Accessing the JD at Melbourne. What is required? (1 Viewer)

Zinko

HSC
N/A
Although, I am aware that the selection for the JD is based on a number of components, including your written statement, I would appreciate anyone who could provide me with a rough idea of the university scores that one would need to achieve in their undergraduate degree to be seriously considered for entry into the course.

Also, will the university refer to your ENTER score in reaching a decision?

greentsquare

HSC
Well, I don't know about the JD but for most postgraduate courses (except engineering), you will have guaranteed entry for a CSP if you

• got a 99.9 (at least) ENTER score
  • studied a Melbourne Uni Undergrad course
  • got at least a H2A (75%) general average across the course
I'm not sure if this applies to JD as well (as there is the LSAT and personnal statement to be taken into consideration as well). But according to the UoM JD website, they will only look at your undergrad transcript - there was no mention of the ENTER. Bear in mind that in 2008, there were only 50 CSPs in JD offered, so it's bound to be competitive. I recommend that you go to one of the information sessions, there's one coming up in about 3 weeks at the Law School in Carlton. Details regarding bookings are here

There's also an online version here. However, it would probably be best to go to a non-online one, as you can actually ask questions to the people concerned in the running of that course.

Cheers.

Zinko

HSC
N/A
Thank you very much for the answer greensquare.

Joel8945

HSC
Well, I don't know about the JD but for most postgraduate courses (except engineering), you will have guaranteed entry for a CSP if you

• got a 99.9 (at least) ENTER score
  • studied a Melbourne Uni Undergrad course
  • got at least a H2A (75%) general average across the course
No these are mainly for medical degrees. e.g. a PhD in physics requires an Honours degree in physics whih itself requires good university marks. The Masters of Engineering degree requires an H3 at minimum of university marks. I have been told many times (with the masters of engineering) that ENTER really isn't that important.

With the JD you need to write a statement, have academic results (they actually have not stated what is required but I'd say flawless) and you need to do an LSAT.

Good luck with accessing the JD.

cottoneye

HSC
N/A
I do not know what the minimum requirements for entry are set, but I imagine that it is more dependent on the quality of the other applicants than an artificial minimum imposed by the university. I should imagine that plenty of well qualified candidates would seek admission every year.

Anecdotally, I have been accepted to study for the JD in 2010 as a CSP student with an H2A (in the humanities) average, mid-150s on the LSAT, and of course a personal statement.

Last edited:

MJ-47

HSC
just go down to the video store ...or what ever you call it. and rent one maybe two seasons of scrubs ....once you have watched them you will have had proper access to JD. :haha:

Silverste1n

Banned
HSC
just go down to the video store ...or what ever you call it. and rent one maybe two seasons of scrubs ....once you have watched them you will have had proper access to JD. :haha:
Hahaha, funny joke. I totally laughed.

BeeHee

HSC
It's a rather silly question but i was just wondering what general average means........does it mean a h2a across the board for every subject from each year or is it somehow combined. apologies if in wrong thread but thought i'd ask while the question was fresh in my mind. cheers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)