Accounting - question (1 Viewer)

workerdude85

HSC
N/A
Okay, so i am considering accounting and will be doing a diploma/advanced diploma... i feel this is where my future is or financial planning.

i did hsc in 2003, and only did general maths with a poor band 4 i never really studied except crammed for last 3 days and didnt do any homework so i guess i could of done much better. i never really enjoyed maths, but i did like managing money.

so my question is, does accounting require difficult maths? what is the pre-requiste(sp?), and in terms of english essay writing.

what is required for a person to achieve good marks in uni? what are some things a person requires? how are marks graded, is it through exams or is it mostly assignments? which uni do you recommend? my first preference is UTS otherwise UWS.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
As I don't attend UTS or UWS I can't really comment on how their courses work but at least in my experience with B Comm at UNSW, for first year at least, the work is very theoretical and it depends on your major. Accounting has close to zero maths except for a few very basic formulae (which don't even use letters for variables- they tend to use words like Profit or Cost). If anything, finance is the subject which has quite a few formula to remember but with a calculator and some basic algebra (to figure out which bits to calculate first and 'shortcuts' or 'alternatives'), it isn't too difficult. There is a much stronger emphasis on understanding, and thus, being able to answer questions which require you to think a lot about the concepts and application rather than just memorising and calculating formula- after all, any monkey can substitute numbers into a formula and type it into a calculator.

HSC
N/A
In third year units like for UWS Financial Accounting Issues, you need to do interest rate swaps and other finance issues, which can be difficult when they dont give you the forumlae

Monstar

HSC
I'm doing first year AppFin/Bcomm-accounting at macquarie... and the actual maths in Finance isnt that hard, rather the application and the thinking behind the maths is rather difficult (for me anyway). Accounting for me right now is sorta crap, just learning all the basic rules and applying it to scenarios. I've been a bit of a lazy cunt, but i reckon if you keep at it it should come with relative ease.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)