Actuarial Studies (1 Viewer)

hurikai

boredofposting
HSC
Umm, just a few questions...

Are there any prerequisites for actuarial studies aside from maths? And just how maths-based is it? That is, if you're good at maths, does that mean you'll definitely be good at actuarial studies? And how difficult is actuarial studies in general?

Also, if you happen to screw up actuarial studies is there any way you can change unis? And and... I've heard someone tell me this before, but do people from various businesses really come to uni and offer future contracts for macquarie actuarial studies students?

Thanks for any help or advice :)

Raginsheep

HSC
Theres pretty much no more prereqs for any degrees in Australia nowdays. Having said that a good 4u or very good 3u mark is expected and even then success is far from guaranteed. It takes committed effort to do well.

Regarding changing degrees if Actuarial Studies doesn't happen to be your thing, UNSW is probably easier for that purpose since its not a seperate degree to the other commerce majors like at Macq so you can just pick non-actuarial subjects and be fine.

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
raginsheep is right...unsw is better if you're doubtful of not lasting...it is very demanding, and dont be under the impression that its all maths. You can never escape essay writing, in uni and u need to be able to communicate well in general life after uni. e.g ECON201 has a major essay assignment. The degree is dominated by statistical type maths, so 4u and 3u arent great indicators. Actually 4u tests your ability to think, which is what you'll need to do in Actuarial, think and work hard.

Tabris

HSC
U call that a major assignment? Lucky u werent around for law104....

alexvincent

HSC
Wow this guy's keen.. only in yr 10.

I'm not answering your questions but I can give you some advice.
Don't narrow yourself to one career path, usually people's preferences change between yr 10 and 12. Their goals often change too including UAI aims. Or maybe you might not reach your goals like you might find that you can't cope with HSC maths.

You're in year 10, enjoy it while it lasts. Choose the subjects which are both challenging and enjoyable. The thing that will get you into uni is your UAI alone, nothing else.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)