Accelerating Subjects after Switching Schools (1 Viewer)

Sethio

HSC
Quick Ques - Are you still eligible to accelerate subjects after switching schools? Primarily in terms of NESA requirements and whatnot. This is under the assumption that: 1. you have accelerated at your previous school -> so you have already completed the "my own work module" or whatever and also know the content and have your NESA number and everything sorted blah blah
2. your new school allows you to continue accelerating the subject

But is it possible from a logistics standpoint? I feel like it requires some major adjustments.

This arises cause say you are accelerating a subject and plan to sit in Year 11. And, then you did the selective transfer thingy for Year 11 (the last year you can do it), and then you are expected to sit (that accelerated subject HSC Exam) the year you entered the new school (Year 11). However, this was the whole premise for not being able to transfer into ANY NSW school into Year 12. Because, the subjects cannot be rearranged like that from school to school by NESA or whatever, wherein prelims/Year 11 doesn't really matter. So am I correct to assume that, you would be expected to drop that accel subject (or wait another year and sit it in Year 12) regardless of whether the new school agrees?

idek how to word this question. hope it makes sense ig. maybe somebody could decode this jargon and help me out. Thanks!

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
Quick Ques - Are you still eligible to accelerate subjects after switching schools? Primarily in terms of NESA requirements and whatnot. This is under the assumption that: 1. you have accelerated at your previous school -> so you have already completed the "my own work module" or whatever and also know the content and have your NESA number and everything sorted blah blah
2. your new school allows you to continue accelerating the subject

But is it possible from a logistics standpoint? I feel like it requires some major adjustments.

This arises cause say you are accelerating a subject and plan to sit in Year 11. And, then you did the selective transfer thingy for Year 11 (the last year you can do it), and then you are expected to sit (that accelerated subject HSC Exam) the year you entered the new school (Year 11). However, this was the whole premise for not being able to transfer into ANY NSW school into Year 12. Because, the subjects cannot be rearranged like that from school to school by NESA or whatever, wherein prelims/Year 11 doesn't really matter. So am I correct to assume that, you would be expected to drop that accel subject (or wait another year and sit it in Year 12) regardless of whether the new school agrees?

idek how to word this question. hope it makes sense ig. maybe somebody could decode this jargon and help me out. Thanks!
Yes you are, but of course it does depend on whether the classes can accommodate you (especially in subjects like maths). In my school, a few kids who transferred in Year 11 were allowed to continue the HSC year for the subjects they did prelim for in y10 (like sciences), a y11 kid who was accelerating chem came to my school in 2023 and was in my chem class (and I think that was the case for 1-2 kids who transferred in y11 in my grade also). I don't know how they adjusted for the fact that there's an assessment in term 4 following term 3 prelims so you'd have to ask the teachers of both your current and new school about that but they definitely did. I don't think you would be expected to drop the subject unless they cannot accommodate you at all which is usually a very small chance they can't

Sethio

HSC
sounds good. at least that's the case and it's just up to the school. i don't wanna hassle with NESA tbh so that's good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)