Absolutely Desperate! Creative Writing Help! (1 Viewer)

Dr_Doom

HSC
j_a_m_e_s said:
You could say your a kid in an exam trying tothink of a creative writing idea?
The people on the advice line said not to relate anything to the HSC in your creative writing.

help_me_please

it nerd
HSC
j_a_m_e_s said:
You could say your a kid in an exam trying tothink of a creative writing idea?
yeah, i've heard thats cliched as well...

thanks for all your help guys so far, i really appreciate it!

passion89

HSC
Didn't read your story but I have a few tips from my teacher for the creative section (last year's HSC marker):

*Stay away from 'back to the homeland' stories. Too predictable and frequent.

*Try not to fall in the trap that fantasy=interesting. Few students know how to write a good fantasy style narrative especially in relation to journeys.

*Try not to write any bus-trip stories. They're too boring.

*Stay away from (mostly for imaginative journeys) dreams or 'and then I woke up and it was all a dream'.

*Stay away from 'and then I climbed the Harbour Bridge'. Apparently these stories are wayyyyyyyyy to frequent lol.

*Teenage angst

*Anything remotely emo-ish

If I think of anymore, I'll add it to the list. But that was mostly what my teacher was stressing.

Last edited:

Dr_Doom

HSC
passion89 said:
Didn't read your story but I have a few tips from my teacher for the creative section (last year's HSC marker):

*Stay away from 'back to the homeland' stories. Too predictable and frequent.

*Try not to fall in the trap that fantasy=interesting. Few students know how to write a good fantasy style narrative especially in relation to journeys.

*Try not to write any bus-trip stories. They're too boring.

*Stay away from (mostly for imaginative journeys) dreams or 'and then I woke up and it was all a dream'.

*Stay away from 'and then I climbed the Harbour Bridge'. Apparently these stories are wayyyyyyyyy to frequent lol.

*Teenage angst

*Anything remotely emo-ish

If I think of anymore, I'll add it to the list. But that was mostly what my teacher was stressing.
lol bus-trip stories... what happens on a bus? I did a train story for my trial and got 12/15.

help_me_please

it nerd
HSC
Dr_Doom said:
lol bus-trip stories... what happens on a bus? I did a train story for my trial and got 12/15.
maybe the markers don't like public transport... lol

another thing not to write about - being on a deserted island

thanks for your help passion89

Vicsta

HSC
As said previously try to be Creative, dont use cliche and try and think outside of the box, anything typical wont get u more than an 7 or an 8 be creative an think about journeys. have opening intros that capture and then go on from thereand dont complicate it , heres my intro:

A sudden feel of sandy water running through his feet broke his concentration of the lecture, the warm sun gazing on the surface of his skin, piercing the pores on his shoulders with a tepid feeling. In contrast the feeling of loss, misadventure, and unfulfilled goals ruptured his body as he sat in a room; a room with more brains than bodies, a feeling of imprisonment- no escape, and the only way out was at the end of the journey.

Vicsta

HSC
nope, as long as you dont overuse it or use it when its not in context... try incorporating it with different aspects of journey... a journey can be similiarto *input* an so on... rememba to keep in context and to chose words wisely and consicely

Dr_Doom

HSC
Nope, I rang up and the guy said it was fine. Just don't overemphasize your on a journey too much.

drewgcn

postpantsism
HSC
help_me_please said:
k - thanks...
i didn't want it to be cliched and i heard that markers mark you better if they're learning something... now this may be my nerdiness coming out, but what about if i did something like this:

---

“101010110001010101010101”

“What? Speak in ASCII.”

“You’re going to have to send it again”

“You have got to be kidding me!”

“The binary was all wrong. Our protocols determine that we’re set at odd parity – if you send something to me with even parity, what do you expect?”

I sigh and send the packet of data again. Being the central processor of a computer etc....

----

lol... does this have the wow factor? or should i go along with the crazy gopher idea??
LOL. oh man thats hilarious.

even if it didn't get marked well, it'd get you points retelling that story at a party. (a lan party, that is...)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)