Acst300 (1 Viewer)

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
anyone done this unit?

is it math intensive like other ACST units?

ACST300: Insurance and Superannuation Practice
This unit examines the fields of life insurance, general insurance, health funding and superannuation. For each, it examines the products available, the industry structure, the historical development of the industry and the form of government supervision.

it doesn't sound like it at all, just all theory......

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
this is the non-theory unit for actuarials. and no, it's not maths-intensive.

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
oh there are acst people.. :(
i think i'll skip it...

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
jlh said:
oh there are acst people.. :(
i think i'll skip it...
besides acst101 and acst201, if you are a non-actuary don't even think of doing an acst unit unless you want to lower gpa

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
uh ok thanks for the advice flyin'

that means only acst201 to do...

flamin'

flyin' said:
besides acst101 and acst201, if you are a non-actuary don't even think of doing an acst unit unless you want to lower gpa
There are people out there smarter than Actuaries you know =P. I've heard that not even Actuaries can kill ACST300 coz it's really really really different from other ACST units. If you liked the elements section in ACST101 then you'll probably like ACST300.

I don't think anyone here will be able to tell you how hard it is. It's not quantitative.. just read and regurgitate. BUT I did hear that not many people did well in this subject because it's just stupid.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
I have no doubt there are many who are smarter, have better personalities, etc. than actuaries. In fact, non-actuaries can beat actuaries (in ACST101 - all 3 mods were beaten by a non-actuary here on BoS in the same semester we took the unit). But in short, there are better ways to spend 4cp.

If we assume actuaries study hard and actuaries (as you posted generally) don't do well, then a non-actuary better have something special up their sleeves especially since they're not going to out-study the actuaries.

And what's more, if ACST300 is just "read and regurgitate" then we should all do well, because that's all Economics was (and we all did reasonably well in that).

So unless our non-actuary wants a lower GPA or is ultra smart (in which case they'd chose another unit - there are many which I'd rather do than this, and I'm sure they'd think the same), then feel free to register for ACST300.

PS. A 4cp subject does more damage to your GPA than a 3cp subject.

PPS. Does anyone honestly like Elements of ACST101? (In terms of content)

// Why do I get the feeling you were picking an argument?

Last edited:

flamin'

flyin' said:
I have no doubt there are many who are smarter, have better personalities, etc. than actuaries. In fact, non-actuaries can beat actuaries (in ACST101 - all 3 mods were beaten by a non-actuary here on BoS in the same semester we took the unit). But in short, there are better ways to spend 4cp.
mods aren't gods ya know =p i've beaten you all plenty of times too hehehe

flyin' said:
// Why do I get the feeling you were picking an argument?
you know i love arguing with you flyin'! mods are fun to pick on hehe

Maybe its a real hard 'read and regurgitate'? Most theoretical subjects are like that. But most of the guys from the year above who usually HD and D other subjects only P this....

PS get the year book printed - you have til the 25th........

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
flamin' said:
mods aren't gods ya know =p i've beaten you all plenty of times too hehehe

you know i love arguing with you flyin'! mods are fun to pick on hehe

Maybe its a real hard 'read and regurgitate'? Most theoretical subjects are like that. But most of the guys from the year above who usually HD and D other subjects only P this....

PS get the year book printed - you have til the 25th........
you're an actuary, so it doesn't count.

the yearbook is half done. the other half being the hard part...

ps - get james to buy the textbooks and give them to you at work, if you dont wanna wait in line.. cos he'll be at uni for mentor training / orientation

Last edited:

golfstick

balbrady's balbarer
HSC
N/A
i'm doing finance law

since i'm being warned not to do acst200, what would you people recommend?

acst200 (4cp) or accg253 & acst201 (6cp)

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
i would suggest (accg253 and acst201) over (acst200) because you have better chances of achieving a pass or better in both (accg253 and acst201) than (acst200).

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
flyin' said:
i would suggest (accg253 and acst201) over (acst200) because you have better chances of achieving a pass or better in both (accg253 and acst201) than (acst200).

a non actuary asked me this a month ago and ye...wenever if say acst200 to her now she shivers.

golfstick

balbrady's balbarer
HSC
N/A
well I took your advice and it all seems to slot in nicely

1st semester

isys123 (I had 9 100-level subjects to do)
econ200
law204
law205

(17 hours/5 days)

2nd semester

acst201
accg253
econ360
law206

(12 hours/3 days)

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
disclaimer: our advice is no more reliable than our experience (or aim to increase that tally to our left =p)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)