of drug names to remember) and med chem's getting better.

Plus, I should mention that my first job is FUN....and it's conditional on me staying at uni. Now I know it sounds ridiculous to stay at uni just for a job but oh my gosh if you knew....and plus I'm earning a lot of money from it...let's just say more than $25/hr and it would take me at least 5 years out of uni to earn that kind of rate if I worked on a part-time basis at a pharmacy. Plus I can think of a few more DEGREES I would like to do for interest as well so why not? So I might not end up working in pharmacy....for a while anyway at least.

Maybe it's the juggling too, though I have put all volunteering and stuff on hold just until I can settle into the study routine, so it's just been me, uni and tiredness. I just don't want to leave on bad terms if I know that I have a fighting chance of at least making up for it and maybe leaving on neutral terms, but I don't wanna risk the situation of he STILL not thinking that I've worked hard enough over the four weeks he's given me (and I have consciously put in all the effort I can) when I could just leave now because the situation isn't getting any better, if you get my point? Oh why I can't I tell the future?

Dilemma, dilemma.

Sacrifice

HSC
I would suggest continuing working with your boss until you are on as best terms with them as possible then apologise for your lapse in productivity in the past. Work a bit more than give them a letter of notice stating your resignation from employment due to conflicting schedules and competing priorities with your university studies, thereby increasing your chances of receiving a decent reference should you choose to continue working in that field.

Bainesy

HSC
just tell you boss what you told us and tell him you will work harder in the next few weeks

also add that she has really nice hair today or that you like the tie he is wearing

if you do this and things dont go well, you can say to yourself in a loud enough way so that your boss hears "damn, my wife is gonna kill me. how will i pay for little bobby's eye surgery now" or something

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)