Accomodation Advice? (1 Viewer)

Jarsh89

HSC
Hey, Im in year 12 now at Sydney and am looking to do Actuarial Studies at ANU in '08. I was wondering what Accomodation choice would be best for me and how to go about getting it. I'm pretty social, love partying, meeting new people and drinking etc but I'm probably not up for any religious shizzle if thats what the colleges are about? Money is probably pretty important so Im looking at self-catered and I prefer the freedom anyway.
It seems that Fenner is pretty out of the action, or is that just a myth? Also is it first in best dressed with accom at ANU, applications start on the 25th of this month I think, should I apply as soon as I can or does it not really make a difference?
Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

humphdogg

HSC
Uni Grad
each college has their own stereotype, it must be said. but if you're looking to have a social life, then generally speaking self-catered isn't for you. definitely don't try fenner, for one. B&G is self-catered and is okay, i guess.

as for catered colleges - well, i'm not so sure that there's all that much difference. johns have the reputation for hardcore partiers but i doubt that there's a whole lot of difference in that respect to burgmann and bruce. ursies? well, the less said the better.
oh, and i don't think religion really comes into it at all, it's not really relevant imo.

Evilo

HSC
They are all good fun, im at johns and its been so much fun. I'm staying here next year.
Any questions - send them through.

*emi*

HSC
hey i'm just looking into all the accomodation now - thinking B&G because it would be a lot cheaper to go self-catered. Just wondering the main differences on campus between burgmann, johns and bruce? i'm looking for somewhere that i'm going to have some fun, but i still want to work. and also DECENT FOOD... been at boarding school and the food is pretty bad so how is it there?

thanks

humphdogg

HSC
Uni Grad
i'm at bruce, and they pride themselves on having the best food of the self-catered colleges... that must be a pretty damning report on the other colleges then, because the food at bruce isn't brilliant, though definitely passable.
as for differences between burgmann, bruce and johns - well, there isn't a lot, it's mainly that they all have their own stereotypes, so essentially you should go to the college that you think you'd fit into best.

Evilo

HSC
im at johns and i'd talk up Bruce and Johns over Burghmann - come down here for tours of both if you can. Both places will organise tours for you to come around our colleges lead by a student. Definatly worth it.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
LOL. I'm not defending Ursies... because I don't really want to... but Ursies had the best catering long before Bruce. It was Bruce who recently hired the same company as Ursies. At the very least, the food is equivalent... which isn't saying much unfortunately. Fucking college food.

Just don't go to Burgmann.

Evilo

HSC
Slidey said:
LOL. I'm not defending Ursies... because I don't really want to...
lol!

yep good food and very clean toilets - but limited social life.

blacksunset

HSC
I'm from Melbourne and am looking at going to ANU next year as my boyfriend shall be at ADFA for the airforce..
I can't afford to go catered, and so I was wondering which place is the best self-catered place to go ??
Lots of advice would be fabulous and I am still unsure !!
Thanks
Em x

Evilo

HSC
a few choices
**B&G, Fenner, and UniLodge**

Unilodge is *very* expensive so that probably crosses that off.

B&G is on campus, where Fenner is off (~15min walk to ANU).
Fenner would be quite close to the bus terminal to go see your bf @ adfa (look on map). B&G would be a little bit more of a walk, but i do that usually once a day anyway (im at johns). Both will argue they have a good social life, the only thing is B&G is surrounded by all the other halls, and they get more involved in college events (especially sporting). Either one would do well. I strongly suggest you come down here if possible and check out both. I couldn't but it would give you an idea about what your going to experience. Both places will have tours for you and your family as you've missed one of the open days.
You must apply now though - go onto ANU website and apply!
Regards EvilO

blacksunset

HSC
Thanks for that - I will probably have to go up and have a look around..
I will have a car with me, so I guess I could do some driving around to adfa as well..
the only other thing is that my boyfriend intends on crashing with me quite a bit - and some places apparently charge for that... is there anywhere that would allow him to come crash on weekends and the occasional week night or something ??
Thanks
Em
x

Evilo

HSC
I'll be honest with you, i don't actually know. I messaged someone who lives in fenner and they didn't think so.

"Don't think there was any charge.
They'll get narky if the guest stays more than 10 or so days, though"
The other thing is theres probably a good chance that he will spoon in your bed anyway? I mean thats what i would do if there was a charge.

All i know is ursies charges after the first night - but that won't apply. If they do charge for a roller bed i'm sure you'll invest in an inflatable matress, or your "army tough" bf will sleep on the floor ;)

As i say "what they don't know, won't hurt them" ;)

Remember it's uni - not mums house. They don't come and see if you've got freeloaders in your room at 9am ;)

I asked a B&G guy and yes they charge for an extra matress there.

Catcha
EvilO

Last edited:

blacksunset

HSC
lol, he's gonna be an airforce pilot.. not army haha :)
but well i emailed both b&g hall and the accomodation in general - and it seems i got two different answers.
accomodation in general said no flat out because its a single room - although i havent got a reply from b&g yet, but i had a look in the handbook and it said i can have a guest as long as i ask..
otherwise - what they dont know wont hurt them seems to be the way to go - although it worries me a tad.. does it actually sound like it might work?
only worry is them terminating my stay there and im like ugh well.. i live in melbourne - what am i meant to do ?! lol

he wouldnt be staying for more than 10 days straight lol
but yeah - anyone had an experience with that? just bnecause i cant afford something off campus.. and i would def be going for b&g - so anyone whos in there, or knows of anyone there, have any idea?

thanks for alll the help so far guys
keep it coming :)
Luv Em xx

Venusian

HSC
I wouldnt worry about your bf staying over, i've lived at johns and no one notices unless they want to be fed in the dining hall (tho a friend of my had her BF stay for a few weeks and she just snuck food out for him)
Actually if he's gonna stay alot id go to johns cos they have KING single beds so two in one bed is doable - im not sure if the others still only have normal singles (i know unilodge does)

blacksunset

HSC
Ah thats awesome.
I put in my preferences...
B&G first
Fenner second
Bruce third
Ursula fourth
I think..
I also mentioned I probably wouldnt be able to go catered - so I'm hoping I'll get B&G - what is the likelihood of getting first preference for someone like me who is from Melbourne?
x

hoschke

HSC
Im at B&G and haven't had any guests myself but I know lots of people that have had guests for up to 2 weeks and I don't think any of them paid extra. Perhaps you're supposed to pay but there's no way they'd ever know - and they're a bit on what the rules are anyway. There used to be a spare matress around but I haven't seen that in a while.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)