Accounting Cadetship Night - 21st of May, THIS THURSDAY! (1 Viewer)

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
they have hairy green blazers
lol its probably material they made themselves since its an agricultural school... the prefects even have 'prefect' printed onto it...

btw, I didnt see you and hot gf lol...

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
lol i saw a lot of JR people.. and alot of parents who kept bumping into me and knocking me over, then interrupting my conversation :S *shrugs* maybe i look like a piece of furniture lols.

anyway it was nice talking to alot of the guys... who knows, maybe i even spoke to some of u guys :)

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
lol i saw a lot of JR people.. and alot of parents who kept bumping into me and knocking me over, then interrupting my conversation :S *shrugs* maybe i look like a piece of furniture lols.

anyway it was nice talking to alot of the guys... who knows, maybe i even spoke to some of u guys :)
which company were you with??
I think I talked to pretty much all the companies/uni's, but I may have missed a few...

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
im guessing he was david kim or something, of F&H , the one with the strong asian presence

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
OMFG
I freaking hate james ruse now... I was at the unsw co-op stand thingy and I just started to talk to the guy there, then all of a sudden some freaking james ruse chick came behind me and then the guy literally pushed me aside and started talking to her half way through our convo ==''

btw, did anyone notice that there were like atleast 50 james ruse people there??? my friends were like wtf?!?!?!
well, maybe about 10-15 i think because many other schools wear green blazer too which resemble ruses'

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
haha yeah. best thing was seeing this asian bloke just standing there resentfully as his father (who was dressed in an expensive suit) spent about 20 minutes talking to the PwC guy.

parental pressure ftw.

anyone talk to ferrier hodgson? forensic accounting sounds totally badass.

s2Vicki

[untitled]
HSC

that happened to me too. my friend and i were talking to a rep from F&H and then this girl butts in and takes the rep's attention. my and friend i were looking at other going 'what the hell?' some poeple are so rude...

and what was with F&H advertising that they had a strong asian presence?
how's that a good thing unless you are asian?
i'm asian and i was wondering why they advertised that.

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
I didn't particulary like any of the Big 4 firms, although, did anyone get the KPMG freebie (the blue bag/purse)? It has cool stickies in there :D
YES!!! I got that freebie, it was the best one out of all of them imo, but the playing cards from ernst & young were useful as well :)

lol I also got that spongy box thingy from ferrier hodgson :) but I dont know what do with it...

oh, and that name tag thingy from PwC is really cool :)

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
Did you get the torch as well? 3 batteries :D Ohh .. i'm too scared to open my playing cards! I don't want to ruin them.
There was a torch?!?!?!?! dam, I knew I missed something cool :(
hehe, they're good quality cards, I was playing with them at school today :)
btw, did you get that mini spongy soccer ball thingy from Moore Stephens?? I had to talk to the guy for like 10mins just to get it ==''

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
It was an awesome night. One guy from my school in shorts, thongs and really-really-casual clothing was soo good when it came to asking questions. He started with "Darling" or "Hey mate" and OMG, he was just soo good. So with that guy's natural social skill and my school captain's awesomness, we managed to talk to each of big 4's recruiter/manager/recruiter for like 10-15 minutes each. We basically threw all the Application form questions.

Excellent night I must say.

About my own interest, I am only really interested in Big 4 because of my ambitious goals, lol (preferably PwC and KPMG..may be E&Y)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
In my opinion, I think the Big 4 is very overrated. Yes they are good for expanding your career and really kick starting it, but I think if you're a uni student, particularly studying what you want to study Namu, I think you should stick to a mid-tier firm. Too many people are stuck up about being in the Big 4. Speaking to a few cadets in the Big 4, they do agree that the Big 4 is overrated.

I asked a few of the Big 4 representatives about flexibility in their firms, and most of them talked about being able to attend night classes. Although that might not sound too bad now, just talking to a lot of my cadet friends who work in the Big 4, they find that they become very tired and cannot concentrate after work then studying. In addition to that, uni is often said as being like "doing two hscs in one year". On top of that, you're just fresh out of high school, shouldn't you be enjoying Uni life, freedom and youth?

Big 4 is too much of a stress for 18/19 year olds in my belief.
I have myself considered that issue. However, as I already mentioned, I did spend nearly 15 minutes each for rep from each big 4. They have highlighted the flexibility of their programs and etc. I have not just talked to recruiters but also to each cadet as well. My friends were worried that they will not be able to have their usual party days but those cadets were excellent in clarifying such issues.

Whether Big 4 is overrated or not, they seem to be my places. There is absolutely no denying that BIG 4 provide more opportunities for travelling, expansion, more variety in terms of employment type, promotion, benefits and etc.

I think this feeling of confinement comes from being in a small private environment. I have been too stuck in my small private school that I really want to expand into the largest firm if it is possible. I always felt that I couldn't expand further beyond the opportunities they provided me.

Besides programs from Big 4 and mid-tier firms are essentially same if not very similar. Then why not go for a big one?

You are right btw, Uni is like 2 HSCs, even from my own experience with Cosmology. But so what? HSC isn't hard. 2 HSCs is certainly not hard with nearly 4 months holiday and less attendance measure. I am juggling between my uni and HSC study too this year and I am doing fine. I reckon part time uni would be 1 HSC maybe if not less. In addition to that, I wouldn't mind busy life because that's what I always have anyway.

As Seremify said, Cadetship is a FULL employment regardless of where you go. If you think mid-tier is more lenient and requires less participation, think again. I can bet that it's basically same wherever you go.

I personally reckon you can still enjoy Uni life, freedom and youth to the maximum if you juggle both work and study appropriatlely. You might even feel more satisfied and accomplished if you do succeed in both. 2 years of juggling is all it takes...

Last edited:

jenecis

HSC
That was a year ago for me...wow, I feel so old.

Anyway, just want you guys to know that such accounting cadetships, including the Big 4, are not that hard to get into so thumbs up!

I remember leaving that night feeling very disheartened, thinking that I'll not get any offers ... and merely a few months later, I got offers for all the firms I applied to.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
That was a year ago for me...wow, I feel so old.

Anyway, just want you guys to know that such accounting cadetships, including the Big 4, are not that hard to get into so thumbs up!

I remember leaving that night feeling very disheartened, thinking that I'll not get any offers ... and merely a few months later, I got offers for all the firms I applied to.
In that case, you have certainly underestimated yourself :rofl:

jenecis

HSC
I personally reckon you can still enjoy Uni life, freedom and youth to the maximum if you juggle both work and study appropriatlely. You might even feel more satisfied and accomplished if you do succeed in both. 2 years of juggling is all it takes...
That is the theory. The reality may be far less glorious than what you assumed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)