Achieving a Band 6 (1 Viewer)

acemusic415

HSC
Hi, I recently received my Ancient History trial results back and I came 1st. I received 91/100 but my school places equal weighting on all assessments. That said, my overall rank isn't 1st. It perhaps is 3rd or 2nd at best, however the marks are extremely tight. What happens if the two people in front of me don't do well in the external HSC exams, will I be affected in gaining a Band 6?

Thanks!

Last edited:

lil_pembo

HSC
yes. yes you will. If you came 3rd, you will receive the third best mark from your cohort

tambam

HSC
Last edited:

muzeikchun852

HSC
minimal effect. because the marks are extremely tight (depends how tight. ~1%), if you ace your external, you external mark will be the internal mark of the person who got 1st. and then calculate yours. so i think you wont be affected much.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
yes. yes you will. If you came 3rd, you will receive the third best mark from your cohort
Shut up.
It will but not majorly. Come first in externals and still get your classmates to do pretty well too.

Deep Blue

HSC
Not exactly. Essentially, you can't get any higher than the highest mark in your cohort. Whatever the highest mark is, first gets that for their internal assessment mark, and whatever the lowest mark is, last gets that for their internal assessment mark. The marks in between are aligned so that they correlate more or less to the gaps between the ranks in your cohort. So if you are third, and close to the people coming first and second, then you are in a better position then if you were third, but there was a huge gap. This is only one of the marks though. The other is your external assessment mark which is what YOU get in the exam. These two marks are then averaged to give your your HSC mark, which is what decides your band. So, yes you will be affected, but its unlikely if you and the students above you perform like they are expected to.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Mostly depends on how well you go in the HSC now. Just hope your moderated mark and rank don't fail you too much.

tambam

HSC
Coming first in my actual HSC will benefit my moderated mark correct (internals)?
Not really, unless you're ranked first.
Otherwise you need to hope everyone else does very well. That's what will improve your internals.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Coming first in my actual HSC will benefit my moderated mark correct (internals)?
If you do really then the average will be higher than it would if you got lower and the average and spread is how they calculate internals. So yes it will benefit you.
Fun fact: 2 band 6s were attained in physics at my school last year. Both to ranks 3 and 4. Rank 1 and 2 got band 5s.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)