Addict Claire Murray offered second chance for liver transplant (1 Viewer)

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
yes and i'm saying that she should be eligible for another one, she should just wait in line like everyone else

if she dies waiting, that's unfortunate but she shouldn't be afforded any more or any less of a priority regardless of her condition

that's just how shit rollz

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Take the bitch out back and 'put her to sleep'.
Why should the tax payers fund a junkie.
We already do. Just like we fund smokers and alcoholics, obese people, people with chronic lifestyle conditions.

Factor them out of the equation and it doesn't leave many Australians left.

Fairly sure they pay tax too?

shuttle_bus5

HSC
We already do. Just like we fund smokers and alcoholics, obese people, people with chronic lifestyle conditions.

Factor them out of the equation and it doesn't leave many Australians left.

Fairly sure they pay tax too?
You can't compare tabbaco/alcohol to amphetamines.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
You can't compare tabbaco/alcohol to amphetamines.
Why not?

More people die from smoking and alcohol related deaths every year in Australia than from amphetamine deaths. Alcohol is only second to smoking for preventable causes of death in Australia.
More people are hospitalised as a result of alcohol related violence, including street brawls, domestic violence than with amphetamines.

Alcohol abuse costs Australians $15.3 billion dollars each year and 3000 Australians die from alcohol related causes. 50 Australians die every day from smoking related diseases. I would imagine a vast majority of these people have required some form of tax payer funded treatment before their death. Smokers are also eligible to receive transplants.

Alcohol Related Statistics

Why shouldn't they be compared? What outrages you about amphetamine use that doesn't outrage you about the widespread misuse of alcohol and tobacco?

shuttle_bus5

HSC
Why not?

More people die from smoking and alcohol related deaths every year in Australia than from amphetamine deaths. Alcohol is only second to smoking for preventable causes of death in Australia.
More people are hospitalised as a result of alcohol related violence, including street brawls, domestic violence than with amphetamines.

Alcohol abuse costs Australians $15.3 billion dollars each year and 3000 Australians die from alcohol related causes. 50 Australians die every day from smoking related diseases. I would imagine a vast majority of these people have required some form of tax payer funded treatment before their death. Smokers are also eligible to receive transplants.

Alcohol Related Statistics

Why shouldn't they be compared? What outrages you about amphetamine use that doesn't outrage you about the widespread misuse of alcohol and tobacco?

I am well aware with the statistics associated with alcohol and smoking.
There are a number of reasons why alcohol/tabaco shouldn't be compared with amphetamines. Such as the social stigma, alcohol/tabaco being readily available, the effects of amphetamines are worse etc etc

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
I am well aware with the statistics associated with alcohol and smoking.
There are a number of reasons why alcohol/tabaco shouldn't be compared with amphetamines. Such as the social stigma, alcohol/tabaco being readily available, the effects of amphetamines are worse etc etc
Citation please.

Social stigma? Who gives a shit. If we gave a shit about social stigma, we'd make gay people use separate bathrooms and shit just incase we caught teh AIDS from them. Why in the name of fuck should "social stigma" dictate whether this girl is given the opportunity to live a bit longer - especially since she has 2 small children who will become orphaned because of "social stigma".

Yes, alcohol and tobacco is readily available. Because it's legal. I'm sorry, I'm missing your point? Amphetamines are illegal, yes - so you want to preclude everybody who breaks an archaic law from reaping the benefits from the rest of society?

The effects of amphetamines are worse? In what respect? If you know about the statistics associated with alcohol and smoking, how can you possibly claim that amphetamines are worse?

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
So you would have no problem if you were say waiting at a bus stop and some bloke starts shooting up next to you?
I'm not following.

Even if I did have a problem with it, I don't see how this would reflect on my later decision to grant him medical assistance.

I would not be any more offended or disturbed by a person shooting up at a bus stop than I am by people swigging from long necks in the middle of the day at bus stops.

Really, what point are you trying to make? There is a social stigma against obese people do, we don't refuse them treatment?

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Fuck me when did everyone on bos start listening to 2UE and reading the Telegraph?

Without knowing the ins and outs of the specific case you guys are pretty confident in your moral highground.

The fact of the matter is that morality has no place in medicine, it is a matter of whether the treatment is likely to suceed or not. If her dad is willing to donate part of his liver to save his daughter then that is his decision, and it is up to him to determine the morality of it. It is not taking anything away from others needing liver transplants (many of which also need such treatment due to substance abuse) and it is a relatively small cost to the taxpayer.

I have a problem with money being spent prolonging the lifespans of old people past economic viability, but this is what public healthcare is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)