ACTL1101 Questions Help (mostly first year uni probability) (2 Viewers)

leehuan

HSC
In the real world, is there any need to use any of the moments aside from the first (mean) and the second about the first (variance)?

(More of a personal interest than an ACTL1101 question per se)

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
In the real world, is there any need to use any of the moments aside from the first (mean) and the second about the first (variance)?

Yes. The third moment has to do with skewness (which is more precisely the third standardised moment). The fourth moment has to do with kurtosis (which is more precisely the fourth standardised moment).

Skewness intuitively has to do with how asymmetric your distribution/data is about its mean, whilst kurtosis is a measure of how heavy the tails of the distribution are. These things can be important things to know about a distribution or dataset and are thus useful for example in the world of descriptive statistics.

Here are the Wikipedia pages for these for further reading:

• Skewness: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skewness
• Kurtosis: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurtosis.

mreditor16

HSC

Pepper your Angus for next semester. All your questions about this will be answered then haaha

leehuan

HSC
Pepper your Angus for next semester. All your questions about this will be answered then haaha
Assuming I keep ACTL rip

I probably will. But it's sad how even in 1101 I'm dying

leehuan

HSC
Q: Suppose X follows a standard normal distribution. Calculate the correlation between X and X2

So I got lost in their working out when they computed the moments to find the covariance.

This is the formula I'm allowed to use but I have a feeling for this question I'm not supposed to need it.

Last edited:

Orthos

HSC
Q: Suppose X follows a standard normal distribution. Calculate the correlation between X and X2

So I got lost in their working out when they computed the moments to find the covariance.

This is the formula I'm allowed to use but I have a feeling for this question I'm not supposed to need it.

What if r is odd in that formula? What if r is even?

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Note all odd moments are automatically 0 since X has a density that is symmetric about 0. In other words, the pdf is even, and x^r is odd if r is odd, so x^r * (pdf) is an odd function when r is odd, making the integral for the expected value 0.

leehuan

HSC
Note all odd moments are automatically 0 since X has a density that is symmetric about 0. In other words, the pdf is even, and x^r is odd if r is odd, so x^r * (pdf) is an odd function when r is odd, making the integral for the expected value 0.
Ahh right. Maybe I should've pulled out the integral to make it clearer for myself.

(By extension I'm guessing that the gamma function formula is only really necessary for even moments then)

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

(Don't need to worry about even moments at all for the given Q. though. Answer is just 0 due to symmetric density resulting in 0 for odd moments, as mentioned before.)

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC

(Don't need to worry about even moments at all for the given Q. though. Answer is just 0 due to symmetric density resulting in 0 for odd moments, as mentioned before.)
Hmm I see.

(Yeah I know)

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Remark. This question gives an example of a pair of random variables (X and X^2) that are dependent yet uncorrelated. Thus uncorrelated does not imply independent. We know though that if two r.v.'s are independent, then they are uncorrelated. Thus independence is stronger than uncorrelatedness.

leehuan

HSC
Remark. This question gives an example of a pair of random variables (X and X^2) that are dependent yet uncorrelated. Thus uncorrelated does not imply independent. We know though that if two r.v.'s are independent, then they are uncorrelated. Thus independence is stronger than uncorrelatedness.
:p They mentioned that in the question

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
It's a pretty classic example of uncorrelated yet dependent random variables (I think it's the example given on a Wikipedia page too, and several other places, for illustrating this phenomenon.)

leehuan

HSC
In the real world, are there any kind of judgements needed to determine if the binomial distribution (for large n) is to be approximated by a Poisson or by a normal?

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Last edited:

leehuan

HSC
Hypothetical scenario:

Suppose X ~ discrete r.v.
Y ~ continuous r.v.

How would you calculate Cov(X,Y)?

Also if Z ~ continuous r.v.
How would you calculate Cov(Y,Z)?

Feel free to use fX(x) notation for pmf/pdf if need be

leehuan

HSC
Just briefly, how do you prove that the exponential distribution is memoryless?

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Just briefly, how do you prove that the exponential distribution is memoryless?
It's easy to prove that exponential => memoryless.

To prove that in fact (for continuous distribution) memoryless => exponential is a little harder – comes down to showing the only continuous function that solves the functional equation S(t+s) = S(t)S(s) will be exponential functions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)