adding poetry (1 Viewer)

zerzillia

from what i've seen in the young writers' showcase (2001 and 2002), short stories can take up literally any form. newspaper, diary, even blank spaces.

my question is, if i put poetry in, how could i do it effectively? if anyone knows a way so it looks all integrated, please post it here and share it. ;)

any help or comment is appreciated!

ps. are you putting poetry in your short storie(s)??
if so, how?

:rolleyes:

vicburke

Capt. Schneider Bandwagon
HSC
i am adding poetry to mine.
you can add it anyway you like but it has to, i guess, add to your creation otherwise there is no point in doing it.

i added mine throughout my stories. its poetry by just one person and there is, obviously, a selection of his poems that relate (because they were written during the time) to my work.

did that help, if not let me know and i will 'try' again.

picaresque

HSC
a great proportion of my work is narrative verse - which means, whilst i can say: yes yes i'm using poetry, i can't really answer the question of integration. it doesn't need to be integrated into the story - it is the story.

i think if you have a reason for something to be there, the very fact that the work necessitates its presence will allow for a smooth and cohesive transition. if you don't know how to put it in without it sticking out like a sore thumb, go back and ask yourself exactly why you're putting poetry into it in the first place? -- if it doesn't seem to belong.

zerzillia

thanks for the replies.
i guess my poetry doesn't go with my prose because the two are very different.
my poetry is usually 1st person (that comes naturally) and not as "detached" as my prose. i need to see if i can integrate them, if not, i will not add any poetry to it. or it will seem odd (in a bad way).

J

jhakka

I'm not adding poetry, though I'm adding letters and speeches to mine.

mayhemily

HSC
i have poetry in one of my stories because it is in sections. under each heading i have a short poem the reflects the segment.

super katie

BEHOLD!
HSC
a girl at my school is adding poetry i think... the best way to integrate it would probably be to begin or round of a section, but it would be difficult to incorporate it into the structure of your story so it doesnt look odd

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)