Actuarial Studies UAI??? (1 Viewer)

Zozo6969

HSC
Hi all I'm in Year 11 right now and am sort of interested in Actuarial Studies at either Macquarie or UNSW. I'm just curious, however, about what UAI I would need to get into the course. I will probably be full-fee-paying and I've heard that gives you extra points on top of the UAI you get.
I think it is reasonable that i will get a UAI of about 90 so will that be about enough and yes, I know it changes every year. Also, if you just do Actuarial Studies, no double major, are you able to do another degree after you have done the first one ie. do B Comm - Actuarial Studies and after completion (3,4 years or whatever) do B Comm - Finance or Eco, without worrying what UAI you got??

Thanks in advance.

jake2.0

. . .
HSC
First of all the UAI has been falling for a few years now so in 2 years it'll probably be around 94-95 (was ~96 last year, for CSP places that is). Secondly reconsider doin actuary unless you can get above 97, the department suggests 97.5, because the work is quite tough. Unless you do really well in your maths (3u,4u) subjects but other subjects dragged you down.

The UAIs above are for maq, UNSW was about 94 this year. UNSW is best if you are unsure about actuarial stds as you can change into a variety of degrees, unlike maq. :)

EDIT: just checked UAC http://www.uac.edu.au/courses/mq/300232.html its only 85.2 for DFEE

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I have a question, where is this lack of 'ease' of transfer into a 'variety' of degrees we talking about? Strictly in EFS I hope?

jake2.0

. . .
HSC
All i meant was that UNSW offers more degrees in fields like engineering.

Nothing personal;) i think maq is awsome, not right now though because of all these stupid tests and assignments :burn:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Haha no I just saw it mentioned a few times before, I'm just curious as to what 'more freedom' kinda meant cos I've always felt MQ was a lot more flexible with degrees, just not in the 'right' areas I guess :)

Raginsheep

HSC
At Mac, its a seperate degree compared to the other commerce subjects. At UNSW, its just a major meaning that all you need to do is change your subjects and you change from Actuarial to say Finance.

Zozo6969

HSC
I read somewhere that it said CSP places have to be filled before DFEE students can enrol. What exactly does that mean. If ur UAI is like 88 and above DFEE but below CSP you might not get in if not enough CSPs are filled??

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
Is there a reason why you will be full fee paying? Aren't you eligible for HECS (or whatever it is called now)
You need a certain level of aptitude for Actuarial Studies, if you think you can handle it with about 90, then go for it. But from my experiences, I think the UAI is higher for a reason.
With double majors (or double degrees), look at the UAI requirements for the double degrees. If you can get in them, then well and good, if you can't then another alternative would be to enroll in Actuarial Studies single degree and transfer (you can also go the other way, with high enough marks). You don't complete a degree and do another degree.
If you are looking for figures for UAI requirements in the past, try the UAC website.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Raginsheep said:
At Mac, its a seperate degree compared to the other commerce subjects. At UNSW, its just a major meaning that all you need to do is change your subjects and you change from Actuarial to say Finance.
Ahh, thats the reason I was looking for, thanks for that, never knew it was just a major there :)

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
jake2.0 said:
First of all the UAI has been falling for a few years now so in 2 years it'll probably be around 94-95 (was ~96 last year, for CSP places that is). Secondly reconsider doin actuary unless you can get above 97, the department suggests 97.5, because the work is quite tough. Unless you do really well in your maths (3u,4u) subjects but other subjects dragged you down.

The UAIs above are for maq, UNSW was about 94 this year. UNSW is best if you are unsure about actuarial stds as you can change into a variety of degrees, unlike maq. :)

EDIT: just checked UAC http://www.uac.edu.au/courses/mq/300232.html its only 85.2 for DFEE
qft...biggest regret of my life coming to mq, i should have known i was a unsw actuary not a maq actuary :p Reputation of actuarial is higher at mq, but does that matter to you? Grades are more important no matter where you go.

If you are unsure of actuarial, or you dont get the recommended marks, you should go to UNSW so it saves u the hassle of having a shit gpa and being stuck somewhere u dont want to be. At NSW u can change ur actuarial major to a finance one...which is still a hot degree.

Although if i didnt go to Maq i wouldn't have met my beautiful gf, so another thing u have to take into account i guess is where the chicks/guys are (dont wanna make any assumptions) . Maq is quite good in that respect i guess (especially in the guys case) ;)

You're only in year 11, its good to have an idea, but its a little early to start predicting UAIs and hypothesizing, so dont worry too much :)

Zozo6969

HSC
Ok thanks. But since I live near the hurstville area, it would be much easier to get to Randwick than to go all the way to North Ryde. Just dunno if ma UAI will be good enough. Doing 3U maths, contemplating 4U (first in maths, first in 3U) and also do physics, eco. Pretty interested in the area of Actuary though. Have a family friend who works for an insurance company and she says heaps of people there are actuarys and its good.

Tabris

HSC
Note that the UAI does not really indicate the course difficulty, an acst degree requires some very demanding attention to the work. I heard getting a Cr in stat171 is not easy.

Are u willing to travel all the way to Macq? If u believe that u can take advantage of a Macq Bcom-acst better than a UNSW, maybe u should think about going to Macq. I live about 1 suburb away from Hurstville and given my options so i know how it feels.

Also, 3unit maths, requires a certain grade, E4 i think it was, 4u is highly recommended.

On a side note, there is no such thing as wasting your UAI, i was on a northern line train and these 3 asian students (no surprise there) were talking how macq law is shit and how your UAI would be wasted if u goto Macq. UAI indicates supply and demand, not really difficulty.

DO what u like, not what sounds good and looks good, Macq is very flexible in ECFS transfers. DONT go DFEE, its a massive debt, if u cant make it, choose appfin, u can do all the units actuaries do in first year (with exceptions to 2 acst units, i think) and transfer in 2nd year, but like all degrees it requires hard work.

U know u chose the right degree if u think UNi is not HSC twice a year with 3 times the work

P.S i dont like kiddies who dont know anything about uni and starting knocking it. They only know two-things: jack and shit. Esp, those snobby private school elitest kids and theres plenty of them on the northern line trains in the arvo.

U start on level ground, doesnt matter if u got 100 or just on the margin, from there on, its how much ur willing to go and succeed. The work is different, HSC humanities and socail sciences goes out the window, u start with a clean slate.

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Haha, those asians were probably talking about how shit it was cos they were failing *chuckles*

Yeah, UAI means nothing, you'll see some who have had a wake up call, or are just conducive to actually having to work for themselves but just scraped into uni start getting HDs and Ds, while the usually spoon-fed private school kids crash and burn because memorisation becomes useless.

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
Zozo6969 said:
Ok thanks. But since I live near the hurstville area, it would be much easier to get to Randwick than to go all the way to North Ryde. Just dunno if ma UAI will be good enough. Doing 3U maths, contemplating 4U (first in maths, first in 3U) and also do physics, eco. Pretty interested in the area of Actuary though. Have a family friend who works for an insurance company and she says heaps of people there are actuarys and its good.
do 4u, great for scaling.
My girl lives near Hurstville, catches half n hour train to city then 50minute bus from Town Hall direct to Maq. That fkn sux, so take that into account. However it sounds like you're pretty keen on actuarial and u might be better off at maq if you think you'll go the distance. To early to say.

Kegs

HSC
Yes, a credit in Stat171 is very hard. I got 53, and was so happy with that. A few of my friends where there for the repeat, and thanks to me not being in Acst Studies, a Pass was good enough. Acst Studies is a tough course, and very competitive. The people there are crazy smart and seem to learn by osmosis. But i guess I shouldnt have read the paper during lectures.

I thought I wanted to do Acst Studies as well, but when I got to uni, I realised it wasnt for me. There is a lot of choice at uni, so you dont need to decide now. Just give it a while and see how you go at school, and look into everything a bit more.

henry.yu

HSC
Haha, those asians were probably talking about how shit it was cos they were failing *chuckles*

Yeah, UAI means nothing, you'll see some who have had a wake up call, or are just conducive to actually having to work for themselves but just scraped into uni start getting HDs and Ds, while the usually spoon-fed private school kids crash and burn because memorisation becomes useless.
They are selective about their university because they are struggling to get into the course? Does that make any sense to you? It shouldn't.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
They are selective about their university because they are struggling to get into the course? Does that make any sense to you? It shouldn't.
Holy crapola Robin, you're right on the ball there kid, see you in another 3 years k!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)