accommodation at Parramatta (1 Viewer)

jennypok

HSC
N/A
Does anybody know of any accommodation around Parramatta campus of UWS?
I am going there on exchange in February and I know they have no residence there. I'll need to rent something for 5 months. Any suggestions?

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Since theres no on campus accommodation at the Parramatta campus, you would probably need to rent something near by. Hmm ... the area around Parramatta campus can get pretty expensive. It depends how far away from the campus your looking to go. I wouldn't consider moving into Parramatta city itself - too businessey and too expensive. But then again, it really depends how much you can spend. I know where I live (about 15 mins by bus from parra campus) its about $170 a week to rent.

Edit: or alternatively you can look at another campus, which would be cheaper. The closest campus would probably be Blacktown.

Last edited:
L

LaraB

id have a look around at share accomodation...may nto be the most fun option...but it'll probably be the most cost effective..

maybe give the uni a call? coz there's always heapsa signs around for rooms to let and since you're comin on exchange and cant come and have a look at em for yourself you could explain that to the studentg call centre and maybe they could be of some help? :confused:

krisk85

Random
HSC
N/A
look at westmead.. cheap and close i think its about 130$ that is if you are renting alone, you could go cheaper if you split between mates...

btw wat uni are you in? i didnt think that uws had exchange connections in canada.. i would like to go to canada

L

LaraB

natstar said:
btw its not $150 a week.
u mean its more expensive?

coz that's what i thought...

someone said that renting in westemead area is about $130 a week? where the hell are these houses! i was thinking maybe close to $180 for a 1bed unit....

its not as cheap as people think for somewhere decent/hygienic...especially if you dont exacylt have agews to sit around and wait for the best offer

jennypok

HSC
N/A
Thank you all for your replies. Looks like it's gonna be hard to find something cheap. I guess I'll try to look for shared accommodation once i'm there. krisk85: you've mentioned westmead, where is that? Regarding my uni, I go to York University. It's in Toronto. They have tons of on-campus housing if you come for exchange :)

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Something cheap in Sydney ... good luck :p

Anyway, you should first check out living on campus at Blacktown - its close to transport and very easy to get to the parramatta campus. Its sometimes hard to find a place to rent in some areas. I'd assume you would want to be close to public transport as well?

L

LaraB

jennypok said:
Thank you all for your replies. Looks like it's gonna be hard to find something cheap. I guess I'll try to look for shared accommodation once i'm there. krisk85: you've mentioned westmead, where is that? Regarding my uni, I go to York University. It's in Toronto. They have tons of on-campus housing if you come for exchange :)
westmead is a 1 minute train ride from parramatta train station, which is a 5/10 minute bus trip to the uni

probably a littl emor eif you drive coz of traffic

uni accomodation, even if its anotehr campus sounds like a good idea coz i dunno..if i was in ur position, i wouldnt wanna be travelling to another country to settin up home somewher ei dont know with no one around to help out..

uni people are cool n friendly so i reckon they'd be a big help in how to get around and all the admin stuff and just for people to talk to:)

klh

HSC
well i foyur exchaning with some of your freinds, you can maybe share with them instead of some stranger? i know like a student who is sharing with 4 girls he knows from prior study with them. seems like a dream...
anyway, if oyu go to see the billboards at uws there is tons of signs asking for share accomodation. there are some student hospices (the right word?) up at sydney e.g. backpackers and stuff if you need temp. accomodation.
penrith maybe another option, on campus that is, if blacktown runs out or campbelltown as a last resory for on campus accom.
all i can say is do a search in google aus site and it should come up with lots of stuff.

L

LaraB

natstar said:
I pay $104 a week. Tho im upgrading and moving into a cottage (im in a villa now) which is $109 a week. utilities included
from what friends said it sounded more expensive..

i spose food n transport would be the main cost each week, esp if you aint at the campus u attend...

krisk85

Random
HSC
N/A
130$ is like 1bdr room, and more edge of westmead/ wentworthville..

also.. westmead is walking distance from para station.. (well my house is) i jus walk over the park takes less than 10mins form my house to parramatta station, and jus about 7 to westfield bus stations..

2 bdroom is about 280 i think.. for a place like mine with pool and is newish.. under 7years.. and garage and clean.. not house tho, apartment..

krisk85

Random
HSC
N/A
natstar u know any from montreal? that is where i would really like to go.. i wouldnt even need to rent there i have family there and lots of school mates who live there now and study :D

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
jennypok said:
Does anybody know of any accommodation around Parramatta campus of UWS?
I am going there on exchange in February and I know they have no residence there. I'll need to rent something for 5 months. Any suggestions?
As im sure ppl have already said there is no accomodation at the uni, so try looking at the notice boards, there is suppossed to be a site with this stuff on it maybe u seniors know it

UWS said:
Parramatta Campus
UWS Residential Colleges do not offer accommodation at the Parramatta Campus. However permanent or temporary accommodation is available at Blacktown Campus, which is between 45 and 55 minutes from the Parramatta Campus.
Blacktown Campus – 167 rooms, all applications accommodated
Units (4 share) single room $84
Units (3 share) single room $89
Villas single room $104
Cottages single room $109
Try these sites: www.housing.nsw.gov.au/ , www.housing.nsw.gov.au/phop/res0010a.htm , realestate.com, domain, Australian Explorer, Your Realestate

Last edited:

jennypok

HSC
N/A
You guys are great, thanks for all the info. I've been checking some of the websites you suggested, seems like I could get smth shared for 100-130 in the area. Besides, I'm sure tons of ppl will be looking for the same thing there :p
Does any of you go to Parramatta? If yes, then how is it compared to Blacktown?

krisk85

Random
HSC
N/A
i dont know about the uni, but i can comment on the areas.. and parramatta is nice it is like another city in sydney.. it is sort of a surbubia city lol.. it is clean and the surrounding surburbs are clean too.. it is quite alive

i dont know much about blacktown, however if i had to choose between the two and i got the same house etc i would pick parramata.. it is closer to everything

klh

HSC
its urban..not some small country bumpkin town. modern, close to a river so its really nice to go there and relax on the weekends, lots of shops, cafes, couple of clubs etc. s smaller version of a big city, kept the good stuff.

why so many canadians coming over here?
anyway, australia also has a town called toronto...just extra little peice of trivial infor.

L

LaraB

jennypok said:
You guys are great, thanks for all the info. I've been checking some of the websites you suggested, seems like I could get smth shared for 100-130 in the area. Besides, I'm sure tons of ppl will be looking for the same thing there :p
Does any of you go to Parramatta? If yes, then how is it compared to Blacktown?
depends on where you're looking at in blacktown...

someone said parra's like another city? um...so is blacktown hence the name Blacktown City Council etc..

parra is closer to the city and stuff, but blacktown (city not the more suburban parts) is only about 15/20 minutes from parramatta.

I live in Blacktown council area and its same as parra as far as if you dont live in the um...less appealing shall i say... areas, housing is nice, plenty of parks around, blacktown's good i think coz there's less 'city traffic' n stuff both have big shopping centres, both have plenty of restaurant, tale aways,cafes etc, both have big libraries, i mean... there isnt really that much difference for a uni student....

both have plenty of places you can get casual work, if that's relevant, at food or retail places or offices etc..

far as the uni, i havent been to blacktown campus apart from to go the library and stuff and student centre but im at parra. Campus is realtively small compared to othe runis, but its good coz you have less distance to walk:) library's good, staff are all helpful, the range of courses available at parra seems larger than blacktown n penrith so maybe that's somethin 2 consider. blacktown's admin people seem nicer than the parra ones to me... but at the same time, there's less of them so is just as slow.

got a bar, cafe and all that stuff. plenty of friendly people, plenty of sports n other stuff organised, easy to get to - you can drive, altho parking's a bitch atm.. but if you got public transport - buses to/from parra station come every 10/15 minutes, trains to/from blacktown stn from parra station come about that often too.

L

LaraB

klh said:
its urban..not some small country bumpkin town. modern, close to a river so its really nice to go there and relax on the weekends, lots of shops, cafes, couple of clubs etc. s smaller version of a big city, kept the good stuff.

why so many canadians coming over here?
anyway, australia also has a town called toronto...just extra little peice of trivial infor.
from what my canadian frenz say, the uni's here are kinda similar to there so i guess it would be a good place to go on exchange.

lotsa aussies go to montreal too

krisk85

Random
HSC
N/A
and newcastle in london.. the possibilities are ENDLESS!! :D

back on track.. from what i have seen of blacktown tho.. i would prefer parramatta.. + parramatta seems a little bit more central.. with auburn granville etc..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)