ADF Gap Year (1 Viewer)

rickyd071

HSC
mine only says they are not bound to employing me in my chosen field. it doesnt say anything bout employment in other fields if it is in their best interests

a good point you make but..

SonicMouse

HSC
hey boys n gals
im joing up the ADF gap year as a Rifleman hopefully in brisbane, great to see tons of other ppl interested in the gap year :)

SonicMouse

HSC
nah man, i havent got any enlistment papers, ive had my YOU sesh and waiting for an assesmsent day, all this waiting is annoying lol i wish there was just 1 meeting instead of all these time consuming meetings/sessions.

Alex1234567890

HSC
Hey guys and girls.
Its the 9th of August and after applying for the ARMY GAP YEAR in march, I have finally received the letter I have been waiting for!
I my enlistment day on the 2nd of Febuary 8am sharp.
I can't wait, please anyone who is joining me please contact me on msn or email me at alexxhuntt@hotmail.com, it would be great to hear why you joined and if your interests are to continue!
Talk to you SOON.
Alex
P.s. Applied for Rifleman as its the most phyically challenging and exciting career choice being offered.

SonicMouse

HSC
Wow alex, it took you 6months process just to get enlistment papers, i hope mine doesnt take that long :p

What kind of pre-fitness are you going to do before the 80 days recruitment??
personally i just go for runs 3 times a week and play seasonal sport on the weekends.

Alex1234567890

HSC
Well I love smashing myself when it comes to training, its usually all or nothing for me. So some time I must find a bit of consistancy in my training. I have begun going to the gym 3 times a week and doing weights, naturally I'm a built runner, which has both its ups and downs, (6'2, 73kg, skinny shit) So i'v been trying to bulk up a bit haha.

Did the beep test recently got a 15.9 so I have no problems there, its more pack marches that will probably kill me lol. I have begun to do a few pack marches all across my town with rocks and let me tell you I can barely feel my shoulders for a week. Maybe by cutting down the intensity I may improve consistancy lol. A training partner would really help lol.

As for the gym, I am strengthening my chest and arms, and probably should start working on the big quad muscles soon.
Bench Press, bicep curl, triceps, pushups (I can get around 50-60 depending on the day), lots of planks, chinups and situps too.

I think its important to go in there with the best possible fitness so that you will be up with the fast group, and Kapooka won't be AS tough.

What about you? How's your fitness going, as far as pushups, situps, beep test, etc. How far do you run when you go for them?

I am looking forward to the warmer months, easier training better motivation lol.

Keep up the good training, it will all be worth it :)

Oh yeah and Sonic, don't panic about my 6 months of recruitment hell, I had a lot of problems that were really frustrating lol.
As a baby I got a blood platelet condition from an allergic reaction (you wouldn't even know it) so I had many blood tests :( (of course, nothing was wrong, just wasted several more weeks of processing lol)
Not to mention I got my bracers pulled off 2 years early to get my application processed. Oh and at the time they were upgrading their systems so ALL my paperwork was lost. A few issues there. I never was good when it came to luck.
Lol, hopefully your not dealing with the same shit I did to get through, BUT its all worth it. I can't wait!

Last edited:

SonicMouse

HSC
i think im in the same boat as you im 6 foot and weigh 68kg's, ive been just doing 3-5km runs medium-high intensity, cant get any more than that before my throat starts burning cus of the cold. Yes warmer months will be heavenly ;)

Situps should be easy for me i do around 80 before going to bed each night and i came top 5 in my grade for last years beep test so kapooka should be easy for me in that respect. But when it comes to pushups, i really am a lanky bastard and i can only do 30 and im out of breath. Yeh i dono how i could handle pack marches aye, my shoulders wil be bruised, hopefully i can toughen em up. I cant imagine going to kapooka unfit, it will make the 80 days feel like hell.

Yeh man, that medical questionarre went on forever lol, hopefully there is no concerns for me, im yet to have my assesment day but hopefully theres no more medical documents i got to sign.

Any tips for the assesment day?? my first preference is rifleman. grats on getting in so quick and getting your shit together, i always leave everythign to the last minute, fingers crossed i get in.

Sonic.

Alex1234567890

HSC
Go into assessment day really confident. There is a lot of waiting around but eventually you have a phyc interview (no problems), then you go in with the nurse and she will weight you, give you a hearing test, visual test. The you see a doctor he just makes sure your healthy and no abnormalities (genitals included). Then you go to your defence interview...
Now lol, i did A LOT of research and I really knew my stuff, if you haven't already make sure you go to the defencejobs website and look all through rifleman training, also do heaps of stuff on kapooka and what you will be doing. Do a bit on your pay, rights, and drug policy too.
I must of spent many hours memorising word-for-word every possible thing, but it turns out my interview had 2 questions and he was so impressed he didn't bother asking me for any more details. So yeah haha all my work really wasn't nessicary ah well.
Its really quite easy, just be yourself, don't panic, and most importantly be confident and show them you want the job!

Make sure you stay on top of your forms, etc as soon as you get them send them straight back completely filled out. Its going to start getting tight for space now that we are in the 8th month, so don't shit around. You should have no problems, just remember its important to fill out your forms and send them off ASAP.

I talked on the phone with the recruits about a week ago. They still have around 100 rifleman positions available. Which is quite a lot, not to mention there are many soldiering postions too which give you the opportunity to become a rifleman after Kapooka anyway.

REALLY IMPORTANT!: Make sure you have a 2nd preference, I know all you probably want to do is be a Rifleman (like i did lol) but make sure you have maybe soldier as a 2nd preferance. That way your chances of getting in will be much greater.

January intake is FULL. I got in on the febuary (there is also a march intake) so i'll probably be seeing you then :)

Last edited:

SonicMouse

HSC
Thanks for the info, ill be sure to know my stuff. Im tossing up between Gun Number and Rifelman now though.

I was just wondering after the Recruit training and IET (initail employment training) is there 12 months of full time service required after that? Or does the training count as 'service' and deduct from the 12months?

Also how long did it take you to get your Assesment day after you sent away your papers?

Thanks

mattkraeh2906

HSC
N/A
hey sonic
from what i understand it is 12 months including the basic training and IET. not 100% could be wrong
after my you session i got a call and got the assesment day booked in exactly 1 month later!
good luck with it all

Last edited:

SonicMouse

HSC
Im still waiting on an assesment day date for around a month and a bit. Is it possible for them to reject me? I have no health/legal/academic complications, did well in the aptitude, not colourblind.. yet no reply on assesment day..

mattkraeh2906

HSC
N/A
yeah the application process is pretty slow ive been waiting for a a while since my assesment day, hope its all worth it but.
maybe just give your case manager a ring and ask how your application is going>?

another question - is the pre fitness test 8 weeks prior to when you go away?
thanks

ryanbrown

HSC
im about 9-10 months through the gap year, was in the first intake..
in that time ive been home for about 2 weeks. its a pretty busy year if your gonna do it, but worth it if your keen. and yeah the main aim of it is to get you to sign on for 4 years.
i can help if anyones got q's.
cheers

christiee

HSC
which force did u go into? do u reccommend it for chics?? oh and how much do u pay for acc etc!
thanx

ryanbrown

HSC
i joined the army as a Rifleman in the RAINF. i had previously completed a year of university and got bored with it.. engineering..
it depends what you want to do. i always wanted to join n this made it easier for me..
if you really want to give it a go and youve looked right into it, then go for it. i believe the raaf and navy gap years can discharge at any time, but with army the only chance to is while your at kapooka (80 days basic). its probably changed since i last read it tho..

i dont pay rent, but utilities and meals equal a little more than what im paying for hecs each fortnight.. not much really.

cheers

gravstar

HSC
For the army it's 4 weeks I don't know about navy or air force though. Sonic the whole process takes a while, I waited about 6 weeks to have the assessment day from YOU day.

mattkraeh2906

HSC
N/A
hello all!
just wondering if anyone knows how many positions are left in the gap year??
ive heard they are still accepting applications so yeah...
hope to hear back from you
matt

JJ Jordos

HSC
im thinking of doing the gap year next yr... how hard is the fitness test? and the intial training...

im thinking of doing army

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)