Actuary Studies vs Computer Science? (1 Viewer)

Wizjaro

HSC
To be quite honest, being an actuary isn't very math heavy. Even when you're doing the lower level tasks. The truth is most systems/models have already been built so your job essentially becomes analysing and optimising those systems which doesn't require the math you learn at uni to be honest. And the higher you go the less math you see. Pretty sure the managers have forgotten most of the stuff they learnt at Uni by that point. So if you want a very math heavy job I really wouldn't recommend being an Actuary. You do a ton of crazy math in Uni but you don't really do much more after you've got your fellowship qualification. While I do think you could do the job of an actuary without being great at math, the barrier to entry into the role requires you to be very good at math which is weird in my opinion. If I were to recommend what Uni to go to I would say Macquarie predominately for the scholarship haha, but to each his own. As for comp sci and coding, unfortunately coding isn't super useful in every actuary role, and even if there was need for coding it typically isnt anything super intensive so I personally wouldn't recommend learning comp sci, but rather learn a bit of python and the sorts on the side as you complete your degree. As for the question about collecting data and making models and stuff, you dont really do any of that, as its all already been done like ages ago. The real skills that will help you do well as an actuary is attention to detail, pattern recognition, research ability(i.e. being able to independently investigate problems if they arise), and understanding the psychology of humans + the market. In saying that I do still think being an actuary is a worthwhile endeavour, I came for the math but I stayed for the complexities. It is a quite interesting job methinks. If you have any specific questions you can pm me and I can help to the best of my ability, but at the end of the day I'd just say trust your hit and do whatever you think feels the most fun.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)