Actuarial Studies and Engineering (1 Viewer)

jezza123

HSC
Hi. A while ago i was interested in doing actuarial studies but got scared off by people telling me how hard it was. So i decided to do engineering / commerce instead, telling myself i can still do actuarial studies for the commerce part if i want.

I'm doing all engineering subjects atm but i'm starting to think i would have prefered straight actuarial studies, and i should have just gone for it. I'm not sure ive the balls to change now and waste a semester but my question is: would it be alright to do actuarial studies as my commerce major? anyone done this before?

I've heard engineering/commerce is intended for engineers with extra commerce knowledge rather than the other way around, but if i did decide to go into a straight commerce field would i get employed having only done the 96UOC in commerce as opposed to the 144UOC if i'd done it straight? Or, if i stuck with engineering, would a double in actuarial studies help at all? because they don't really compliment each other.

UNSW CONTACT

HSC
N/A
Hi jezza123,

There are a quite a few considerations to take into account. The CONTACT office will be open from Monday 10am-4pm, and we can help talk you through the different considerations and refer you on to the most appropriate people to talk to, so you can find the best information.

We can also chat with you online when we are in the office at Contact: Any questions?.

cheers
CONTACT

Dt 08

HSC
hey

i am in the exact same position as you. i moved away from actuarial studies because people have said it is too hard, but according to friends in the course, it sounds possible to manage.

i have talked to people in the commerce industry and many have said that a combined engo/commerce should not disadvantage you, and is prehaps an advantage if you want to enter either field. say if you wanted to enter into finance, engineers are valued because of their analytical skills, and if you look at graduate recruitment programs, big firms are interested in engineers without the need for a background in commerce. check out the brochures from mac bank, ernst n young, etc. furthermore, it makes you distinct from the hundreds of other regular commerce students, so that may help you get employed. this is i think regardless of the units of credit. more opinions on this would be helpful please :)

if however we do end up doing actuarial studies, the workload i think is going to be a bigg problem.

i am right now deciding between sticking to combined engo/commerce or transferring out to a straight commerce degree right now. the straight degree seems more appealing to me as it is shorter, allows you to do two majors, and i have lost interest in engineering. however i am like you reluctant to waste a semester.

say if we did transfer however, do we do anything next semester because actuarial subjects start in semester 1?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)