• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Accounting Skills Q (1 Viewer)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
To get partner... isn't that easy LOL.

As for urbandictionary- look up names of any Big4 or corporation and see what it says. It does make you wonder what sad person out there went and submitted it.

On a sidenote, the salaries for audit aren't really that high (it all depends on firm, performance, etc...)- but they're definitely decent compared. to some of the other jobs a young grad might end up with. Remember that auditing requires very ethical people, and you don't attract ethics/morals with peanuts.

AppleXY

s00 l33t xD
HSC
Uni Grad
yea.. those peps r fkd in the head. (ud)

I thought wrong, I thought auditors would get a high salary with at least 10 yrs experience (like <$120K). The partner's salary is some awesome stuff! 700k wot a beauty! They must work a fuk alot to get that salary, eh? But on the note of an average auditor, wots the av. salary? (above grad exp, i guess 5-10yrs?)

Thanks guys!

And oh yea, my middle name is ethical. I feel real bad stealing a lollypop even lol :p

Last edited:

turtleface

HSC
bahahahaha urban dictionary is hilarious
PwC: Pricks With Calculators
lol where do those guys pull that shit out of lol
---
Applexy:

From what I've seen with salary surveys heres my opinion of audit (big 4)

grad: 43-46
senior1 (1yr experience): 50-60 +bonus if applicable
senior2 (2 yr exp): 60-70 +bonus if applicable
assistant Manager (3.5 yrs-4 exp): 75-85 +bonus if applicable
manager (at least 5 yrs+ experience): 85-125 +bonus if applicable
senior manager (at least 6 years+ experience): 120-160 +bonus if applicable
director/principal (dunno): (~around 200K+ +bonus if applicable) if position exists at the firm
staff partner (usually at least 8 years+): mid six figure+
equity partner (usually at least 10 years): high six figure - seven figure+ (including profit share)

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
turtleface said:
bahahahaha urban dictionary is hilarious

lol where do those guys pull that shit out of lol
---
Applexy:

From what I've seen with salary surveys heres my opinion of audit (big 4)

grad: 43-46
senior1 (1yr experience): 50-60 +bonus if applicable
senior2 (2 yr exp): 60-70 +bonus if applicable
assistant Manager (3.5 yrs-4 exp): 75-85 +bonus if applicable
manager (at least 5 yrs+ experience): 85-125 +bonus if applicable
senior manager (at least 6 years+ experience): 120-160 +bonus if applicable
director/principal (dunno): (~around 200K+ +bonus if applicable) if position exists at the firm
staff partner (usually at least 8 years+): mid six figure+
equity partner (usually at least 10 years): high six figure - seven figure+ (including profit share)
Just a quick question, with senior1, is that 1 yr experience as a grad or 1 yr experience as a senior (post CA)?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Senior should be much higher IMO.... there are quite a few surveys out there so go have a look around or even search BoS forums.

And I'm interpretting that as 1 year as a senior, but that figure seems a bit "low".

AppleXY said:
yea.. those peps r fkd in the head. (ud)

I thought wrong, I thought auditors would get a high salary with at least 10 yrs experience (like <$120K). The partner's salary is some awesome stuff! 700k wot a beauty! They must work a fuk alot to get that salary, eh? But on the note of an average auditor, wots the av. salary? (above grad exp, i guess 5-10yrs?)

Thanks guys!

And oh yea, my middle name is ethical. I feel real bad stealing a lollypop even lol :p
Did you mean <$120k or >$120k?

AppleXY

s00 l33t xD
HSC
Uni Grad
i mean lol greater than my mistake. *embrassed* (and i do math methods, dissapointing :p)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
LOL well hypothetically, 10 years experience post-uni... I'd say one would've finished CA and be at least (a very high up) Manager. Most would probably either be Snr Manager or Director- with the rest of them leaving the professional services firm to pursue the private sector.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
AppleXY said:
Everywhere you see in relation to career information and even in job adverts, Accountants require "Good Communicative Skills". But what exactly does that mean? lol. Does it refer to Public Speaking? Able to read and write english *well duh* lol, Able to make strong relationships?
I don't think I've replied yet. Anyways, I suppose you just need to be able to communicate properly, both verbally and written. You don't need to be a great public speaker, just someone who can talk properly and make sense. You'll see that in pretty much all jobs, not just accounting. With auditing, you'll talk to a clients a lot and such, so I suppose you just need to be confident in doing that.

Anyways, you got time to decide still exactly what you want to do but it's good that you have some sort of an idea at the moment.

AppleXY

s00 l33t xD
HSC
Uni Grad
thx for the reply jasee. Yea, auditing requires a great deal of communication. I had a choice between IB, Acturial, Auditing, Tax but I went with auditing, because IB is lifeless hellhole, Actuarial takes a fkn long time to complete, and tax is fkn boring. Auditing also gets you to meet many different corporations which is fun and exciting. Hence, my choice in auditing LOL.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
With regards to "tax is boring and auditing is fun and exciting", where are you getting this from? (I'm not saying you're wrong, or right for that matter, but just curious how you have come to this conclusion)

Because I have always thought the same, and after doing the two subjects at uni, I probably think along the same lines...Only because "I don't like tax", compared to "I love auditing" :D

And also, I've heard from a cadet at PwC that tax is exciting and everyone hates auditing (but he is in tax, so don't know what to make of it).

MichaelJackson2

Moonwalker
HSC
From my experience, good communication skills equates to being humorous. I believe the reason why ICAA put me into a public auditing firm for the 'CA Achiever 2005' program was because at the interview I said some dumb things which actually turned out to be quite funny and made the fella crack up.

AppleXY

s00 l33t xD
HSC
Uni Grad
@ Redrum, I thought auditing was more 'exciting' coz your job is not 'fixed'. You go to many different corporations, meet many different people (financial controllers, employees) and makes you apart of the client's corporation temporarily. I thought tax was like accountants filling in tax returns in a dull enviournment that makes u wanna sleep lol (damn H&R Block ads!! :mad: :p) But I might be wrong (actually im certain that im wrong with the tax bit LMAO).

@MichaelJackson2 haha good job man! Just a one question? I'm planning to do the CA achiever's program (lol my sig explains all) do the interviewers place u in auditing or tax, or can u choose? (becoz wot if ur shit at tax).

turtleface

HSC
AppleXY said:
@ Redrum, I thought auditing was more 'exciting' coz your job is not 'fixed'. You go to many different corporations, meet many different people (financial controllers, employees) and makes you apart of the client's corporation temporarily. I thought tax was like accountants filling in tax returns in a dull enviournment that makes u wanna sleep lol (damn H&R Block ads!! :mad: :p) But I might be wrong (actually im certain that im wrong with the tax bit LMAO).
The going to different locations for audit sounds exciting, but personally I think in reality it is overrated (particularly for junior stuff). Going different places basically = doing the work in a broom closet at a client's place. This makes it easier when you need to ask their accountants for their various reports and accounts, and also for answers to any questions you have, that you need during the audit.

Its only when you get to manager + level when you get to mingle with the CEOs/Directors etc and thats where it gets exciting.

RE: H&R Block, did you know the vast majority of H&R Block Tax ppl aren't accountants? Very few are, possibly just the owner of the practice. A lot of my friends work as tax consultants at H&R Block and they are like in 1st year uni.

redruM said:
Just a quick question, with senior1, is that 1 yr experience as a grad or 1 yr experience as a senior (post CA)?
I think by the time you have 1 years PQE (post qualifiying exp) you are usually an Assistant Manager

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
turtleface said:
The going to different locations for audit sounds exciting, but personally I think in reality it is overrated (particularly for junior stuff). Going different places basically = doing the work in a broom closet at a client's place. This makes it easier when you need to ask their accountants for their various reports and accounts, and also for answers to any questions you have, that you need during the audit.

Its only when you get to manager + level when you get to mingle with the CEOs/Directors etc and thats where it gets exciting.
It all depends on the client really.

In cases where it's a huge huge client for example, then as a junior, you will probably only be dealing with corporate accountants and whatnot. Even the managers+ don't really spend that much time dealing with the CEOs/Directors; they only interact as necessary.

As for the broom closet- I've had one client where that was the case, but in most cases we're either in the meeting room/board room, or using a group of desks at the client. But to me, it doesn't really matter so much as long as it's not too uncomfortable, isn't too far out (ie. there's still new places to try the food) and has sufficient lighting/ventilation, I appreciate the whole "going out to new places" thing. Maybe in the future i'll get sick of having to go places, but for now, I enjoy it :) It's all personal preference.

turtleface

HSC
lol I was joking about the broom closet, I can't believe you have actually experienced that.

The worst I've had are meeting rooms. Actually, come to think of it they always seem to chuck you in a meeting room or a board room or something.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
turtleface said:
lol I was joking about the broom closet, I can't believe you have actually experienced that.

The worst I've had are meeting rooms. Actually, come to think of it they always seem to chuck you in a meeting room or a board room or something.
LOL I was exaggerating a bit- but there are some times where you'll be put in a room which was used for storage, with no air cond and poor ventilation, only one power point, maybe a dusty table, small window, etc... but for the most part, you won't get that- and if you do, it's more of a reason to do your documentation from home :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)