• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

ADF Gap Year (1 Viewer)

TheStallion

HSC
I only just make the cut for the BMI, coming in at around 19. Luckily I was between the correct weights for the operation of ejection seats, or I might have been rejected. =O

But yeah, like everyone else, just get fit. All through Year 12, I'm hoping to do a lot of working out, to really get my BMI up.

aragami0012

HSC
N/A
I'm 170cm and weigh in at about 57kg. BMI is about 19/20.

My doctor for my medical exam just told me to not lose any weight before I enlist.

Auraden - I have the same problem as you, in year 12 but I look like I'm in year 10 haha.

Edit: Woo, got my letter of offer today! Enlistment is on the 4th of January!

Last edited:

rizz_31

HSC
hey aragami congrats man,

did u get a choice about when u leave or is it just what they tell u, cause i've planned to go to schoolies with mates in nov and have family holiday in jan which i'd prefer not to miss!

aragami0012

HSC
N/A
Yeah, you get a choice, they'll try and get you on the December shipment, but you can ask to be put on a later shipment.

juster

HSC
N/A
iv been thinking about doing an ADF gap year in 2011 but i want to get a few things clarified first.
Are the jobs you actually perform during the gap year mainly administrative and well.. boring??
and what happens if i decide the ADF isnt for me halfway through the year??
thanks

aragami0012

HSC
N/A
Juster, there are a range of jobs you can do, depending on what force you go into. Were you thinking Army, Navy or Air Force?

Army allows you to undertake a job for the year, you can choose from a range of things, such as tanks, artillery, rifleman, combat engineer, etc. Navy and Air Force will, however, give you a general overview of a lot of positions in the defence force. Note also that a gap year in the Air Force is an Officer position.

I'm pretty sure there is a gap (first 30 days maybe?) in your military training in which you can drop out, but after that you are there for the full 12 months.

Though unless you have some serious authority issues, you should be doing something you like and shouldn't have any problems with it.

ila3

HSC
:D Got an assesment day! just wondering is the fitness testing included in this and also what are the required amount of situps pushups etc ...do you have to do chin-ups (lol not my strong point)?

juster

HSC
N/A
thanks for clearing that up a bit, i dont really know which one, the more i read the more appealing the army seems im still unsure.
Is there anybody thats done a gap year that can tell me a bit more about what they did?
and is there any time off/holidays during the program or is it just 12 mnths straight?

olli!

HSC
:D Got an assesment day! just wondering is the fitness testing included in this and also what are the required amount of situps pushups etc ...do you have to do chin-ups (lol not my strong point)?
I know its 15 pushups, 45 situps and 7.5 beep test for males.
It'll be less pushups and situps for females I think, but the same beep test?

Abok

HSC
Have people who have an assessment comming up, did you all complete all 56 questions in the online test? I only got through 50 or so, im sure i got everything i did right though, just wondering if they will only be taking the max scorers. Hope i get an interview :/
And can someone clarify the 80 day training components. Ive seen the 'march out' happening on just day 45, what happens for the rest?

ila3

HSC
what is this online test lol? maybe something new....

i believe you have to do your fitness assessment somethling like 6 weeks before enlistment (or maybe its 4?) so i doubt it'd be on your assessment day (i didn't have it on my assessment day)

oh ok thanks!:D

rizz_31

HSC
thanks for clearing that up a bit, i dont really know which one, the more i read the more appealing the army seems im still unsure.
Is there anybody thats done a gap year that can tell me a bit more about what they did?
and is there any time off/holidays during the program or is it just 12 mnths straight?
hey man, just to add to what aragami said before, the navy and airforce you can drop out at any time as far as i'm aware, but the army only has an 80day 'drop-out' period, which is the basic training component, after which ur locked in for the 12 months...

having said that, its not just administrative stuff...think work experience on crack lol...ur doing the same initial training as full-time etc would except you only do it for a year.

The army definately offers more specific jobs for Gap year, like aragami said, than navy or airforce which are quite general, but it depends what you want to get out of the year...navy pays more than army, army is more physically demanding and rewarding etc.

From what i've been told, people are entitled to 4 weeks off per year of service, but apparently not many gap year people take these 4 weeks because they're so keen to stay!

go to the defenceforce website if ur keen to find out more, personally i think its gunna be an awesome program. i cant imagine being stuck in a boring uni for 4years after ive come out of 12years of school lol

Auraden

HSC
hey guys,

i was just wondering did any1 else get a email title UPDATE. i got around 2 days ago does this mean ill be getting a YOU session soon? anyway this is wat it said.

Thank you for your patience and congratulations for applying early in this year’s campaign.

It won’t be long before you know if you will get the opportunity to Fill in the Gap – and take the ultimate 12-month challenge.

Fitness is a key part of the Australian Defence Force; if you don’t have a fitness program we suggest you commence a training routine now.

Last edited:

Dusty09

HSC
hey guys,

i was just wondering did any1 else get a email title UPDATE. i got around 2 days ago does this mean ill be getting a YOU session soon? anyway this is wat it said.
Yep how long ago did you apply? we all got a similar one shortly after applying and before a YOU session was offered.

From what i gather, They tried to put a lot of 'Gappies' through YOU sessions and (To a lessor extent) Assessment days, together.

They ran a first round earlier, of which many here were apart, and they will do another in Mid September after it all closes up.

Thats what i heard....

Dusty09

HSC
what is this online test lol? maybe something new....

i believe you have to do your fitness assessment somethling like 6 weeks before enlistment (or maybe its 4?) so i doubt it'd be on your assessment day (i didn't have it on my assessment day)
Yep, Online test was a way of Filtering out some of the incredible masses, of applicants they got for the gap year.

Fitness test is still conducted a few weeks before Enlistment, The medical however inlcudes something like 10 sit ups and 10 push ups which is done on the assessment day.

Auraden

HSC
i applied on the 21st of july.

and dust have u been enlisted? and if so what position?

Dusty09

HSC
and dust have u been enlisted? and if so what position?
Haven't been enlisted yet, have my assessment day really soon, Love doing it during trials thanks DFR.

I'm pretty keen and i know a fair bit from some friends who have gone before me.

I'm Going for "Surveillance Aircraft Operator" in Army, (Up until last week it was called operator meteorology and survey)

What's everyone else going for?

Auraden

HSC
hey,

i have'nt had my YOU session yet to fully decide what job to pick but so far im thinking either, artilleryman, artillery- air defender or just going in as a soldier. im hoping that the YOU session will really narrow it down.

Last edited:

Tim_107

HSC
hey how long did it take in between handing in ur papers after you YOU day and getting a call about an assessment date? i handed my papers in 2 weeks ago, got a call last week saying where are they? called them up on friday, and got told they screwed up, now i'm waiting, she said two weeks, but people i know have got them in like 4 days after handing their papers in?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)