Accounting or Finance? (1 Viewer)

Raix

HSC
Okay so I'm going to be doing Computer Science/Commerce at UWA this year. I'm all good for the Computer Science part but I'm unsure about what I should major in for Commerce. I decided on Accounting, as it was a broader major but then I read that I wouldn't be eligible for a professional qualification if I did because it's a combined course. So, is it worth it for me to do it despite this?
If not, I might settle on Finance (Corporate).

I'm going to call up the Uni and ask about it tomorrow but I just wanted some opinions here.

I'm also considering dropping Commerce altogether and doing a double major or moving into Arts.

Last edited:

rx34

HSC
Hey even if you did do a combined degree, you would still be eligible for the professional qualification as long as you do all the courses required for the CPA/CA certification. As long as you follow the Commerce(Accounting) major in UWA, you would be able to go down the CA/CPA path route when you graduate.

I personally love finance but i'm going to stick with accounting just to be safe.

Raix

HSC
Well when I was reading the info about approved majors for the combined course, under Financial and Managerial Accounting it said "Please note: students will not be eligible for a professional qualification in accounting by completing this major)"
But I'm not sure if it means I'd never be eligible or what. ahahha

blerkles

HSC
N/A
Check out the degree requirements for CPA/CA/NIA. Having an accounting major can still get you an accounting job (heck having an Advanced Diploma from TAFE can still get you in the door), but many employers are super keen on CPA/CA status so you really should check what is required for those programs. Your double degree course might not allow for the subjects required below... if you have room for electives, I would recommend you use them to make up the remainder.

UWA's Com/Law one is accredited with CPA so it is possible to do it with a double degree but I guess the Law subjects below go into both categories there. http://www.cpacareers.com.au/apps/accreditedcourses/ShowResults.aspx

CPA Required Subjects
Core curriculum in Accounting and Business related areas Subjects
Accounting Systems and Processes ACCT1101 Financial Accounting
Management Accounting ACCT1112 Management Accounting
Financial Accounting The following subjects: , ACCT2201 Introduction to Corporate Accounting , ACCT3302 Financial Statement Analysis OR FINA2207 Business Valuation and Analysis
Accounting Theory ACCT3321 Financial Accounting: Theory and Practice
Finance FINA2221 Introduction to Finance
Information Systems Design & Development ACCT2242 Accounting Information Systems
Commercial Law LAWS1104 Introduction to Law OR LAWS1101 Contract I AND LAWS1102 Contract II AND LAWS1130 Legal Process
Economics ECON1101 Microeconomics: Prices and Markets
Quantitative Methods STAT1520 Economics and Business Statistics
Corporations Law LAWS3301 Company Law OR LAWS3322 Corporations Law
Taxation # ACCT3331 Taxation OR LAWS3362 Income Tax Law
Auditing # ACCT3322 Auditing

(you can do Tax and Auditing in the CPA postgrad bit if it isn't in your undergrad)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)