act jobs available in aus (2 Viewers)

simonsun

HSC
N/A
Can anyone tell me the employment status of act sci/act stud in aus?
Is the new graduates are having harsh time getting new jobs? Can anyone tell me the details?

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
so the future is bleak? then whats hte point of doing actuarial then? i imagine employment prospects are better for actuarial positions that require a bit of experience...i gues it would b normal for acst grads to move into non actuarial positions just after graduating

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
:D i knew there was a good reason y i ditched unsw :p

what GPAs should we be looking at for reasonable employment prospects, coz its our first job out of uni and theyll have nothing else tolook at...again i am assuming you dont know exactly, but ur speculation will provide a rough guide

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
to get into interview u need something that makes u stand out compared to others. having a high gpa and a ton of extra curricular stuff shows u have good time management.

once u get to interview stage, they don't care what your gpa is. they juz try to imagine working with sumone like you. so if you're a hot chick then you're in. hehe

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
fuuuk 3.75 is sooo high...ok i can speak english now thats a plus...what kind of extra curricular activities would be good...team sports etc?

CrashOveride

HSC
converse in english

we're up on all the international students already supra =p

j/k

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
international students cant get most jobs anyway
most if not all vacation jobs require u to be a perm resident

anything extra curricular is good. they wanna c how u can still manage uni and take on other stuff at same time. juz depends how u sell ur skills...

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=- said:
to get into interview u need something that makes u stand out compared to others. having a high gpa and a ton of extra curricular stuff shows u have good time management.
So if your gpa is say....2.317342
Your a reject in terms of getting an acst job ?

that suxs...

noneother

the Cho is great
HSC
Someone i know got a job after graduating from actuary, she works for one of the big 4's..not sure whether its specifically actuary job but she said that u'll always have a job with an actuary degree just not doing actuary work. its seen as a degree which is highly respected and of high calibre candidates so having an actuary degree can lead u anywhere in financial world.

What happens though if part 1 exemptions don't happen? Would have to drop actuary? Can u still get part 1 after graduation (ie take a test or whatever)? how many people actually get part 1? (*ahem I slacked off too much this semester!)

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
i dun fink u can finish actuarial with gpa below 2.5 coz u need it to do some later units...

ye u can sit part 1 exams externally. its juz mq's system is good in that if u get credits in certain subject u dun need to do the external test. some ppl do a maths degree and wanna do actuarial go and get their license externally.

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
yep mala is right...u need 2.5 min to do some of the higher units, the acst subjects document has all the details

CrashOveride said:
converse in english

we're up on all the international students already supra =p

j/k
:D:D thats y i love the acst writing assignments, 10+15 = 25 % of the course :D:D

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
i don think they offer actuarial units in summer anyways?

i thought it was only for the big units with huge candidature

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
what my mate did was that he did econ111 in summer school and did 4 units in sem 2. the units are subject to availability though (on meeting minimum no. of students)

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
risky coz if he didnt get the cr in econ 111 in the summer then it would b a waste...if u do it in hte semester, and u miss out on credit, then u can try get ur credit in summer school and not lose anytime...

on the other hand credits and above are what actuaries really need so yeh u should get it on first go :p

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
Supra said:
risky coz if he didnt get the cr in econ 111 in the summer then it would b a waste...if u do it in hte semester, and u miss out on credit, then u can try get ur credit in summer school and not lose anytime...

on the other hand credits and above are what actuaries really need so yeh u should get it on first go :p
i think you go better in summer school, if you are dedicated. it is a much more intense period, ie- doesnt drag on for heaps long.

btw, he got a hd.

another guy went from a fail in accg101 to a d in summer school.

of course if you fuck around....you will fuck up.

AcStyle*

Believe in Desire
HSC
flyin' said:
in short, no (ie. you pay full fee in summer.. which ironically is cheaper for international students then what they normally pay during the semester)
Yep locals pay $1500/subject, internationals only $400 which is y classes r lyk 99% fob....plus most of them do 2 summer skool subjects, cos normal semester units r a few $k each...

CrashOveride

HSC
oh i thought if it was only a bit more expensive, or moreover if hecs covered it, to accelerate my degree.

appears not to be too viable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)