Accounting cadetship with actuarial studies (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hey guys I'm currently in year 12 and have been looking at places for Accoutning Cadetships (for CAs). I wasn't really considering doing accounting but doing a cadetship would be great. I was also interested in doing actuarial studies so i'd do a double major. Is that possible to do with a cadetship (perhaps because actuarial can't be done part time or something) and also would it be too difiicult because time would be lost.

fitz33

HSC
you should try for actuarial coop
its like a cadetship but better...lets you come out of uni with 15months work experience and your part 2's + $13400 p.a.

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
underthebridge said:
Hey guys I'm currently in year 12 and have been looking at places for Accoutning Cadetships (for CAs). I wasn't really considering doing accounting but doing a cadetship would be great. I was also interested in doing actuarial studies so i'd do a double major. Is that possible to do with a cadetship (perhaps because actuarial can't be done part time or something) and also would it be too difiicult because time would be lost.
Accounting and Actuarial double major with accreditation in both areas and done on cadetship is very, very hectic. Not an excellent idea. Unless you're really intelligent, well organised and prepared to work very hard, it will be a real struggle to complete.

theone123

blue essence
HSC
mr_shittles said:
Accounting and Actuarial double major with accreditation in both areas and done on cadetship is very, very hectic. Not an excellent idea. Unless you're really intelligent, well organised and prepared to work very hard, it will be a real struggle to complete.
who said there isnt't high flyers? ;)

HSC
yeh i will be applying for the co-op for actuarial, but I'd say it'd be pretty difficult to get but thx for the advice.

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
underthebridge said:
yeh i will be applying for the co-op for actuarial, but I'd say it'd be pretty difficult to get but thx for the advice.
you're applying for actuary! why not Accounting and Finance (I might see you next year then)?

it really depends on how much you love maths (and actuaries just love maths, esp 4U). I couldn't hack doing 4U in high school so I steered well clear (wise decision I later found out)

but if maths is your thing . . . you'l absolutely love actuary

and good luck in applying at UNSW!!!

HSC
yeh i will be applying for finance and accoutning as well. Yeh i'm into the 4u maths. So you're a co-op yourself? Could you perhaps give me any advice on how to better my chances of getting a co-op scholarship? I've heard that hundreds actually apply for the actuarial co-op.

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
underthebridge said:
yeh i will be applying for finance and accoutning as well. Yeh i'm into the 4u maths. So you're a co-op yourself? Could you perhaps give me any advice on how to better my chances of getting a co-op scholarship? I've heard that hundreds actually apply for the actuarial co-op.
I'm accounting so I wouln't be too aware of what actuary is like (but I'm guessing up until the interview stage it doesn't make much of a diff).

You'll get an application form asking you all these random Qs about what you've done, why you're applying, what positive qualities you have, what you major weaknesses are etc. They look for well-crafted answers to these Qs, basically answers which show a bit of creativity (dont go overboard) and demonstrate that you've thought about the Question carefully.

The order in which you place your preferences does have an impact on who wants you. For example, if you put actuary 1 and accounting 2, and someone else did it vice-versa, you'd have a better chance in actuary and they in acctg (sounds obvious really). So if you want to be seriously considered for a particular Co-op, put it No. 1.

After sorting through applications, the Co-op office will do a cull of what they like and what they dont.

Then its off to interview stage, where one academic and industry sponsor (usually an employee or HR rep from the company) will ask you a set of questions. They are interested as much in your personality as they are in your answers to your questions. So be yourself and you'll do just fine.

The rest of it comes down to luck (whether they liked you or not, the quality of the other candidates, etc.). And that's about it.

HSC
Ah Ok thanks. Do they take academic achievement into much consideration, I imagine they would since they ask you to include your reports, i'm just wondering how much.

I've also heard that your uni preferences may be taken into consideration, although this is perhaps just a rumour considering that apparently they don't look at your preferences. I'm just concerned that having macquarie as a number one preference will lessen my chances of getting co-op. (although at this stage i'll probly have unsw as number one anyway).

Since you are an accounting co-op, u are elligble to become a chartered accountant right? Since i think you're required to do a cadetship or such to become a CA, so a co-operative scholarship would be as good as doing (if not better than) a cadetship in accounting. (I'm willing to accept either finance, accounting or actuarial co-op, however actuarial is first pref, finance second)

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
underthebridge said:
Ah Ok thanks. Do they take academic achievement into much consideration, I imagine they would since they ask you to include your reports, i'm just wondering how much.

I've also heard that your uni preferences may be taken into consideration, although this is perhaps just a rumour considering that apparently they don't look at your preferences. I'm just concerned that having macquarie as a number one preference will lessen my chances of getting co-op. (although at this stage i'll probly have unsw as number one anyway).

Since you are an accounting co-op, u are elligble to become a chartered accountant right? Since i think you're required to do a cadetship or such to become a CA, so a co-operative scholarship would be as good as doing (if not better than) a cadetship in accounting. (I'm willing to accept either finance, accounting or actuarial co-op, however actuarial is first pref, finance second)
Yeah, they do consider academic acheivement, but as long as they think you'll get over 95 there is not much of an issue. So there's not much difference between someone who gets 99 and someone who gets 96.

I'm not sure of whether they take your preferences into consideration, but even if they do, preferences are meaningless since you can change them after you get your results.

Accounting Co-ops no longer need to do CA or CPA accredited courses (so long as you complete the Accounting major there's no problem). However, all of us do it because it provides us with the professional accreditation.

Co-op is similar to a cadetship, but you get to go to three different companies and experience completely different areas. Sponsoring my year, there are three consumer goods companies (Arnott's, Canon, Coke), three financial services companies (Promina, Zurich, Westpac), three accounting firms (Deloitte, KPMG, PwC), three spots sponsored by Telstra (Retail Services, Corporate Office, Payphones) and a place with the NSW Treasury. Nobody works in the same industry twice (because then you don't get the benefit of diff experiences) and the work is always interesting.

If you are really keen on Commere, then UNSW is probably the best place to go. They got the best school for Banking and Finance, Economics (ANU is also good) and Accounting (by far). If you're really keen on actuary, then Macq is pretty good because the reputation is good. But it not really a massive difference between us and Macq. in actuary.

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
mr_shittles said:
But it not really a massive difference between us and Macq. in actuary.
I know 3 friends of mine who went to complete part II after graduation at macq rather than stay at unsw.

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
Grizzly said:
I know 3 friends of mine who went to complete part II after graduation at macq rather than stay at unsw.
Up to the individual isn't it?

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
Grizzly said:
Thats true, but what motivates them switch?
Lots of things . . . it's a matter of perception.

When I meet my friends from UTS, they tell me how goodBBus is and how its the most practical course . . . etc. etc. My friends from Macq tell me how they are number one in Asia for Actuary and Finance, well recognised in all these countries . . . etc. etc. One person hears from another, different people quote different surveys etc. Now, even though I've been told of how good UTS is and how good Macq is . . . I'm not switching.

I like things here at UNSW so I'll stay. Some ppl want a change because they dont like it where they are, or they think its better to go elswhere. The assumption is that everyone is making an informed decision in wha they are doing.

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
mr_shittles said:
Lots of things . . . it's a matter of perception.

When I meet my friends from UTS, they tell me how goodBBus is and how its the most practical course . . . etc. etc. My friends from Macq tell me how they are number one in Asia for Actuary and Finance, well recognised in all these countries . . . etc. etc. One person hears from another, different people quote different surveys etc. Now, even though I've been told of how good UTS is and how good Macq is . . . I'm not switching.

I like things here at UNSW so I'll stay. Some ppl want a change because they dont like it where they are, or they think its better to go elswhere. The assumption is that everyone is making an informed decision in wha they are doing.
I'm not suggesting you should move away from UNSW.

Of course, everyone is making an informed decision where they wish to study, in particular, part II of actuary. (I made mine when i came over from macq)

But you can't base "not much difference between us and macq. in actuary" on *your* personal perceptions, regardless of which way your favour sways. There's other things to compare than a person's "utility" in determining difference.

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
Grizzly said:
I'm not suggesting you should move away from UNSW.

Of course, everyone is making an informed decision where they wish to study, in particular, part II of actuary. (I made mine when i came over from macq)

But you can't base "not much difference between us and macq. in actuary" on *your* personal perceptions, regardless of which way your favour sways. There's other things to compare than a person's "utility" in determining difference.
That's true Grizzly . . . I think I'm just a tad bised though (dont you agree?)

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
mr_shittles said:
That's true Grizzly . . . I think I'm just a tad bised though (dont you agree?)
Well, i think every uni student is biased towards there uni - why else would they be there if not ;)

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
i tried to do accounting cadetship, got accepted, when they found out i did actuarial / finance @ mq, they said i wasn't applicable anymore =p

i think if u go unsw u have to do accounting along with actuarial in ur majors for u to do a cadetship (i still don't understand why people would double major in acst and accounting, when u graduate wat are u guna be? accountant or actuary? don't htink they compliment eachother as well as something like acst and finance)

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
:: ryan.cck :: said:
i tried to do accounting cadetship, got accepted, when they found out i did actuarial / finance @ mq, they said i wasn't applicable anymore =p

i think if u go unsw u have to do accounting along with actuarial in ur majors for u to do a cadetship (i still don't understand why people would double major in acst and accounting, when u graduate wat are u guna be? accountant or actuary? don't htink they compliment eachother as well as something like acst and finance)
Yeah Actuary and Acct are not very complimentary subjects withing the Commerce/Business umbrella. And obviously, if a firm gives you a cadetsip with an eye to training you in accounting, they'd be a bit dissapointed if they knew u weren't studyin acctg.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)